SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #101
garydiny

I am willing to wager that his medical team knows/understands very little about the Neuromatrix and most certainly little about the entire right side, and processing circles of the diagram. The cognitive and emotion areas on the left side are likely being ignored as well.

As a golfer and someone that works with golfers in rehab, I would speculate that his 2009 defeat in the PGA Championship to little known (at that time) Y.E. Yang began a significant unraveling of things for Mr. Woods. The well covered events with his ex-wife, caddie, and others likely factor in to the stew as well.

The parallel to this is Andre Agassi...went from top 5 (tennis) to bottom and back after some various life changing issues. It took some time and the right "rehab" for that to happen.
garydiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #102
Ken Jakalski

Thanked 2,107 Times in 970 Posts

It seems as if Tiger's advisors are those who are still approaching his problems by considering his problem from a structural or psychological standpoint. It may not his muscles or his emotional approach undermining his performance--but his brain.

In discussing why some of the greatest golfers of all time were plagued with the "yips," while putting (like Ben Hogan), the late Chicago neurologist Dr. Harold Klawans noted the following in his book, Why Michael Couldn't Hit:

"So what happens in the brain? We do not yet have an answer. As far as we know the brains of patients with dystonias look normal when examined under a conventional microscope after the patient has died. All that means is that there is no anatomic abnormality; no particular group of cells has been injured, no collection of neurons has died. They can just no longer do what is demanded of them. Why is that? The answer may well be in that they weren't designed to perform like that in the first place, and after years of performing above and beyond the call of duty and function, they eventually no longer can do it. That's when dystonia rears its head, or more characteristically, rears a finger or a thumb."
Ken Jakalski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Jakalski For This Useful Post:
Barrett Dorko (21-04-2017), nari (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #103
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 8,738 Times in 3,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jakalski View Post
It seems as if Tiger's advisors are those who are still approaching his problems by considering his problem from a structural or psychological standpoint. It may not his muscles or his emotional approach undermining his performance--but his brain.

In discussing why some of the greatest golfers of all time were plagued with the "yips," while putting (like Ben Hogan), the late Chicago neurologist Dr. Harold Klawans noted the following in his book, Why Michael Couldn't Hit:

"So what happens in the brain? We do not yet have an answer. As far as we know the brains of patients with dystonias look normal when examined under a conventional microscope after the patient has died. All that means is that there is no anatomic abnormality; no particular group of cells has been injured, no collection of neurons has died. They can just no longer do what is demanded of them. Why is that? The answer may well be in that they weren't designed to perform like that in the first place, and after years of performing above and beyond the call of duty and function, they eventually no longer can do it. That's when dystonia rears its head, or more characteristically, rears a finger or a thumb."
Sort of like, they used up all their juice?
Another possibility is, the synaptic junctions have used up all theirs, and they can't inhibit properly anymore the surrounding neuronal array to limit movement to the desired target movement. True smudge-ification.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #104
Jo Bowyer

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,656 Posts

I know very little about golf, but having worked in sport(s) on the performance enhancement side as well as management of injuries, I am sometimes asked to look at someone who is frustrated by appearance of the "yips". I do my usual CH and exam and usually it is just a case of helping them to become better embodied and the development of fascination with, as opposed to fear of, movement. As ever, the possibility of red flags is a consideration. One gentleman who was referred on was confirmed as having Parkinson's Disease.
Jo Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #105
John W
"Mean Poopy-Pants" Club Founding Member

Thanked 5,244 Times in 1,921 Posts

Ken,
That story reminds me of a similar one about the guitar prodigy, Billy McLaughlin. I watched him live in the early 90's, and I'd never seen someone play a guitar like that- unbelievable skill and creativity. In fact, I heard- don't know if it's true- that Eddie Van Halen was inspired to play on the fret board by Billy McLaughlin.

He developed focal dystonia in his right hand, and it nearly ended his career. He learned, however, to compensate in a spectacular way. Amazing story:
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John W For This Useful Post:
amacs (19-09-2015), Bas Asselbergs (11-02-2015), caro (12-02-2015), gcdpt (02-12-2015), Jguid19 (12-02-2015), Ken Jakalski (11-02-2015), nari (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 03:44 AM   #106
Jguid19

That is beyond impressive
Old 19-09-2015, 03:57 AM   #107
Jamie R

Back under the knife...

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/tiger-w...ry?id=33871448
Jamie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 05:36 AM   #108
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Is anyone going to lay odds on the theory that the disc fragment removal (ahem?) will "cure" Tiger of ongoing pain?
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 05:47 AM   #109
Jo Bowyer

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,656 Posts

Is Park City Utah well known for spinal neurosurgery centres of excellence? Genuine question from a curious Brit.
Jo Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #110
Johnny_Nada

Thanked 1,615 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nari View Post
Is anyone going to lay odds on the theory that the disc fragment removal (ahem?) will "cure" Tiger of ongoing pain?
...About as much as the first one...
Old 20-09-2015, 03:45 AM   #111
garydiny

I read that it was successful???? Only guess(es) that I have as to what that means.

1. Tiger Woods did not die.
2. They removed whatever piece of tissue they were after.
garydiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garydiny For This Useful Post:
Bas Asselbergs (21-09-2015), John W (20-09-2015)
Old 20-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #112
John W
"Mean Poopy-Pants" Club Founding Member

Thanked 5,244 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps, but I'm doubtful that it will cure the downward spiral of his golf game.
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #113
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,964 Posts

I think that location of symptoms is overrated in the case of painful output here.

And to think - Tiger can afford the best advice, but he doesn't take any of ours.
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #114
amacs
A bear of little brain

article on the matter in BJSM here

I like the way this has been written by a world authority, I like the careful diplomatic language of what could be a very charged subject.

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Last edited by amacs; 21-09-2015 at 11:43 AM.
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amacs For This Useful Post:
Jo Bowyer (21-09-2015), Keith (21-09-2015)
Old 21-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #115
smith

Like Tiger, this young lady too had "stuff" removed. Although a might more important piece of anatomy!
http://training-conditioning.com/con...ussion-horrors

"Surgery to remove scar tissue in the back of her head." Same results as Tiger too, Unfortunately.

Last edited by smith; 21-10-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: sounded better
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 02:00 AM   #116
Johnny_Nada

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/1...iscomfort-back
Old 31-10-2015, 03:37 AM   #117
Ryan A
Student of Hadler

https://soundcloud.com/bmjpodcasts/p...-strength/sets
Old 02-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #118
Jamie R

Was surprised to see him sort of suggesting it might be done...

http://mweb.cbssports.com/golf/eye-o...-end-of-career
Jamie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #119
Johnny_Nada

I'm curious how many microdiscetomies you can do to one location? He said he's had 3 to the same spot….

Steve Kerr

Mike Dunleavy
Old 02-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #120
amacs
A bear of little brain

how many micro's make a macro?

Maybe anything less than a full discectomy is a micro?

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #121
gcdpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Sort of like, they used up all their juice?
Another possibility is, the synaptic junctions have used up all theirs, and they can't inhibit properly anymore the surrounding neuronal array to limit movement to the desired target movement. True smudge-ification.
I agree and have a slightly different take on it. Rather than the brain no longer inhibiting properly, the brain is facilitating/creating the dystonia. Not necessarily ascending/descending facilitation but the dystonia is purposeful, and obviously the brain is not "ready" to perform the desired movement. Could it be that there is an advantageous purpose of the dystonia but "we" just don't know what it is?
gcdpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #122
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 8,738 Times in 3,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdpt View Post
I agree and have a slightly different take on it. Rather than the brain no longer inhibiting properly, the brain is facilitating/creating the dystonia. Not necessarily ascending/descending facilitation but the dystonia is purposeful, and obviously the brain is not "ready" to perform the desired movement. Could it be that there is an advantageous purpose of the dystonia but "we" just don't know what it is?
I doubt it.
I agree with removal of inhibition model.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #123
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

He is most likely depressed and I wonder if anyone has bothered to talk to him about this? or is the focus entirely on whatever is left of that unfortunate disc? I think he has been mismanaged but from a distance that would be hard to estimate.
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 01:55 AM   #124
Johnny_Nada

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...2457-golf.html
Old 24-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #125
Ryan A
Student of Hadler

If only Tiger would fire surgeons like he fires caddies.
Old 24-02-2016, 03:12 AM   #126
Johnny_Nada

His agent is saying these reports are false. Having seen many people with three or more back surgeries, I've yet to see any of them tolerate much more than a reclined position. I'm curious how long it will be until he undergoes a fusion.
Old 20-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #127
Ryan A
Student of Hadler

Default on cue...

Tiger undergoes fusion.

Now, how long till they diagnose him with failed back syndrome?
Old 20-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #128
Johnny_Nada

I hate when I'm right....
Old 21-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #129
Johnny_Nada

There are so many things I think when looking at Tiger's initial on-set to now having four back surgeries. I can only say so much not having a true understanding of his symptoms and issues. That said I have a few questions to ask:

What if Tiger simply stayed away from formal "treatment" and went on feel i.e. let things calm and build back up?

What if he was given simple re-assurance and not provided "treatment" under the context of structural abnormality?

What if someone blatantly and truthfully told him the evidence for ineffectiveness of injections and back surgery?

What if he accepted his limitations, current situation, made amends and got on with a life outside of his sports career?

Am I the only one that needs to say "Tiger, I'm sorry, but you are a perfect example of every thing that's wrong with the treatment of low back pain. You've been provided with an outdated understanding of low back pain and an ineffective yet harmful surgery. I understand you have pain, but the treatments provided to you are ineffective for you concerns."

I'm sure what I've said can and will come under scrutiny. But I stand by this:

Those treating people with back pain would better serve people by NOT TREATING it. Those with back pain, may be better served by simply accepting and moving on with their life. Given the current state of low back pain treatment, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited by Johnny_Nada; 21-04-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Johnny_Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny_Nada For This Useful Post:
Barrett Dorko (21-04-2017)
Old 21-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #130
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Nothing surprising here and I agree with Johnny. It means very little if not a thing. I'm influential but not powerful. I think. I'm pretty sure.

I spent some time with one of the PTs "on tour" with the likes of other PGA golfers years ago. What he didn't know appalled me. Of course, I changed all of that.

Actually, I didn't change anything.

I think Tiger is a lesson for many of us, but, believe it or not, not vocal enough to say what the culture might hear. I'd say his celebrity wasn't large enough either. As big as he was, how many play golf or hear anything he says?

More money than he can spend, but he listens to someone aside from us.
Old 21-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #131
Nomadic
PT in Phoenix, AZ

The crappy thing for these guys is that one missed putt costs them $500,000. One missed tournament can cost a million bucks. 5 missed seasons is millions and millions of dollars. If I were in his shoes and my choices were "do nothing and be reassured," and "lets try one more surgery," I would probably make the same choice. His career is over, as unfortunate as it is. I've worked with golfers before and it is one of those sports where the athlete can make an amazing amount of money, but one bad season will end a money stream. The other problem is these guys rarely have anything else to fall back on as an income stream that is anywhere close to the level that pro golf provides. Imagine if you had to take a 95% pay cut to be pain reduced.

My opinions and statements on this site are not a reflection of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Federal government.
Nomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #132
mortene

His narrative seems to be packed with so called dysfunctions and bogus diagnoses

It's a tragic industry.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #133
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Maybe we aren't built to tolerate that kind of rotation? Of course, we seem not to be built for American football either. Woody Hayes always said that "God invented the knee before he invented football."

A great line.

Better we should just juggle, but I'm rather biased.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
Bas Asselbergs (22-04-2017)
Old 22-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #134
Johnny_Nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
The crappy thing for these guys is that one missed putt costs them $500,000. One missed tournament can cost a million bucks. 5 missed seasons is millions and millions of dollars. If I were in his shoes and my choices were "do nothing and be reassured," and "lets try one more surgery," I would probably make the same choice. His career is over, as unfortunate as it is. I've worked with golfers before and it is one of those sports where the athlete can make an amazing amount of money, but one bad season will end a money stream. The other problem is these guys rarely have anything else to fall back on as an income stream that is anywhere close to the level that pro golf provides. Imagine if you had to take a 95% pay cut to be pain reduced.
Old 22-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #135
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Speaking of professional golfers as if they worried about things more than any other human being seems ridiculous to me.

They have chosen a path that requires regular practice, luck, good looks and talent. There are probably a few other things in there.

Anyway, the requirements sound familiar.
Old 23-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #136
Johnny_Nada

Nomadic,

For some reason my message did not come through above.

I don't want to get into a discussion about money and someone that had the highest income amongst all world athletes time and time again. Money is no object for this particular person.

I echo Barrett's comment. What difference does it make if its a construction worker or Tiger? Are there things one can do? They could pursue other occupations but most don't. I see countless individuals 50 and above struggling to continue as brick masons, roofers, landscapers, laborers. I continue rehabbing them after a knee meniscectomy, shoulder arthroscopy and lumbar procedures. They all have something in common.

Some things are not well suited for an aging population. Some occupations require a physical capacity of 100%. Anything less may result in one's inability to compete (professional sports) or complete (physical occupations).

If one is not ready or willing to accept their limitations and alter their path, then healthcare will be happy to step in. Unfortunately for Tiger, and many of the aging workforce I see, the results are what John W called in a recent thread, a tragedy.

So who do we call out. The distressed, suffering individual not willing to accept or alter their lifestyle, occupation, etc?

Or

Healthcare willing to provide "treatment" without benefit, countless harms and a likely path toward disability?

What a mess...

Last edited by Johnny_Nada; 23-04-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Johnny_Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny_Nada For This Useful Post:
John W (23-04-2017)
Old 23-04-2017, 02:59 AM   #137
proud

Thanked 2,118 Times in 761 Posts

Deadpool....perfect anti-pseudoscience superhero there Johnny.
proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #138
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

There's a long thread on Facebook about the failure of Tiger's treatment. It's on the Explaining Pain Science page.

I'm of the notion that human bodies aren't built for that kind of rotation and that the ones in charge of Tiger's treatment don't know what they might. I assume that the therapists think that pain is an input.

It's not possible to change that belief and it begins before neuroscience discovered otherwise.
Old 23-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #139
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

John's post #105 is about someone dealing with focal dystonia. Though not painful, it is one of those things addressed by Ramachandran in the '90s (yes, during the last century) and reported on at an APTA convention I attended.

When I worked and taught in the teens of this century none of the therapists I encountered had heard of either Ramachandran or the mirror box and procedures he proposed. They were too busy "helping others" to learn anything they had found adequate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
John W (23-04-2017)