SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Welcome, Bienvenue...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Welcome, Bienvenue... This forum is intended for a brief presentation of our members.

Old 16-05-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
LeslieH

Default Hello from a middle-aged layperson

Moral: Never send a research scientist a patient/client intake form with odd-seeming jargon on it.

The Tale: I'm a fifty-something research scientist who's noticed loss of strength and function in many settings over the last few years. I'm not an athlete, but I'm a homeowner and a gardener; I want to be able to carry my half of a sheet of plywood, wrangle garbage cans full of homemade compost, and dig a lot of dandelions without cramping up and/or aching.

Many years ago a physical therapist told me my body tended to use the wrong muscles to do various jobs; a massage therapist (PUSH therapy) has told me the same. Pilates has been suggested as a good thing for me to try, but then 2 professionals I trust suggested a particular physical trainer. We talked last week, he emailed me some forms to fill out before my in-person consultation and assessment tomorrow ... and one question was, "Do you own any Z-Health/FMS training products?"

It turns out that if you google "Z-Health", and read the site, and then you google "Z-Health review", you end up here!

I've spent the last 6 hours combing this site and its links. I've cancelled my in-person consultation and assessment with the Z-Health/FMS/DNS/Chek trainer, and now am trying to get some idea of what might be a good avenue to pursue. I appreciate all the resources here, but will also take suggestions!

- Leslie
LeslieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 02:33 AM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 4,956 Times in 2,987 Posts

Leslie,

You really shouldn't read Titanic III or any of the Sunday series preceding it.

I'm glad you're here. Now that you've read some of this, it strikes me that you might have noticed that the scientific method hasn't been used as anticipated.

Would you agree?
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 3,035 Times in 1,286 Posts

Hi Leslie!
First, "using the wrong muscles" is a very big stretch for anyone to conclude - and I doubt it.
Second, if you find yourself cramping or aching, there are many factors that could be at play here, and it is impossible to provide any deep advice regarding your concern.
One thing I CAN say is that you could get into a regular yoga practice (a yoga flow) for helping awareness of what your body needs and attain some physical goals.

A mix of flexibility and strength are good things to pursue generally as we age (I am 65, so I feel comfortable using that word with you!).

I would certainly not get into any extensive "programmes" that "target" specific postures, supposed "weaknesses" in muscle patterns - there is simply not enough in your history thus far to suggest you need that.

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 4,956 Times in 2,987 Posts

Bas,

You've forgotten to mention that postures and weaknesses might be blamed for any complaint of pain.

After all, the therapist (whomever they might be) knows more than the patient, and the patient is driven by many things.

Just thought I'd say that.
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
Bas Asselbergs (16-05-2017)
Old 16-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 8,749 Times in 3,990 Posts

Hi Leslie, welcome to Somasimple.
Any of Paul Hodges research in the last 10 years or so (and he is a good researcher who has killed a lot of wrong ideas, even a few he himself once held dear) indicates that the brain uses different muscles (motor control strategy) every time it does a movement. Every single time.
Even if the same action were repeated (identically, to an outside observer) a hundred times.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Barrett Dorko (16-05-2017), Bas Asselbergs (16-05-2017), smith (16-05-2017)