SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > WWW The Wild Wise World > The Surfing Amigos
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

The Surfing Amigos The virtual worlds of our members.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
mariale

Default Neuro Linguistic Programming?

Hi there, have you heard about Neuro Linguisting Programming (PNL)?

I think it is a very powerful method to control your brain and body, do you have any successful experience with it?

One of my friends uses it to boost his resistance in the gym, I'd like to give it a try
mariale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
marcel
SomaSimpler

Nlp and it's promises may sound attractive however the scientific evidence is lacking and if you'd asked my opinion: it is potential dangerous psychological manipulation.

However I think the best advice is use your own Critical Thinking, There's an old saying: "if it sounds to good to be true it mostly isn't"

Quote:
Messing with your head: Does the man behind Neuro-Linguistic Programming want to change your life – or control your mind?

You got a problem? Go see Richard Bandler. As the founder of the controversial, multi-billion-dollar therapy NLP, he can get inside your head, and quick. But how did a former cocaine user and murder suspect become a guru to over 30,000 people in the UK? Kate Burt signs up for a session
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...e-1774383.html

Quote:
http://skepdic.com/neurolin.html

It seems that NLP develops models which can't be verified, from which it develops techniques which may have nothing to do with either the models or the sources of the models. NLP makes claims about thinking and perception which do not seem to be supported by neuroscience. This is not to say that the techniques won't work. They may work and work quite well, but there is no way to know whether the claims behind their origin are valid. Perhaps it doesn't matter. NLP itself proclaims that it is pragmatic in its approach: what matters is whether it works. However, how do you measure the claim "NLP works"? I don't know and I don't think NLPers know, either. Anecdotes and testimonials seem to be the main measuring devices. Unfortunately, such a measurement may reveal only how well the trainers teach their clients to persuade others to enroll in more training sessions.

If you don't trust me, take a look at:

Thirty-Five Years of Research on Neuro-Linguistic Programming. NLP Research Data Base. State of the Art or Pseudoscientific Decoration?

Research findings on neurolinguistic programming: Nonsupportive data or an untestable theory?

NLP – training’s shameful, fraudulent cult (for what it's worth, I would not classify NLP as a cult, but devotion to Bandler might seem so to some critics)

Neuro Linguistic Programming: Mental health veterans therapy fear

and the Wikipedia article on NLP, which is much more thorough than the SD entry.
cochrane
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481516/

"Evolution is a tinkerer not an engineer" F.Jacob
"Without imperfection neither you nor I would exist" Stephen Hawking

Last edited by marcel; 05-01-2017 at 01:36 PM.
marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcel For This Useful Post:
weni888 (06-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Curious One

I've only met one person who mentioned to me that was an NLP user. He was a massage client of mine, and described how he would use it "on" others to bend them to his way of thinking. I looked it up, to try and see what he was talking about. It was disturbing to me. I am just not comfortable with that.
Need relaxation samples for your office? I have made a Deep Relaxation Massage Music Pandora Station and have others that may also be useful - about 8 massage music stations and about 49 other nifty options.
Curious One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

I attended a NLP two day course and it all seemed rather weird. This was a long time ago but I do remember thinking "why am I here?" (it was free) and wanted a strong coffee.

Our propensity to feel this or do that was all charted and each of us was given a kind of Character analysis. Surprisingly, I agreed with it. But after the course ended......it was a so-what event for me. Others found it useful to have been labelled as a Type of Person. I did not.
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:28 AM   #5
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 4,975 Times in 3,006 Posts

I'm not surprised that you weren't interested in being labeled as a "type" of person Nari.

I wouldn't dare.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

True, Barrett. But it would be intriguing if someone "labelled" you; I don't think they would be successful.
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nari For This Useful Post:
Barrett Dorko (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 4,975 Times in 3,006 Posts

True Nari. If they called me "human" I'd have trouble arguing with that. It means I'm flawed though. Darn!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #8
Richard Finn
SomaSimpler

Default NLP

An NLP practitioner gave a presentation when I was in school. We were then paired up and talked thru doing it with each other. I was told to think of an issue but not say what it was. I decided to bring up the most traumatic memory I could think of. My partner was instructed to ask what I was feeling. I was visibly shaking. I was asked what I was feeling. My answer was , "Rage." They didn't want to deal with that.
Richard Finn is offline   Reply With Quote