Neuro Linguistic Programming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neuro Linguistic Programming?

Hi there, have you heard about Neuro Linguisting Programming (PNL)?

I think it is a very powerful method to control your brain and body, do you have any successful experience with it?

One of my friends uses it to boost his resistance in the gym, I'd like to give it a try

Nlp and it's promises may sound attractive however the scientific evidence is lacking and if you'd asked my opinion: it is potential dangerous psychological manipulation.

However I think the best advice is use your own Critical Thinking, There's an old saying: "if it sounds to good to be true it mostly isn't"

Messing with your head: Does the man behind Neuro-Linguistic Programming want to change your life – or control your mind?

You got a problem? Go see Richard Bandler. As the founder of the controversial, multi-billion-dollar therapy NLP, he can get inside your head, and quick. But how did a former cocaine user and murder suspect become a guru to over 30,000 people in the UK? Kate Burt signs up for a session
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...e-1774383.html

http://skepdic.com/neurolin.html

It seems that NLP develops models which can't be verified, from which it develops techniques which may have nothing to do with either the models or the sources of the models. NLP makes claims about thinking and perception which do not seem to be supported by neuroscience. This is not to say that the techniques won't work. They may work and work quite well, but there is no way to know whether the claims behind their origin are valid. Perhaps it doesn't matter. NLP itself proclaims that it is pragmatic in its approach: what matters is whether it works. However, how do you measure the claim "NLP works"? I don't know and I don't think NLPers know, either. Anecdotes and testimonials seem to be the main measuring devices. Unfortunately, such a measurement may reveal only how well the trainers teach their clients to persuade others to enroll in more training sessions.

If you don't trust me, take a look at:

Thirty-Five Years of Research on Neuro-Linguistic Programming. NLP Research Data Base. State of the Art or Pseudoscientific Decoration?

Research findings on neurolinguistic programming: Nonsupportive data or an untestable theory?

NLP – training’s shameful, fraudulent cult (for what it's worth, I would not classify NLP as a cult, but devotion to Bandler might seem so to some critics)

Neuro Linguistic Programming: Mental health veterans therapy fear

and the Wikipedia article on NLP, which is much more thorough than the SD entry.
    cochrane
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481516/
    Last edited by marcel; 05-01-2017, 01:36 PM.
    Marcel

"Evolution is a tinkerer not an engineer" F.Jacob
    "Without imperfection neither you nor I would exist" Stephen Hawking

Comment

I've only met one person who mentioned to me that was an NLP user. He was a massage client of mine, and described how he would use it "on" others to bend them to his way of thinking. I looked it up, to try and see what he was talking about. It was disturbing to me. I am just not comfortable with that.
      C.O. ( gender: ) - LMT, BS(Anatomy), DC
      Music Fog... pick a song to listen to... you can't go wrong.
      Need relaxation samples for your office? I have made a Deep Relaxation Massage Music Pandora Station and have others that may also be useful - about 8 massage music stations and about 49 other nifty options.

Comment

I attended a NLP two day course and it all seemed rather weird. This was a long time ago but I do remember thinking "why am I here?" (it was free) and wanted a strong coffee.

Our propensity to feel this or do that was all charted and each of us was given a kind of Character analysis. Surprisingly, I agreed with it. But after the course ended......it was a so-what event for me. Others found it useful to have been labelled as a Type of Person. I did not.

Comment

I'm not surprised that you weren't interested in being labeled as a "type" of person Nari.

I wouldn't dare.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

True, Barrett. But it would be intriguing if someone "labelled" you; I don't think they would be successful.

Comment

True Nari. If they called me "human" I'd have trouble arguing with that. It means I'm flawed though. Darn!
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

NLP

An NLP practitioner gave a presentation when I was in school. We were then paired up and talked thru doing it with each other. I was told to think of an issue but not say what it was. I decided to bring up the most traumatic memory I could think of. My partner was instructed to ask what I was feeling. I was visibly shaking. I was asked what I was feeling. My answer was , "Rage." They didn't want to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Finn View Post
                  An NLP practitioner gave a presentation when I was in school. We were then paired up and talked thru doing it with each other. I was told to think of an issue but not say what it was. I decided to bring up the most traumatic memory I could think of. My partner was instructed to ask what I was feeling. I was visibly shaking. I was asked what I was feeling. My answer was , "Rage." They didn't want to deal with that.
                  That practitioner may have had difficulty dealing with strong emotions. Many practitioners don't cope and it takes a lot of practice to avoid the 2 common response errors: 1) blocking/distancing... and 2) fixing/helping. Blocking/distancing is what most surgeons do. Fixing/helping is what most alternative medicine people do. Neither is appropriate because neither is helpful.

Blocked energy must be met with acceptance. Requires a laser focus, courage+, a bit of humour and self-compassion.

The danger for the practitioner is that if a client is expressing rage, then that rage could suddenly seek an immediate object for relief. I'm talking about transference. The skill is to realize in the heat of the moment that it's (probably) not about you the therapist and that some deep hurt or fear lies underneath. The speed at which the client goes from rage to anxiety or rage to hurt will reflect the skill of the therapist. If the patient falls silent, he has been blocked or 'helped'.
                  Last edited by EG-Physio; 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

The part where pt falls silent, (he/she was helped) could be problematic. Current research paints a different picture. It pt becomes resigned (silent) to hopelessness/sighing, than these are the best predictors of self harm. Pt was not helped.

Comment

Originally posted by smith View Post
                      The part where pt falls silent, (he/she was helped) could be problematic. Current research paints a different picture. It pt becomes resigned (silent) to hopelessness/sighing, than these are the best predictors of self harm. Pt was not helped.
                      I know it might be an awkward position for you, but we're in agreement. 'Helped' was put into quotation for a very important reason. Read my post again and you'll see it's all there.

Comment

I'm amazed at what EG "may" "know."
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I have people who challenge me in certain areas unrelated to Physio, and I must admit at times I get upset at them. Change is hard. Growth is hard. If it wasn't, we would have all arrived at our destination.

Comment

"Blocked energy must be met with acceptance".
                            No, first there must be evidence that there is such a thing.
                            AND that it is significantly related to the issue the patient sees us for.

And not just in the mind of the practitioner.
                            We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                            Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

EG,

You have seemed to arrived at your destination already, and now you're trying to take this board on the same path. Some of us know that there are many paths, and that the trip is more important that the destination.

Provision of plausibility and some defense of what you assert might be nice.

That's what is expected of those contributing here. I thought so anyway.
                              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X