Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Serbia

Hi all,

My name is Aleksandar Šišković, Alex is shorter and simpler version. I am from Novi Sad, Serbia. I have finished physiotherapy high school for physiotherapy assistant (technician), and 3 year school of integrative approach to manual therapy (integration of osteopathy, chiropractics and manual therapy). Last year I started physiotherapy bachelors degree, and I am 2nd year now. Not that I need knowledge, I need diploma in my country

I am not really proud of it but many years ago I finished Barral's courses on visceral manipulation and Croibier's neural manipulation. I was also really deep into osteopathic biomechanical approach to cranial manipulation.

Recently I got to hear Peter O'Sullivan and Lorimer Moseley talks on youtube and I was hooked. Then I had revelation with Jason Silvernail talks and interviews. He spoke about things I was thinking about. And when I came to visit this forum my mind was further blown. Jason's posts, Diane Jacobs, Barret Dorko, and all the topics, criticism... Just wow

I am really happy to have discovered this forum and I hope to find good resources to cross the chasm.

You’re welcome Aleksandar.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
    We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    bernard

Comment

Welcome Aleksandar,

Your written English, is so impressive!

I don't think that anything we ever study is wasted, many of our patients are still trying the approaches you mention above. If we have practiced these methods in the past, we are well placed to explain to our patients why we decided to move on.
      Jo Bowyer
      Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
      "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by bernard View Post
        You’re welcome Aleksandar.
        Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Bowyer View Post
          Welcome Aleksandar,

Your written English, is so impressive!

I don't think that anything we ever study is wasted, many of our patients are still trying the approaches you mention above. If we have practiced these methods in the past, we are well placed to explain to our patients why we decided to move on.
          Thank you Jo,

You should hear me speak. You would not believe it's the same person

Some approaches like cranial work, is maybe magical thinking, but I have some really crazy results that I can explain to myself through the cranial work lens, but it does not mean its true. That is the biggest problem for me, that some techniques give so good continous results but there is no concrete evidence behind them to back them up.

I guess it's a life long search for best explanations.

Comment

• Jo Bowyer
            Jo Bowyer commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Aleksander,

I have been a cranial osteopath since the mid 1980s and have learned with some of the earlier practitioners. Rollin Becker was seriously impressive as a table tutor! When I talk about cranial work with patients, I tell them about the original theories and then go on to explain it in terms of current neuroscience, which is constantly evolving. If someone says that my explanation is different to last time, I tell them that I have read a lot of papers since their last visit. It should be a life long search, I wouldn't want to see a practitioner who had become fossilized.

Cranial Osteopathy. IJOM papers from last 4 years.

https://www.somasimple.com/forums/fo...m-last-4-years

This is in the Sound of Silence. You need a certain number of posts before you can access it.
          Jo Bowyer
          "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Bowyer View Post
            Cranial Osteopathy. IJOM papers from last 4 years.

https://www.somasimple.com/forums/fo...m-last-4-years

This is in the Sound of Silence. You need a certain number of posts before you can access it.
            Wow. Learning from the best Thank you for info.

After reading all the papers, do you still believe in biomechanical model of bones moving into flexion and extension? Sphenobasilar restrictions and variations of it? Believing you can stretch and relax dura mater from the outside pressure?
            Last edited by a.siskovic; 20-12-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Jo Bowyer
              Jo Bowyer commented
              Editing a comment
              No it is a lovely idea, but no one has found evidence for it. Light touch is relaxing in and of itself and may induce relaxation, temporary pain relief and euphoria. This combined with science based education and encouragement to move and load can be helpful.

• a.siskovic
              a.siskovic commented
              Editing a comment
              That is really some shift. I did not expect it to be so dramatic

Touch is a powerful form of communication, which is why it is so important that the conversations we have with patients are science based and evidence informed, despite the fact that some patients will only hear what they want to hear.

I have had a particularly difficult clinic today. Besides having to deal with someone with norovirus, presenting as low back pain, another said that they had a bone out of place and a third told me that they had a slipped disc. These patients and their families have been with me for years and appear to have learned nothing. I did see someone on Thursday who hasn't been in for five years and has remembered most of what I told him.

The brain is a prediction engine. I sometimes wonder if we are hard wiring unhelpful priors by making patients feel better with touch rather than talk.
            Jo Bowyer

Comment

Working...
            X