Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hello,

I'm a recent graduate (May 2016). I have worked for a busy private practice outpatient clinic since graduation. While in school, I did not look into current research about anything I was taught. Since graduating and not having to worry about homework and studying, I have spent more time looking into research, listening to podcasts, reading PT blogs etc. Much of what I was taught in school and on clinicals doesn't appear to have as much relevance as I thought. There was so much more about pain science and biopsychosocial approach I feel I was not exposed to.

The majority of the PTs and PTAs I work with operate from a postural structural approach. Modalities everywhere. Check alignment of everything, visceral manipulation, spine/pelvic out of alignment, craniosacral, cupping, dry needling and manual for everything. The more I read, the more I feel I need to move towards a different approach. I don't have an in person mentor in the direction I'm heading, hope to find some guidance here. Been lurking for a few days and think this will be a great resource for my journey!

Welcome,

You can still learn a lot in "modality land" by observing those who are genuinely interested and engaged with their patients as opposed to those who process them with an eye on the clock for going home time.
    Jo Bowyer
    Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Welcome.

Any classmates? Any that you might talk to?
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Thank you both for the welcome.

I've certainly still learned a great deal here and enjoy going to work overall. The majority of my coworkers are very empathetic and it shows in their patient care. The therapist who probably uses the most dubious treatments evidence-wise is also one of the most caring individuals I've met and gets great results with her patients. I'm trying to follow her lead without feeling like a snake oil salesman.

Thankfully, I do have other classmates I talk to. I work with another classmate who was hired alongside me I talk with and bounce ideas off of when we have time which unfortunately isn't very often. Several good friends from school who work at other clinics I talk with daily in group text too. We share some PT stuff, but most of our discussion revolves around nonclinical topics. I've been trying to stimulate more PT related discourse lately though.

Comment

The therapist who probably uses the most dubious treatments evidence-wise is also one of the most caring individuals I've met and gets great results with her patients. I'm trying to follow her lead without feeling like a snake oil salesman.
          It is often the way. Most soothing treatments will induce a placebo response, painful proceedures can induce descending noxious inhibitory control.

Giving patients up to date science based explanations in such a way that they understand what is going on and become enthused by your proposed management plan, can also get great results.
          Jo Bowyer
          Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
          "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Welcome,
            Last edited by marcel; 26-02-2017, 12:39 AM.
            Marcel

"Evolution is a tinkerer not an engineer" F.Jacob
            "Without imperfection neither you nor I would exist" Stephen Hawking

Comment

Welcome

Geralyn

Comment

Hello there guys I hope you are doing well.

Comment

Working...
                X