Hello from NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from NYC

Hi all, my name is Cameron, and I am a PT student at NYU. I have been a lurker (is that still the correct word?) here for a little over a year now, but finally decided I would create an account and formally introduce myself.

I have learned so much from reading the forums, as well as the personal blogs/facebook posts/etc, and I can honestly say I would not be the same student I am today if it weren't for all of you. So, thank you, and hello. I hope to continue learning from this great community.

Cameron

Welcome Cameron!
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Thank you, Diane. I enjoyed your talk at the 2015 Pain Summit!

Comment

Were you there?
        Diane
        www.dermoneuromodulation.com
        SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
        HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
        Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
        @PainPhysiosCan
        WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
        @WCPTPTPN
        Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Welcome, Cameron!
          We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
          Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Welcome Cameron.
            Jo Bowyer
            Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
            "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Welcome aboard, Cameron.

Please remember - participation/lurking here may be great for improving your patient care, but is not necessarily a good way of passing classes, impressing CIs, or prepping for your boards.

Keep your eye on the prize too!

Respectfully,
              Keith
              Blog: Keith's Korner
              Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Glad to see you here, Cameron. Try not to spend too much time on here while you're studying for a test. I've already made that mistake and it doesn't end well.

Comment

Hello Cameron!

Have you begun your clinicals? I'm a PT in the Oswego County in Upstate NY. There are a couple of ortho clinics in the area who practice based on modern pain science. Unfortunately, the medical center I work at has put student clinicals on hold due to various issues. The other clinic that understands pain science is in the Syracuse. I can get their contact info for you if you are interested.

You may find that clinicians will find terms like fear avoidance, catastrophization, threat response, therapeutic alliance, the neuromatrix model and etc are unfamiliar. But we are all learning

Rex
                  Last edited by rex08; 30-08-2016, 01:45 AM.
                  Rex Fujiwara, MPT,OCS
                  Physical Therapist
                  www.painsciencecenter.com

Comment

Diane, I was not, but did watch your talk online. I will NOT be missing it this year though!

Comment

Bass and Jo, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                        Welcome aboard, Cameron.

Please remember - participation/lurking here may be great for improving your patient care, but is not necessarily a good way of passing classes, impressing CIs, or prepping for your boards.

Keep your eye on the prize too!

Respectfully,
                        Keith
                        Keith, I hear you, and it is something I struggle with - especially as the next semester approaches. As long as I am strategic with my (school) education and CI interactions, I think I'll be ok

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Danziger View Post
                          Glad to see you here, Cameron. Try not to spend too much time on here while you're studying for a test. I've already made that mistake and it doesn't end well.
                          Matt, great to see you here as well. I always enjoy your posts and learning from you. We should get together sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by rex08 View Post
                            Hello Cameron!

Have you begun your clinicals? I'm a PT in the Oswego County in Upstate NY. There are a couple of ortho clinics in the area who practice based on modern pain science. Unfortunately, the medical center I work at has put student clinicals on hold due to various issues. The other clinic that understands pain science is in the Syracuse. I can get their contact info for you if you are interested.

You may find that clinicians will find terms like fear avoidance, catastrophization, threat response, therapeutic alliance, the neuromatrix model and etc are unfamiliar. It will be a challenge.

Rex
                            Hi Rex, great to meet you! I am just now finishing up one of my affiliations, but will have two more next year. That's very kind of you to offer, and I might just PM you in the future for details. Are you from California?

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron_Yuen View Post
                              Matt, great to see you here as well. I always enjoy your posts and learning from you. We should get together sometime!
                              Well I'm glad someone enjoys it...

I'm game to get together whenever our schedules cross-over. Feel free to PM me here or on facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X