Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all.

Hi all,

I'm new here, and am excited to begin sifting through the mass of information. I'm very interested in a more informed, gentle, and evidence based approach to manual therapy and pain management.

I'm a LMT here in Michigan. I'm a recent grad of massage school, and currently work at a local chiro office as a MT.

I came to SS via Alice Santivo's "Massage St. Louis" blog. I learned of DNM through Walt Fritz's website, blog, and MedBridge CE's. My first exposure to a neurological explanation of soft tissue work came from Ove Indergaard's "An Introduction to Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Manipulation". My first exposure to a far gentler approach to manual therapy was through Jones' "Strain Counterstrain", at it's positional release off-shoots.

I'm excited to dig in!

Cheers,
    Kerry

Welcome aboard, Kerry.

Respectfully,
    Keith
    Blog: Keith's Korner
    Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Kerry,

Welcome.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Hi Kerry,
        Welcome.
        If you want to learn more about DNM, you can follow the Dermoneuromodulating group on facebook, and/or take a class from Jason Erickson, who is an MT in Minneapolis.
        Welcome to Somasimple.
        Diane
        www.dermoneuromodulation.com
        SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
        HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
        Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
        @PainPhysiosCan
        WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
        @WCPTPTPN
        Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading some of the "sticky" threads in Diane and Barrett's forums.

I must confess I'm left a bit overwhelmed.

While I was already thinking, and describing my work to my clients, from a neurological perspective, and had already begun to abandon reliance on palpation, ROM testing, muscle testing (a particularly bitter pill for me), and postural assessment, I'm left, after reading some of this stuff, not knowing where to go from here. Many of my previous idols, Eric Dalton, for example, have been solidly knocked from their pedestal.

But now what the hell do I do? (Tongue in cheek there... sort of).

For now, I'll continue to pursue DNM (thanks for the CE suggestion, Diane), and continue to try to understand the neurological aspects of my work.

As I'm sure you may appreciate, MT's often have to approach all this differently: Our comparatively limited training (in the U.S.) is decidedly rife with conjecture and misinformation, and our clients have been conditioned accordingly. So, we MT's have to tread carefully. I'm sure this is the case, too, for PT's, but I think MT clients more often come to MT's with specific pre-existing ideas about what massage should look and feel like.

Eeek. I have a very, very long way to go.

I need to go have a nap now.

Thanks again all...

Cheers,
          Kerry

Comment

Working...
          X