Hi from Alex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Alex

Hello everyone! Alex here. Somewhat-ex personal trainer (I've kept one client) and Feldenkrais practitioner-in-training, been poking around here a while, decided it was time for a proper hello.

I have a somewhat peculiar relationship with my imagination and body image, one that I've been in the process of defining, decoding, and generally making sense of over the past few years. It's the kind of thing that could make a fascinating case study for an Oliver-Sacks-type. It was insidious because it was so subtle. I always felt kinesthetically... off. The frustration of feeling like a constantly-reconfiguring Picasso while going for a squat PR, among other things, led me to try all sorts of different modalities, from chiropractic to physical therapy to SMR to massage to Alexander to meditation to some quack with a Foghorn Leghorn accent who claimed he fixed my liver by thumping stones on my chest while rhythmically shaking his assistant's hand. And, of course, a GP who prescribed some Xanax.

Eventually I stumbled into the Feldenkrais method and found myself in the company of people who
    a) listened to me in a way that suggested they could potentially comprehend what was going on
    b) had some notion of what could be done about it
    c) had some actual success in improving the situation

I was sold, and after two years as a customer, I started practitioner training a year ago. I have both a very open mind and also an enormously sensitive bullshit detector (the latter made it difficult to attend personal training seminars with a straight face). I have a tendency to try to "break" any modality that comes my way. If it can work when I'm passive-aggressively trying to make it NOT work, I know I've found the real deal. Feldenkrais does that for me. Most of the time, anyways.

Looking forward to some cool discussions here.

You're welcome Alex.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
    We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    bernard

Comment

Welcome aboard, Alex.

Respectfully,
      Keith
      Blog: Keith's Korner
      Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Welcome Alex!
        We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
        Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Interesting. Feldenkrais certainly changed me. Many others though, and, being much older than you, I've gathered a bit more information. I've been lucky - and curious.

Welcome Alex.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

It's the only kind of movement therapy that helps my brain makes any sense of physicality, too. Welcome to SomaSimple Alex.
            Diane
            www.dermoneuromodulation.com
            SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
            HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
            Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
            @PainPhysiosCan
            WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
            @WCPTPTPN
            Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Working...
            X