Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found out about from Keith in his comments after his great article (http://keithpkorner.wordpress.com/20...with-maturity/)

Glad I read the comments.
    Byron Selorme -SomaSimpleton and Science Based Yoga Educator
    Shavasana Yoga Center

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by ian s View Post
      http://www.brainpickings.org/index.p...-from-7-years/

I thought some of the reflections here were worthwhile thinking about 1-7 . People should be advised that negative capability is a good thing to cultivate I would suggest that many people here tend to operate from some of the point raised here . Look at point 7 this is why people don't stay . Its very little to do with tone . Its a failure to take on board complexity , think , take time and not be swayed by technicians offering simple mechanical solutions .
      Thanks, Ian...I appreciated #6 as well: "Presence is far more intricate and rewarding an art than productivity."

I realized yesterday in a conversation with my father (re: politics, of course) how I still agree with him on most subjects. However, a few years ago, we had fewer debates; we saw the same problems, disliked the same 'evil-doers' from the other side of the spectrum/aisle and would occasionally disagree on potential solutions.

Yesterday, we were debating endlessly as he continued to come up with the same simple conclusions to complex social and cultural problems while setting up straw men on the other side of the aisle only to them knock down. The conversation was filled with false dichotomies, and while I certainly don't feel that my country is "progressing" in a way that I consider "progressive", I was continually searching for a more collaborative and pragmatic approach to what ails us.

Some people come here with the cognitive/critical thinking tools that they need from day one. Mark Hollis, PatrickL and Milehigh are a handfull of contributors who have joined around the same time as me who immediately come to mind. Others, like myself, have to develop such skills over time. It took 2+ years of evolving thought-processes (developed by interactions on this site and independent reading/viewing/listening) to begin to recognize logical fallacies and appreciate the uncertainties inherent in complex systems. I still have a long way to go (and I imagine most contributors - even the most 'veteran' - here feel the same).

I remember joining the board and fully expecting that it would take time to process the information available here. I didn't realize how transformative it would be for me - not just professionally, but personally as well. As one learns to critically appraise and think through their professional life, it takes a lot of effort to prevent those same processes from bleeding into other aspects of your life, creating as much (or more) dissonance at home with friends and family as it does at work with patients and colleagues.

If people stay and respectfully contribute, over time, they may find themselves on a wonderful ride of self-discovery and personal growth with a greater understanding of why their patients do, say and feel as they do. They can also begin to re-direct that awareness inward to discover even more about themselves, challenging their own ideas as critically as they do the ideas of others. Such is the scientific way, and it is a wonderful thing to witness. Of course, the price of admission for such an experience is - as Ian mentioned - "Allow(ing) yourself the uncomfortable luxury of changing your mind."

I would guess that there are 2 different types of people who come here (yeah, yeah...false dichotomy, I know). There are (1) Collectors, people who are looking for something new to do with a patient or are seeking further confirmation for why what they do works and (2) Seekers, people trying to discover and understand why their patients don't always get better. The first group are necessarily looking for something that is simple and finite. They find what they are looking for (or don't) and they are gone.

Those that are seeking, however, well...it is has been nice talking to you these last few years.

Respectfully,
      Keith
      Blog: Keith's Korner
      Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

The above post by KeithP is from this thread, post 35
        Diane
        www.dermoneuromodulation.com
        SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
        HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
        Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
        @PainPhysiosCan
        WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
        @WCPTPTPN
        Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I can turn here and feel better

Not much to say- just really am feeling grateful for SomaSimple right now. This forum has been the impetus for a great change in my thinking about my work and have helped me grow so much.

Even though I've been busy lately and haven't been on here as much as I like- I know that every time I come, I'm going to have some food for thought.

Comment

I remember joining the board and fully expecting

I remember joining the board and fully expecting that it would take time to process the information available here. I didn't realize how transformative it would be for me - not just professionally, but personally as well. As one learns to critically appraise and think through their professional life, it takes a lot of effort to prevent those same processes from bleeding into other aspects of your life, creating as much (or more) dissonance at home with friends and family as it does at work with patients and colleagues.

Comment

However, every once in awhile

I remember joining the board aHowever, every once in awhile, something, some little twist, some little lightbulb comes on, some little idea wiggles its way up out of someone's subterranean depth of thought, and surfaces, and their world changes by a bit. Or even by a lot. Then SomaSimple is mentioned in the credits, alongside many others. And SomaSimple can feel proud that it exists. :thumbs_upnd fully expecting

Comment

It is relieving to see such honest and scholarly discussion and debate in an accessible public forma

Hello everyone, I just wanted to give my thanks and express my appreciation in the ways you approach your field. It is relieving to see such honest and scholarly discussion and debate in an accessible public format.:clap2: As someone who previously "researched" back pain and physical therapy 2 years ago, imagine my shock and bittersweet delight to find out everything I knew was wrong.

Comment

It is relieving to see such honest and scholarly discussion and debate in an accessible public forma

It is relieving to see such honest and scholarly discussion and debate in an accessible public format.

Comment

Some people come here with the cognitive/critical thinking tools

Some people come here with the cognitive/critical thinking tools that they need from day one. Mark Hollis, PatrickL and Milehigh are a handfull of contributors who have joined around the same time as me who immediately come to mind.:clap2: Others, like myself, have to develop such skills over time.I still have a long way to go (and I imagine most contributors - even the most 'veteran' - here feel the same).

Comment

[The reason Grance has so many posts here is because he or she used a device from which messages needed approval. The 6th one apparently made it all the way through by itself. Welcome Grance - please start a thread in the welcome forum. :angel:]
                      Diane
                      www.dermoneuromodulation.com
                      SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
                      HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
                      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                      Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
                      Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
                      @PainPhysiosCan
                      WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
                      @WCPTPTPN
                      Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
                      SomaSimple on Facebook
                      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone on this site for their continued passion and dedication.

Today, I looked back to my initial 'Welcome' thread here on SS to reflect back and compare my thoughts 2+ years ago to now. When I read that post and contrast it with my latest blog series (which I will add to my thread here, as well), I am very pleased.

I am pleased that I am understanding more, while realizing that I know less than I did before. I am pleased at the increased humility that accompanies that understanding. I am pleased that my approach with patients (and colleagues) continues to evolve. I am pleased with my growth as a person as much as I am my growth as a professional.

More importantly, I am appreciative for the opportunity provided to all of us by Bernard and the mods to be a part of this community. The 'evolution of me' was sparked by each of you, each in your own way. Some of you I have met in person, while there others who I hope to meet in the future...but all of you have had an impact on me in a way that I can never adequately thank you for.

The lives of dead men are rewarding when they are not alone.

Merci.

Gratefully,
                        Keith
                        Blog: Keith's Korner
                        Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Originally posted by rex08 View Post
                          I have to get this off my chest....

For those of you here on SS who are upset about the state of PT and the direction that it is going or the direction that it has been going... I have one important thing to say to you.... yes to you (I would list specific names I don't want to accidentally leave out a name)

THANK YOU for everything you have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

. I learned that every patient as a nervous system and that is what we are treating. I learned how to guide my patients to understand pain and become truly better in some way shape for form.

Sincerely,

Rex (a very happy, excited, and energetic PT thanks to all of your work)

Hi Rex,

I am stealing your sentence about: "every patient is a/has a nervous system" ..and make up my own. "Every patient is a walking nervous system"...
                          Marta

Comment

Originally posted by Electerik View Post
                            A few years ago I decided to become an osteopath. All that stuff about moving bones and fascia, profound knowledge of anatomy and some deep, almost magical palpation skill, fascinated me. Learning all this mysterious stuff about the human creature!

..... The brain and the CNS.......

Cheers!

Hi Electrik, I love your white/green picture of the brain and CNS...
                            Marta

Comment

Working...
                            X