Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Here... aren't most people who post in this section? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun? This isn't fun.

Way to go Randy.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

If there is a need to confirm that Curious is in fact who she says she is, I can attest to knowing her and her real name. Welcome...Curious

Comment

Curious, I just asked the question to understand your clinical practice and ideas better, no need to feel personally in the hot seat, especially if you prefer not to defend your clinical practice ideas to others. It is not meant to waist my or your energy.

We do put our energy toward looking at ideas about therapy and questioning them here (the person and the ideas that person brings are separate), thus putting the ideas on the hot seat not the person. The idea is looked at to see if it can stand the rigors of scientific questioning to help determine value going forward. If you prefer not to be the person defending an idea, then no need to reply to any questions and enjoy reading what is here.

I would agree with you that sound clinical decision making that is grounded in science based medicine should always, not just many times, direct our path when giving care to others. Especially in such a vulnerable area as another's health. I guess I'm not sure why you would see that clinical decision making is not apart of evidence based practice concept? Again no need to answer the question if you prefer not too.
        Kory Zimney, PT, DPT

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Dixon View Post
          CO: To be honest, I am feeling a little like someone is looking to find something I am at fault at with the hope to jump in and give me a big kick or criticize, just for your own personal fun.

RD: Yes, that is exactly what is going on. That doesn't mean that the questions asked of you are personal or not relevant though. There is a lot to learn here, you just have to get past the unwelcoming atmosphere to get to it. The way you practice is regularly criticized here, this is what is driving the reception. I don't think it is fair to you, who is brand new and isn't familiar with the criticisms leveled, but that is the way it is. I suggest you let it be like water off a duck's back, hang around and look around and respond to what you want to and ignore the rest. I think you can enjoy your stay. I hope you do.
          Ahhh... thanks. I always love having to go through an unwelcoming atmosphere to find something beneficial. :clap2:

I expected more from a forum of such well-educated professionals.

Originally posted by joebrence9 View Post
          Not picking on you C. Again, this is about ideas---not you. I am going to lay this out there...and it has nothing to do with you as a person. Only the methods in which you practice.

Chiropractic was ...
          Reflexology is ...
          I am a Physical Therapist. My profession has many faults as well. And I criticize this. You can read more on my blog: www.forwardthinkingpt.com . I performed garbage interventions. I no longer do. Because I thought, asked questions and learned.

Joining this forum is the first step to becoming a better clinician. We discuss ideas, methods and look at things from a scientifically-plausable model of explanation. We often defer thinking to Occam's razor. I don't always agree with individuals on this site who are prominant users of the site. But I question their ideas. I don't criticize.

Again, welcome to this forum. I suspect if you stay, much of what you do will be questioned. But I also suspect you will become a much, much better-thinking clinician.
          Noooooo... you're not picking on me... it's cleverly disguised in the way you are kindly questioning why I chose alternative care as my healing profession.

There's certainly nothing wrong with that. Surely that's exactly how you approach other health care practitioners you meet on a daily basis. Why would you be interested in creating bridges? :/

I find it interesting that you immediately question the "methods in which I practice" because I am a DC and listed Reflexology as another portion of my practice. I am not a nut-job, I do not prey on people and I do help patients and clients to effectively heal.

Yes, there are DC's who are poor representations of the profession... but, that does not mean that all DC's are shysters.

I assumed you were just asking they physiology question to gain some insight. I did not realize it was to test me; I'll leave it to you to do your own research if you are really all that interested in studies regarding the physiological effects of reflexology. Or, maybe you could create your own research studies in that area.

To say that you "suspect that" I "will become a much, much better-thinking clinician", because I came to your forums, suggest you already think my clinical skills are without merit. What's that all about?

I had hoped this would be a place for critical thinking and interesting discussion. Not a place for mental masturbation.

And, to whoever was trying to give me "charity" - Were you giving me help... or mercy? Should I say thanks?

I'm not here to be tested. I am here to see what you have to offer, and what I may have to offer in return.

I'll do a little more reading, but I doubt I will dive much further into conversation... unless I find more affable members.
          Last edited by Curious One; 28-08-2012, 05:08 AM. Reason: typo...
          C.O. ( gender: ) - LMT, BS(Anatomy), DC
          Music Fog... pick a song to listen to... you can't go wrong.
          Need relaxation samples for your office? I have made a Deep Relaxation Massage Music Pandora Station and have others that may also be useful - about 8 massage music stations and about 49 other nifty options.

Comment

Originally posted by zimney3pt View Post
            We do put our energy toward looking at ideas about therapy and questioning them here (the person and the ideas that person brings are separate), thus putting the ideas on the hot seat not the person. The idea is looked at to see if it can stand the rigors of scientific questioning to help determine value going forward. If you prefer not to be the person defending an idea, then no need to reply to any questions and enjoy reading what is here.
            Thanks for your response. It's amazing how a post can come across when written on the "short".

The feel of this post is much more open ended than your first and I appreciate it.
            Last edited by Curious One; 28-08-2012, 05:06 AM.
            Need relaxation samples for your office? I have made a Deep Relaxation Massage Music Pandora Station and have others that may also be useful - about 8 massage music stations and about 49 other nifty options.

Comment

I had hoped this would be a place for critical thinking and interesting discussion. Not a place for mental masterbation.
              Not sure what you meant by this, but whatever it means, it's spelled wrong.
              Diane
              www.dermoneuromodulation.com
              SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
              HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
              Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
              Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
              @PainPhysiosCan
              WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
              @WCPTPTPN
              Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
              SomaSimple on Facebook
              @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I think I've heard this one before...

Curious. As someone who has had my share of horn-locking with my fellow members here (including many moderators), let me encourage you to take your time here. No need to rush in headlong.

I might also suggest spelling words like "masturbation" correctly here. It's like hanging a fat curve over the middle of the plate.

Welcome to SS.

Last edited by HeadStrongPT; 28-08-2012, 05:10 AM.
                Rod Henderson, PT, ScD, OCS
                It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. — Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Diane View Post
                  Not sure what you meant by this, but whatever it means, it's spelled wrong.
                  Typo... I do that on occasion. I'll be sure to re-read my posts from now on.

Comment

Welcome Curious. I am new here as well. My point of view as new comer: I am thankful for and welcome any criticism for any of my posts. It will only make me a better clinician, sharpen my critical thinking skills and force me to critically analyze my philosophy/approach of patient care. So while I may not like or agree with everything said to me (or anyone else on) on here, I am grateful to have access to conversation with a bunch of bright, like minded professionals. With that said, hang in there....it will make you better.
                    Anthony C. Distano, MS, DC, DACRB
                    Diplomate of the American Chiropractic Rehabilitation Board

Comment

Originally posted by TexasOrtho View Post
                      I think I've heard this one before...

Curious. As someone who has had my share of horn-locking with my fellow members here (including many moderators), let me encourage you to take your time here. No need to rush in headlong.

I might also suggest spelling words like "masturbation" correctly here. It's like hanging a fat curve over the middle of the plate.

Welcome to SS.

Thanks.

And, yes... it would help if I would re-check my posts before hitting the send button. I get a little antsy sometimes. Even just spelled sometimes as 'soemtimes'... it's a finger thing... Not the middle one.

But, joy!... everyone will think I can't spell now. What a wonderful way to be thought of...

And, thanks Anthony Distano. I appreciate your comments as well. That is exactly what I am hoping to find... bright and like-minded professionals.

Comment

You might be over-thinking this a bit Curious. I promise no one here will laugh themselves to sleep tonight about a misspelled word.

Hang in there. Go slowly. If you can last for a few months, you'll thank yourself later.
                        Last edited by HeadStrongPT; 28-08-2012, 05:31 AM. Reason: Grammar - see curious? It's ok.
                        Rod Henderson, PT, ScD, OCS
                        It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. — Jonathan Swift

Comment

Increasingly I misspell things. I don't feel that's the problem at all.

The problem is far more obvious than that.
                          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Curious,

If it's any insight, my first introduction post was about 'finding my aura'. I've found the forums both useful and robust.

My only comment/question from a physical perspective would be that the forums do debate how claims from 'reflexology, or manips, or chiro, or osteo, or insert name' here differ from any other application of physical force on to a body part (i.e. what are the physiological processes that are being activated and do they match the verbalised claims). The same forces on the same body part on the same person can produce the same result, despite the story locked away in the therapist's brain, but the story will determine further/other contextual features of the treatment because of the therapist's brain.

I've found the site a good place to discover the 'beCAUSE' although it will sometimes feel like you're having to go through 'deSPITE'.

Anyhoo, welcome
                            "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." ("Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.“) Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus Ludwig Wittgenstein
                            Question your tea spoons. Georges Perec

Comment

Noooooo... you're not picking on me... it's cleverly disguised in the way you are kindly questioning why I chose alternative care as my healing profession.
                              I'm not that clever...trust me.

I think reflexology- along with a lot of other complementary and alternative medical (CAM) treatments- are not only very poorly supported by science and evidence, but I also think they are harmful to patients and society in general because they detract from our professional obligation to move our understanding forward so that we can improve our care of patients.

I take that duty seriously, which includes asking questions of others who claim to be health care professionals.

As Kory said, it's your choice to answer or not.
                              John Ware, PT
                              Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
                              "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
                              “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
                              be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

what are the physiological processes that are being activated and do they match the verbalised claims
                                That's the key question I think. What guides our verbalized claims?

In another thread (can't recall where) Barrett asked:
                                1. What story should I tell the patient?
                                2. What do they want to hear?
                                3. What will they believe?
                                4. What can I tolerate saying
                                Although i'm confident that i can easily identify answers for 2 and 3 for most patients, i really take question 1 seriously. And this shapes my approach to answering question 4.

Curious (welcome btw). My impression is that you too can easily identify answers for 2 and 3. I wonder about your thoughts on how you go about answering question 1, and what limits you apply to yourself in answering question 4?

Cheers,

Pat

Comment

Working...
                                X