This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrett,

I'm reading your book, love it and I'm thinking this guy sounds like he is treating like I do and maybe is thinking/touching his patients similar to what I am doing So, why do I get the impression when I am talking to some of you that I am in left field of where you guys are at.....pondering big time....So here's a question I have thus far....do you believe that through the neuro connections that one can influence the dura through touch of the outer/periphery? You just don't buy into the cranial rhythm thing???? Just trying to understand what I've read to what I have seen posted here etc. I will keep reading...Now I finally understand what you guys are talking about with O..Razor thing. Do you know my mantra for therapy is simplify...whoda thunk..... I need some time off to read for awhile....

Karie

Comment

Karie,

I appreciate your reading and the kind words.

By hanging onto the dura you're hanging onto the mesoderm and "buying" a completely discredited and laughable theory. Cling if you must, but I wouldn't recommend it.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

do you believe that through the neuro connections that one can influence the dura through touch of the outer/periphery?
        What do you think Karie, ... really really think? Given that there's patient skin between your hands and the 'target', I mean..
        Diane
        www.dermoneuromodulation.com
        SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
        HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
        Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
        @PainPhysiosCan
        WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
        @WCPTPTPN
        Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Hi Barrett,

I'm not clinging really, just trying to integrate years of mesoderm thought process into what you are all helping me to understand. I'm taking what I feel under my hands and working backwards to my brain so to speak and putting in the new thought processes. In your book one of the essays talk about the dura and falx cerebri and I wasn't sure if you were saying you thought one might be influencing that but just by a different means than the guy who did the study thought he was. I reference CST technique because that's the paradigm that my hands are doing the ideomotor response with and now am trying to evolve that differently. It's not that I am stuck on it, it's just my base of reference that I am jumping off from....does that make sense....see your the writer and I am not LOL. So anyways when I am asking questions you really don't need to assume that I am holding on to the mesoderm...I'd like to move forward from that...so if I am not clear in how I word the question, just know that I am not clinging....babbling maybe....but not clinging
          Karie

Comment

Hi Diane,

Yep, that's what I am thinking is that by affecting the periphery, neuro wise that is, that that is how I am really affecting the dura...and I guess that is what I was asking Barrett, if that is what he was saying in the one essay. That then makes sense for me neuroanatomy wise and what I sense is going on.

How am I doing Diane? Do I sound like a recovering mesodermalist yet? Or am I still in need of alot of therapy LOL

Comment

Karie, the fever has definitely broken and the cough is clearing up.

Check out these articles Jason posted. Note that although the theoretical construct/mechanism (i.e., the idea) has been disproven (poor rabbits.. let's hope they didn't die in vain..), there has been no work done (by people who practice the procedures) on their efficacy. It's wide open to treat heads and study the outcomes. It's not necessary to "believe" that head bones are moving, in other words, to feel things that seem to move or to help heads relax and decrease pain, maybe even longterm.. the scalp is, what, half an inch thick or something? And loaded with sensitive cutaneous nerves and a great many vascular structures and lots of muscle tissue. There's even an entire trigeminospinal tract to credit with input ↔ output effects from sensory input on the head. Build a new theory. If you've got good hands and people melt in them, join in the effort to mop up some of less stellar things about PT, and let's save some of these soft and useful ways of working with patients by reframing them into constructs that make more sense.:secret: :angel:
              Last edited by Diane; 16-12-2006, 08:38 AM.
              Diane
              www.dermoneuromodulation.com
              SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
              HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
              Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
              Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
              @PainPhysiosCan
              WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
              @WCPTPTPN
              Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
              SomaSimple on Facebook
              @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Thanks Diane

Comment

Working...
                X