This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Shallow Dive Now Available

For the first time in several years Shallow Dive – Essays on the Craft of Manual Care is now available in its third edition.

These essays were compiled in the early 90s and were my first attempt at creative nonfiction for the therapy community. Many detail my initial thoughts regarding neurogenic pain, self-correction and the intricacies of clinical life. They proved very popular and remain so as can be seen here.

Reviews from respected therapists and from several different countries can be viewed here and order forms are available here.

I’ve only ordered a few printed and many have already been promised so please consider that when requesting a book. I don’t expect them to last very long.
    Last edited by bernard; 24-10-2006, 01:17 PM.
    Barrett L. Dorko

People were bidding over $500 to buy a copy of your book?
    You were such a hold-out!
    Glad you decided to reissue the book.
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane,

Yes. In fact, this site changes regularly and has revealed in the past books available for over $3700. I found this hard to believe myself though I was staring right at it.

What I do know for sure is that I never see any of this money.

I'm told the book makes a great Christmas gift.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Well, the more copies you print the more of that money YOU'LL keep. You won't be making such big bucks for some book auctioneer.
        Diane
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        @PainPhysiosCan
        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Here’s my version of a further promotion for the book:

In the mid-90s I wrote a regular column for a very poorly distributed publication called PT Today. These totaled 167 essays and, I think, some pretty good stuff, even though hardly anybody ever saw them.

I’ve chosen a few to reproduce and send along with the book for anybody indicating they ordered it from this announcement on SomaSimple.

Please just write that somewhere on the order form.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I wanted to add that I'm talking about 6 additional essays.
            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Hi Barrett,

Having been given the opportunity to read your last edition, I'm quite interested in the latest. Readers looking for NNT or confidence intervals will have to crack open a journal article for that information but those looking for something that's actually fun to read will certainly enjoy your book. I'm defining fun as being made to think and consider. Until one tries it, getting people to do that is harder to make happen than one may think.

I enjoyed most of the essays from your last edition but for some reason "Seduction" crosses the memory finish line first. I'm curious what essays stood out for others.
              "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

Barrett, please save me two copies. You cheque isn't quite in the mail yet, but will be tomorrow.
                Diane
                Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                @PainPhysiosCan
                @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                SomaSimple on Facebook
                @somasimple

Comment

Barrett

If there are still copies, I'd like to reserve one as well. I can send out the cheque by Monday.

Marc.

PS: Are some of the theories and applications of SC espoused in this book?

Comment

I've been reading through my new copy of "Shallow Dive" tonight. Barrett, these essays are absolutely terrific.

My favorite essay so far (I'm only through the 1st section) is "The Significance of Gravity." I like this one because I had never thought of the strength of the force we use to move within gravity lies in our chemical reactions. Makes perfect sense. I just never had thought about it that way.

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been any thoughts towards a "Shallow Dive for the Patient?"

Your essays are so succint yet complete, the format would be a great tool with patients as well. Maybe you use these same essays for your patients already?

Thanks so much!
                    Cory Blickenstaff, PT, OCS

Pain Science and Sensibility Podcast
                    Leaps and Bounds Blog
                    My youtube channel

Comment

Hi,
                      The first time I met Barrett (1981) I indicated to him that my experience with manual care was cursory and that I was concerned about where to start. His response was " You don't know how lucky you are". PT Today and "Shallow Dive" made his statement quite clear. Barrett's humanistic principles were exactly what I needed. I've never looked back. Thanks Barrett.
                      Gil

Comment

Thanks guys.

Cory,

I've been known to copy an essay or two for a patient if our conversation hits upon some issue I've written about. For some reason, writing for the general public is not something I see myself doing willfully, but I know it happens. The woman who cuts my hair said she loved the book a few years ago.

Then again, I'm a good tipper.

Gil,

I remember that meeting in '81. Even then I understood the power of inaccurate but seductive memes. After all, I'd been infected with them for years at that point. The writing resolved a great deal of that.
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Thanks Barrett,

I received my "special" one on Tuesday.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by bernard; 16-11-2006, 11:52 AM.
                          Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
                          We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
                          If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
                          bernard

Comment

Thanks, Barrett

I am enjoying the clarity and simple complexity of the essays.

Nari

Comment

Having put this edition together recently I was forced to reread the essays.

I think Nari's right when she speaks of the clarity I once wrote with. I'm looking for it again but at times seem overwhelmed with the amount of information I've gained access to the past few years.

I struggle to remember that writing is a discipline of subtraction.
                              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Working...
                              X