Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a little animation of the ionic gun.

[flash]http://www.somasimple.com/flash_anims/decay.swf[/flash]

Ionic Gun

Of course, the dimensions are very enlarged, emphasizing the phenomenon.
    The myelin segment is 150/200 longer than a node. :embarasse
    Last edited by bernard; 30-06-2006, 08:31 AM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
    We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Prof I TASAKI
      Conduction of the nerve impulse in myelinated fibers is saltatory with respect to space but not, in general, with respect to time.
      They simply discarded the problem!
      The problem was too complex in 1938 to be solved. They didn't searched another possible explanation to the phenomenon that was contradictory with the emerging theories.
      Attached Files
      We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
      bernard

Comment

The propagation is similar to an explosion (similar but not identical).
        An explosion creates a pressure wave that is propagated. This wave is a virtual explosion (you ear the sound only)
        Of course, in the AP, the major difference is that the phenomenon is much slower than the wave. It is the contrary that exists during an exploding.

[flash]http://www.somasimple.com/flash_anims/decay_03.swf[/flash]

@ Cory.
        If you put a tube looking at the explosion, you have more chance to ear it in good conditions. You direct the sound to you ear. Myelin directs the wave to the next node.

bernard

Comment

Nerves Transmit Sound, Not Electricity

Did I said that some time ago ? :angel:

I wrote a email to Thomas.
          Last edited by bernard; 10-05-2007, 07:28 AM.

bernard

Comment

Hey Bernard, as I recall you said it couldn't be electrical. Did you say it was sound though? I thought you were thinking about solitons at the time.
            So, anesthetic is like putting chemical ear plugs into a patient's nervous system.. hmnn. Interesting.
            Diane
            www.dermoneuromodulation.com
            SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
            HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
            Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
            @PainPhysiosCan
            WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
            @WCPTPTPN
            Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane,

Yes, I said it couldn't be electrical (but seen as). This thread shows the passive component of transmission that enhances its speed. I used a term of physical wave and sound is a physical wave. The active part seems ionic and quite solitonic.

bernard

Comment

Ah. I'm finally starting to get your drift on this Bernard - you're ahead of the pack.
                Diane
                Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                @PainPhysiosCan
                @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                SomaSimple on Facebook
                @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Here's a little news piece on general cellular systems "noise" that may be relevant.
                  Diane
                  Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                  @PainPhysiosCan
                  @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                  SomaSimple on Facebook
                  @somasimple

Comment

Diane,

It is a good find but unfortunately from the "opposite" side.
                    Ions when they move from one side of the membrane to the other may be heard as electrical noises. These noises reflect real physical moves and not electronic flux in circuits.

bernard

Comment

Here's a link to many full text articles on the subject. See publications.
                      "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

http://www.somasimple.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=19

But sound in the air is transmitted with an approximated speed of 330ms-1 and much more in water.

Nerve transmit "the wave" under 200 ms-1

It can't be sound. The wave is physical/mechanical but slower. It is a sustained wave (by ions channels).

bernard

Comment

There is a discussion about this subject on another (scientific) forum.
                          Action Of Nerves Is Based On Sound Pulses, Anesthetics Resea

ps: I'm a novice.

bernard

Comment

Very cool Bernard. It's an interesting conversation!
                            Diane
                            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                            @PainPhysiosCan
                            @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                            SomaSimple on Facebook
                            @somasimple

Comment

Working...
                            X