X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Party

Originally posted by bernard
    At the Party with the Physicists

One day, all of the world's famous physicists decided to get together for a party (ok, there were some non-physicists too who crashed the party). Fortunately, the doorman was a grad student, and able to observe some of the guests...

• Everyone gravitated toward Newton, but he just kept moving around at a constant velocity and showed no reaction.
    • Einstein thought it was a relatively good time.
    • Coulomb got a real charge out of the whole thing.
    • Cauchy, being the mathematician, still managed to integrate well with everyone.
    • Thompson enjoyed the plum pudding.
    • Pauli came late, but was mostly excluded from things, so he split.
    • Pascal was under too much pressure to enjoy himself.
    • Ohm spent most of the time resisting Ampere's opinions on current events.
    • Hamilton went to the buffet tables exactly once.
    • Volta thought the social had a lot of potential.
    • Hilbert was pretty spaced out for most of it.
    • Heisenberg may or may not have been there.
    • Feynman got from the door to the buffet table by taking every possible path
    • The Curies were there and just glowed the whole time.
    • van der Waals forced himeself to mingle.
    • Wien radiated a colourful personality.
    • Millikan dropped his Italian oil dressing.
    • de Broglie mostly just stood in the corner and waved.
    • Hollerith liked the hole idea.
    • Stefan and Boltzman got into some hot debates.
    • Everyone was attracted to Tesla's magnetic personality.
    • Compton was a little scatter-brained at times.
    • Bohr ate too much and got atomic ache.
    • Watt turned out to be a powerful speaker.
    • Hertz went back to the buffet table several times a minute.
    • Faraday had quite a capacity for food.
    • Oppenheimer got bombed.
    • The microwave started radiating in the background when Penzias and Wilson showed up.
    • After one bite Chandrasekhar reached his limit.
    • Gamow left the party early with a big bang while Hoyle stayed late in a steady state.
    • For Schrodinger this was more a wave function rather than a social function.
    • Skorucak wanted to put everybody on his web site.
    • Erdos was sad no epsilons were invited.
    • Born thought the probability of enjoying himself was pretty high.
    • Instead of coming through the front door Josephson tunnelled through.
    • Groucho refused to attend any party that would invite him in the first place.
    • Niccolò Tartaglia kept stammering throughout the evening.
    • Pauling wanted to bond with everyone.
    • Keynes was keen to question the marginal utility of this party.
    • Shakespeare could not decide whether to be or not to be at the party.
    • John Forbes Nash wanted to play a n-person zero sum game.
    • Pavlov brought his dog; which promptly chased after Schrodinger's cat.
    • Zeno of Elea came with two friends - Achilles and the tortoise.
    • Bill Gates came to install windows.
    • Bertrand Russell kept wondering if the cook only cooks for the guests, who cooks for the cook?
    • Witten bought a present all tied up with superstrings.
    • The food was beautifully laid out by Mendeleyev on the periodic table.
    • Riemann hypothesised about who would arrive next; to which Newton retorted, ' hypotheses non fingo.'
    • Chadwick was handing out neutrons free of charge.
    • Everyone was amazed at Bell's inequality.
    • Watson and Crick danced the Double Helix.
    • While Fermat sang, 'Save the Last Theorem for me.'
    • Maxwell's demon argued with Dawkin's friend, the selfish Gene.
    • Russell and Whitehead insisted on checking the bill for completeness and consistency. Godel said it was incomplete and it can never be proved otherwise.
    • Epimenides the Cretan announced that only non-Cretans spoke the truth.
    • Rontgen saw through everybody.
    • Descartes cogitated, 'I think I am drunk. Therefore I am at the party.'

Too funny!
    Diane
    Last edited by bernard; 07-03-2006, 12:55 PM. Reason: We have lost the first post!
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Bernard

I loved it...we could develop one for PTs, probably, with all their different emphases on what's important in the "working body"

Nari

Comment

Nari,
      That could be a hoot.
      Luke Rickards
      Osteopath

Comment

I'll give it some thought.....

Nari

Comment

Nari,
          here is a list for a start! Good Luck (but the list seems to me a bit old)

PTs
          Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
          We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
          If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
          bernard

Comment

Thanks Bernard!!

A useful start...and as you said, the list is old. I notice Michael Shacklock doesn't appear. McKenzie at the top is interesting...

It is more a historical list, but worthy of a bit of gentle satire.

Will see if I can get something together before I fly off to Canada next week.

Nari

Comment

Originally posted by Nari
              I notice Michael Shacklock doesn't appear.
              It is a pity! and David Butler is missing, too.:thumbs_do (but I noted that it was an orthopaedic list...
              We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
              bernard

Comment

Interestingly enough, David appears at the end as a sort of footnote.

Why orthopaedics??? What shortsightedness...

Neuronut

Comment

Nari,

you missed that one =>

The Seven Most Influential Persons in Orthopedic Physical Therapy Today
                  and I missed David in a hidden footnote. :cry:

bernard

Comment

That's OK - I don't think he would be too pleased being placed in an orthopaedic cupboard anyway!

I have started a physiotherapy list; a few I have problems with - don't know Kaltenborn or Sahrmann or Cyriax. So will have to check them out more. And does anyone know who Kendall is??? I know she is/was concerned with muscle function..

Should be fun. Maybe it could be taken up with the SC group in Nanaimo for an hour or so...

Nari

Comment

Nari,
                      here is some information =>

bernard

Comment

physiotherapy dinner party

Ok here goes for draft #1:

Butler did a splendid on-the-table performance of the DRG under c-fibre attack.

Cyriax tractioned the cook prior to neck manipulation to extract the chook recipe.

Elvey drew pictures of Breig's cadaveric nerve roots all over the tablecloths

Evjenth thought the drink waiters needed a little more ROM in their DIPs

Jull sang 'dura mater' instead of 'alma mater' at the close of the evening.

Kaltenborn mobilised the racks of lamb for finger food

Kendall found the whole thing a little testing

Maitland treated everybody thumbs down

McConnell taped the entire evening

McKenzie had a lovely time with the group once he centralised them

Moseley was found in the kitchen educating the chef's chronic burnt hand

Mulligan thought the snags could have been a little more balanced

Shacklock thought the neuromatrix was a little tough but blended with everything

Sharmann was disappointed not to find a muscle in the oysters.

Please add your own!!!

Nari

Comment

Nari,

Just Splendid! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

bernard

Comment

Just an afterthought - does everyone know what snags are? or is it Australian only?

(snags = sausages)

Comment

I had no time to search :embarasse

Have they a good taste?

bernard

Comment

Working...
                              X