Seth Grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Seth Grant

I've been following this molecular neuroscientist's work for a few years, managed to turn Ginger Campbell (BrainSciencePodcast) onto him right after I stumbled over his paper in July 2008 that had just been published in Nature Neuroscience. She went on to interview him. I transcribed her podcast for her - here is a link. (In the "blog posts and links" section you'll see yours truly's humble blogpost listed, my begogglement at first learning about him, his work.)

Lately Natasha Mitchell interviewed him on ABC's All in the Mind. I transcribed the 15 minutes or so of his interview (see attached).

I will write more about him, here in this thread, catch everyone up on why I think he's a genius, but it will be a bit later. Meanwhile, here is an excerpt from this interview, and a glimpse of his genius:

it has been said the number of synapses in the human brain is about a million billion, but something we’ve discovered about the molecular composition of the synapses, is that they have over 1000 different proteins within this, and we have done sort of a back-of-the-envelope calculation about the computational power of the human brain, based on what we know about the molecular circuits and these neuronal circuits, and we’ve come up with this very simple estimate: and it is that one human brain is more powerful than all computers on the internet put together, times one hundred.
    I don't know about you, but that gives me huge pause for thought.
    Attached Files
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Working...
X