Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alvin Lucier

A couple of pieces from Alvin Lucier

The first is Music for a solo performer. The second is I am sitting in a room.

[YT]3uuYNKVQNMU[/YT]

[YT]Jfssj80oNuM[/YT]
    "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Jon, may I ask what your attraction is to this performer? (Friend of yours?)
    It all sounds rather amusic to me.
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Well I sort of like experimental music (sort of because I often don't) and I just discovered this fellow tonight so I guess that doesn't count as a friend.

I suppose what made this interesting was that the first piece was done in 1965 which is pretty cool when you consider that brain computer interfaces are still in their infancy (relatively speaking).

The second video reminded me of Douglas Hofstadter's GEB and I Am a Strange Loop but preceded GEB by almost a decade.
      "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

Jon - technical question - how do you upload Youtube videos?
        Nick Matheson, PT
        Strengthen Your Health

Comment

Hi Nick,

I learned to this from Cory or Eric, I can't remember which.

When you're at the YouTube site and have the video of interest on your screen, copy the portion of the address that follows the "=" sign. Then come to SomaSimple to "post reply" and you will see a box that, with some imagination, looks like a television screen (just above the smilies on the right). Click on the TV symbol and you'll get this (only they'll be square brackets instead of whatever these brackets are called)

{YT} {/YT}

Paste that portion of the YouTube address between the bracketed YTs and you should be set.

Comment

Or else, just paste into your post the-portion-of-the-url-that-follows-the-"equals"-sign, highlight it, then click on the TV icon, and the whole thing will do itself.
            Diane
            www.dermoneuromodulation.com
            SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
            HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
            Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
            @PainPhysiosCan
            WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
            @WCPTPTPN
            Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

More on BCI

Comment

Even more on BCI

Comment

What could possibly be next?

Comment

I really like my last link, especially now that's it's 2011.

Still, advances are being made (link to 60 minutes vid)
                    Last edited by Jon Newman; 27-02-2011, 12:58 AM.

Comment

In the 60 Minutes video there are two distinct BCI devices demonstrated. One device uses electrodes placed on the scalp. The other has electrodes embedded in the brain.

I was thinking about the neuroscience that allows the devices to work and its relation with some of what we discuss here at SS on occasion.

The first device requires the person to imagine an effect and the brain produces a specific signature when the effect is realized. The device is tuned to recognize this signature. I'm not sure if there is calibration procedure prior to using it for typing or whether the signature is the same from person to person such that I could simply don one of the skull caps and get to typing sans fingers. After mastering the device, I wonder if the user gets the sensation that they telepathically caused the desired letter to light up on the screen?

The second device require the use of imagination also. The person had to imagine moving or squeezing their left or right hand to get the device to work. I wonder if someone born without a left arm would be able to operate the devices in the same manner?

I also wonder about how these devices are similar and dissimilar to our muscles.

Rodney Cotterill states that
                      "Muscular contraction is the nervous system's only externally directed product, and the signaling routes which pass through the various brain components must ultimately converge on the motor areas."

The second device certainly adheres to this idea. I'm less clear about the first one. It seems the electrodes in the skull cap are picking up on something other than motor cortex (but I don't know). Regardless, BCIs now provide an avenue where muscular contraction is no longer the nervous system's only externally directed product.*

*I'm conveniently ignoring pheromones.

Comment

Jon,

I really like this phrase:

Muscular contraction is the nervous system's only externally directed product.
                        Simple. Direct. True. Demonstrable.

Am I right? Is Cotterill?

What are the implications if so?
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I think the word "only" in that quote is overreaching but it's certainly, as you state "Simple. Direct. True. Demonstrable." Or, even more succinctly, concrete.

Some of the implications have been considered here.

Comment

Perhaps the word "evidently" should be used after the word "is."

I sense that opposition to this would be in the form of psychic and/or religious belief in the "power of prayer" or "sending healing energy" or "thinkng about you" and whatnot.

Is it too much to say what Cotterill says because of this?
                            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I think it is overreaching because of the pheromone example and now BCI technology. Supernatural enthusiasts would disagree but for other reasons, some of which you cited.

The concluding sentence of his abstract points to some vague implications:

If cognition is linked to overt or covert movement, intelligence becomes the ability to consolidate individual motor elements into more complex patterns, and creativity is the outcome of a race-to-threshold process which centers on the motor areas. Amongst the ramifications of these ideas are aspects of cortical oscillations, phantom limb sensations, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) the difficulty of self-tickling and mirror neurons.
                              Perhaps we could get the paper in the SoS and discuss it. I haven't read it for years. Among other things, it taught me to draw a distinction between cognition and consciousness.

Comment

Working...
                              X