X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Music] Bon Jovi, Hallelujah

Goose bump city.

[YT]RSJbYWPEaxw[/YT]

Lest anyone think this is anything but a secular song in which Leonard Cohen (the writer) tries to connect himself to himself, be sure to read the lyrics.
    Bon Jovi's version gives me way more goosebumps than Cohen's or laing's ever did. (Sorry, Cohen and laing fans...)
    It all has to do with the way Bon Jovi accesses one's brain's temporal summation while singing Cohen's deep recognition of that slow steady daily (non-victory) march from cradle to grave. Bon Jovi nails it. The absurdity, futility, tragedy, inevitability of all of it. The "cold and broken" pain/loneliness of meta-self-awareness. The human condition. Period.

My favourite verse (last one):
    I did my best, it wasn't much
    I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
    I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Diane, You might not watch enough TV, but without people like you (Carol Lynn commonly contributes the poetry), I don't know what I'd do.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

A very nice rendition, for sure (despite my biases against most things John Bongiovi). Thanks for sharing.

Hallelujah is a song that has been covered so many times by so many different artists - I wonder how varied the favorite versions of the members here might be. It might be an interesting opportunity to demonstrate how varied personal musical tastes truly are, with the obvious parallels to the NM and personal experience.

For instance, the instrumentation (especially the 'chorus') in this version makes the song resonate strongest with me in this form:

[YT]sfxScuK3Qy4[/YT]

Any others?

Respectfully,
      Keith
      Blog: Keith's Korner
      Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Originally posted by keithp View Post
        A very nice rendition, for sure (despite my biases against most things John Bongiovi). Thanks for sharing.

Hallelujah is a song that has been covered so many times by so many different artists - I wonder how varied the favorite versions of the members here might be. It might be an interesting opportunity to demonstrate how varied personal musical tastes truly are, with the obvious parallels to the NM and personal experience.

For instance, the instrumentation (especially the 'chorus') in this version makes the song resonate strongest with me in this form:

[YT]sfxScuK3Qy4[/YT]

Any others?

Respectfully,
        Keith
        Yeah, the chorus. Goose bumps.
        Some things stood out. In the lead up and first verse, everything seemed slowly sloppy except for that steady drum which sounded like someone was banging the outside of a rain barrel. (Banging very well however. Promising that something might emerge.. meanwhile, reflecting the daily grind of it all..)
        The singer was all over the place, completely untroubled by his anti-syncopation.

Then bam, total syncopation with pulsing lights in the first chorus, juxtaposition of contrast. Sure to please the brain after such a long time waiting for something (anything) to come into tune and rhythm.
        Diane
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        @PainPhysiosCan
        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Plus, the lights pulsed like a slow steady heart beat. In the first chorus at least. After that, they didn't.
          Diane
          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
          @PainPhysiosCan
          @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
          SomaSimple on Facebook
          @somasimple

Comment

I also like the simple version of Rufus Wainwright or John Cale.
            Just piano and one voice.

I have a serious liking for pared down songs like that.
            We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
            Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Originally posted by Bas Asselbergs View Post
              I also like the simple version of Rufus Wainwright or John Cale.
              Just piano and one voice.
              Nice. I like Cale's tone and delivery.

For ease of reference:

Wainwright

[YT]LQK4YfiPj1Q[/YT]

Cale

[YT]vEOZLQ3d1FI[/YT]

Respectfully,
              Keith
              Blog: Keith's Korner
              Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

I have seen all of these renditions of Hallelujah and my favourite has become the rendition with altered words as sung by Fr Ray Kelly in a huge church in County Clare, back in April.

Because the words are his own, suited to the bride and groom, I have watched it about 12 times and still shiver. So it is the music that gets me.

Before Kelly, it was K D Lang. Nobody else comes near getting it right in my books....

(I'd insert the video, but don't know how to; it comes up with the googling of Ray Kelly) It has been banned on Youtube.

Nari

Comment

This version http://youtu.be/hsu21olG8Jo
                  Although short, gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it, and it still does.

Regards
                  Mike

Comment

Not sure how to link the actual video as Diane did but this was always one of my favorite renditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzD_Qn_ZAfk

Comment

For reference KD Lang's (a Canadian ) version largely considered the best version ever performed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE&feature=kp

Not a Bon Jovi fan in general but clearly they captured the essence of this song. Also one of my favorite versions.
                      Last edited by proud; 27-05-2014, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Jeff Buckley's version is the best in my book...

Comment

proud, that Kurt Nilson was a very good one too! Thanks.
                          We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                          Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Hallelujah is one of only two popular songs, I know, which match chord progression to the lyrics so successfully (Well it goes like this, the 4th, the 5th etc ).....the other being Cole Porters 'Everytime We Say Goodbye' with its reference to the change from major to minor. Anyone know any others ?

Comment

The original Leonard Cohen version does it for me, especially after reading the biographies. I like to catch the recent live show recordings whenever possible, his voice is not what it was, but it's enough to look at him while he sings it and he always has fabulous backing singers who help carry what remains.
                              Jo Bowyer
                              Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
                              "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Working...
                              X