Redefining ‘Evidence’ in EBP: Why “In My Experience” Doesn’t Cut It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Redefining ‘Evidence’ in EBP: Why “In My Experience” Doesn’t Cut It

Very well stated blog post by PT student - Kenny Venere.

http://blog.theravid.com/patient-car...content=871121

I hope his faculty and CI reads this, looks like he has maybe learned more then those that are suppose to be teaching him.
    Kory Zimney, PT, DPT

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei

If you are not learning about pain, you are not treating it.
    Beautiful! Thanks. I'm sharing this with the MTs.

Comment

Alice,
      I can hear the retorts already... "I don't chase pain, pain is just a symptom of an underlying dysfunction"

Comment

Originally posted by zimney3pt View Post
        Very well stated blog post by PT student - Kenny Venere.

http://blog.theravid.com/patient-car...content=871121

I hope his faculty and CI reads this, looks like he has maybe learned more then those that are suppose to be teaching him.
        Thanks so much for sharing my blog post, Kory. It means a lot. I actually posted this on SS as well, you can view the discussion here

I think this thread is very timely and would serve useful to discuss the follow up I've had regarding my post. I'm very thankful that it has made its rounds through social media, as I've received many humbling comments from people I respect quite a bit (many of whom post here!).

The reaction from my university has been a bit disappointing, to say the least. I was asked to meet with a few faculty to discuss the professionalism surrounding the sharing of my essay. As I mentioned, I submitted this to my university as a reflection on my first clinical rotation and educational experiences thus far. The ideas in my post have been shared by me through various channels at my university more than a few times with essentially no dialogue coming from it. For one reason or another, I did not receive any feedback on my reflection for over a month until it was recently found by a faculty member who follows TheraVid’s blog. The response was less than encouraging. I was essentially chastised for my professionalism (or lack thereof) by sharing it through the medium I did. They were disappointed I chose to use my full name and the name of my university when sharing a “controversial” post. I was asked to consider the potential negative perceptions of myself or my university this post may foster (such as “This university provides a sub-standard education” or “Kenny must hate outpatient physical therapy”). I was told it may have been more appropriate to have sat on the essay until I was 5 years out of school and had more wisdom, which comes with experience. I am proud to have written this essay as a student. I am proud to attach my full name and the name of my university to it. I certainly do not feel the need to add another layer of anonymity with social media discussions. I'd hope that if my university was worried about negative perceptions they'd work to address the ideas I shared (and have shared with them many times in the past). Maybe I’m wrong. I guess this means I’m dead?
        Kenneth Venere PT, DPT
        @kvenere
        Physiological

Comment

Hang in there, Ken. You (and other likeminded students) will prove to be the solution to much of what ails this profession.

Respectfully,
          Keith
          Blog: Keith's Korner
          Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, Keith. They are much appreciated.

I'd like to echo Alice Sanvito's quote that was recently shared on the SomaSimple facebook page

This is the one safe place for me for discussion, the one place I know I can ask questions freely, not get called names, and not get subjected to someone's emotional meltdown because I said something that challenged their cherished beliefs. It's a shame we can't have better conversations with our colleagues in the outside world. I'm so glad I found this place.
            Couldn't have said it better myself, Alice.
            Kenneth Venere PT, DPT
            @kvenere
            Physiological

Comment

Originally posted by venerek View Post
              The reaction from my university has been a bit disappointing, to say the least. I was asked to meet with a few faculty to discuss the professionalism surrounding the sharing of my essay.
              Seems pretty well written to me. Are the deans of your school professional journalist and can say otherwise?

The response was less than encouraging. I was essentially chastised for my professionalism (or lack thereof) by sharing it through the medium I did.
              They called you in to discipline you?!?! Behind closed doors? And they want to talk about transparency and professional ethics?

(such as “This university provides a sub-standard education”).
              If the glove fits....

I was told it may have been more appropriate to have sat on the essay until I was 5 years out of school and had more wisdom, which comes with experience. I am proud to have written this essay as a student. I am proud to attach my full name and the name of my university to it. I certainly do not feel the need to add another layer of anonymity with social media discussions. I'd hope that if my university was worried about negative perceptions they'd work to address the ideas I shared (and have shared with them many times in the past). Maybe I’m wrong.
              I wish you'd taken in your Iphone and said "I'll be documenting this conversation in case I need to seek legal counsel in regards to any punitive action you seek to undertake. Let's begin...."

Of course, it's easy to wish for something like that at a remove...but Jesus I'm tired of
              slapped wrists behind closed doors and bully-boy tactics.

I guess this means I’m dead?
              I'd be more worried about being still-born; these folks could mess with your graduation? Don't you pay quite a lot of $$$ for a DPT in the US?
              Dan
              Tactile Raconteur

Comment

Hi Dan, thanks for your response. Thankfully there will not be any actual action taken as a result of me sharing the blog (nor should there be). It was more an opportunity for them to tell me that sharing criticisms of physical therapy practice and education in an open forum that may result in negative perceptions of my university is unwise or inappropriate.
                Kenneth Venere PT, DPT
                @kvenere
                Physiological

Comment

Yes; we apparently live in a time when telling the truth can be...nonstrategic. :thumbs_do

Do yourself a favour and keep a document trail...just in-case things go awry.
                  Dan
                  Tactile Raconteur

Comment

It would be pretty outrageous for an essay like this to prompt disciplinary action by anyone.

If the shoe fits...
                    Rod Henderson, PT, ScD, OCS
                    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. — Jonathan Swift

Comment

I am with Rod.

Last year, I got a call from a "higher-up" at a company I worked for, and was instructed that I be "careful" about the stuff I post on my site, because some people can take it the wrong way. I guess someone within our profession, had threatened the company with "legal" action, if I continued to defame things he does and his views.

My point, is that when you make yourself public ,you may have the greatest message in the world, but someone will always see it differently. And those in charge of large institutions are always trying to minimize their risk (of any consequences that may result).

You wrote a great essay. They may or may not recognize that; but again, their concern is risk.

Keep up the good work.
                      Joseph Brence, DPT, FAAOMPT, COMT, DAC
                      "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
                      Blog: www.forwardthinkingpt.com

Comment

Joe and Rod, thank you both for your replies.

I completely agree with what you have said, Joe. It sounds like your experience closely parallels mine (absent the legal action, of course). Your writing at Forward Thinking PT and SportEx is one of the first resources that really changed my thought process as a student, thank you for what you do.
                        Kenneth Venere PT, DPT
                        @kvenere
                        Physiological

Comment

Ken,

You are what we need more of.

Your essay is great, an appreciation of the literature and its implications toward clinical reasoning and practice should be applauded, not condemned.

I had recently left my place of employment because of these such issues and the unethical and potentially fraudulent actions I was asked to perform. Don't forget, getting through PT school still needs to happen. Be verbal but be aware.

Comment

a fantastic reflective essay

Ken,
                            many thanks for your impressive reflective essay. Mirrors many of my own thoughts I find difficult to articulate so thank-you!

So imagine how downbeat I feel to read the latest email from the Canadian Physiotherapy Association endorsing ("By exclusive engagement with CPA, Dr. Sahrmann is offering this program throughout Canada") a nation wide tour for a mechanical postural-structural-course (Movement Impairment Syndromes). I see this a backward step. I am interested in anyone's comments....here is the link

Comment

:sad::sad::sad::cry::thumbs_do
                              Diane
                              www.dermoneuromodulation.com
                              SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
                              HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
                              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                              Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
                              Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
                              @PainPhysiosCan
                              WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
                              @WCPTPTPN
                              Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
                              SomaSimple on Facebook
                              @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X