Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Adverse Neural Tension" Testing Techniques (ANT)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was indeed Bernard, our technically brilliant PT.

Michael, I can't get the CD to work. (I'm not technically brilliant.)
    I have an Imac, 9.1 OS. The screen comes up but stays black. It's a frustration. I'm keeping the CD though, for some day when I have a better computer. Your cadaver studies sound brilliant.

Yes, would love to visit when you come by Vancouver.
    Diane
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane, I didn't go to bed after all. The wine and jazz (on the stereo) that I'm partaking of are keeping me going. For technical support for the CD contact the Elsevier people. Their job is to help you. The details are at the back of the book. I too had trouble on my iMac during the development of the book but we sorted it out. DO contact Elsevier. I'm really keen that everyone sees the CD because it brings the nerves to life and it is really a "Seeing-is-believing" experience. Also, there are some instructions at the back of the book for those who are having technical problems. I hope this helps. Anyway:

technical.support@elsevier.com

or phone: Canada 1800 692 9010

Best

Comment

THANK you Michael. I'll get on that.
        Diane
        Diane
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        @PainPhysiosCan
        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane,

Just look the required specifications for the CD to work?
          If it stay black perhaps you have a too old plug-in or it is not macintosh compatible? :?
          Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
          We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
          If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
          bernard

Comment

My system MIGHT not be quite new enough for it. In the book, it says it will work on 9.1+ OS. I've got only 9.1. So, I will try again as per Michael's suggestions, and with a more careful look, but think I might have to upgrade or else get a new computer, soon... There's a lot this one can't do out there in the web, or even in its own innards.
            Diane
            Diane
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            @PainPhysiosCan
            @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

Comment

Diane, it should work on OS 9.1. It did on my iMac which uses this operating system. I also have OS X at work and it works on this. So if it doesn't, Elsevier Technical Support should be able to help you. You will need to make sure that cookies are activated, java script also (these are under the Preferences section (security), and you might need to clear the cache. Maybe you will need to upgrade your web browser, presumably it is Internet Explorer. If you upgrade the computer, I recommend the new iMac G5. It is a gem with OS X Tiger or any other up-to-date PC will do it I'm sure. Good luck.
              Michael

Comment

Hi Michael, thanks for the tech support. I use Netscape 7, not internet explorer. I found the cookies and enabled them, enabled the javascript, loaded up the quicktime player, I don't have a clue how to "clear a cache." When I clicked on start, an explorer window came up, and I found a 'go' icon.. It acted like it was loading but the screen was still black.

Next step, take the CD to the computer store and get them to show me what to do. I'll do that next weekend, this one's gone. Thanks again.
                Diane
                Diane
                Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                @PainPhysiosCan
                @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                SomaSimple on Facebook
                @somasimple

Comment

Diane,

Netscape and IE have huge differences while running.
                  Some pages are properly loaded on IE while they don't on Netscape or Firefox. Some products are only designed to work with IE!
                  IE may work as Michael said it?

Yes Michael, I did the job but it was simple. I must confess that programming is my "second" language but HTML or PHP are still foreign ones for me. (I was trained with OOP (object oriented programming)).

I'm thinking about enhancements with the board??
                  We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
                  bernard

Comment

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=6096790

Pain. 1984 Nov;20(3):231-45. Related Articles, Links

Ectopic sensory discharges and paresthesiae in patients with disorders of peripheral nerves, dorsal roots and dorsal columns.

Nordin M, Nystrom B, Wallin U, Hagbarth KE.

Ectopically generated and antidromically conducted nerve impulses were recorded in 5 patients with tungsten microelectrodes inserted into skin nerve fascicles. All patients had mainly positive sensory symptoms and reported paresthesiae which could be provoked by different maneuvers which suggested increased mechanosensitivity of the primary sensory neurons at different anatomic levels. Ectopic multiunit nerve activity correlating in intensity and time course to the positive sensory symptoms was recorded: when Tinel's sign was elicited in a patient with entrapment of the ulnar nerve at the elbow, when paresthesiae were provoked by elevation of the arm in a patient with symptoms consistent with a thoracic outlet syndrome, when paresthesiae were evoked by straining during chin-chest maneuver in a patient with an S1 syndrome due to a herniated lumbar disc, when a painful Lasegue's sign occurred during the straight-leg raising test in a patient with an S1 syndrome due to root fibrosis, and when Lhermitte's sign was elicited by neck flexion in a patient with multiple sclerosis. The sites for the ectopic impulse generation in these cases are suggested to be peripheral nerve, brachial plexus, dorsal root or dorsal root ganglion and dorsal columns. The paresthesiae were non-painful except in the patient with Lasegue's sign and the ectopic impulses were probably recorded from large myelinated afferent fibers.

Publication Types:

* Case Reports

PMID: 6096790 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

bernard

Comment

Hi All,
                      I posted this one a long time ago.
                      I think that it brings some "fuel" to this thread?

http://www.somasimple.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420

Last edited by bernard; 06-08-2005, 06:58 AM.

bernard

Comment

I was at a pain study weekend - physio/anaethetist / psych/ pain managment with 'chi kung exercises' the other week .
                        The anaethetist did a tour around pharmacology . Some of these inflammatory mediated pains need appropriately taken drugs .
                        Many people are aganist taking medication altogether . I encourge many people esp with oa type pain states to take their meds appropriately as I am sure this is a big issue in why people don't control their pain states properly ?
                        I like the ideas around neral mobilisation but admit that when I was taught it I probably did more harm than good ! Mobilising at end range in centralised pain states or with people with severe avoidance psych/social issues doesn't work too well!
                        Nerves need to put in the context of head/society (brain and environment ) Maybe social neurobiology is a good way to look at things .
                        Incidientally I find that tai chi 'warm up' sequences address most issues with ischeamic(lifestle induced) neurogenic type pain syndromes as they work spirally and unwind 'tight' nerve beds and trunks . The concept of a whole body response to movement sensation also fits with the sensitisation concept.

Comment

I have dedicated the last year removing the Theraband program off dozens of patients with pain states. Amazing how they improved when they stopped flogging away with the stuff.

Loading is certainly an aggravation, as is repetition.

My loaded question is: (no pun intended)

How many repetitions are too many?

My number is no more than 5, but that is a figure plucked out of empirical working with PPPs.

Can anyone give a ball park figure?

Nari

Comment

Hi Ian :

You are right , sometimes , i feel neural mobils did harm , however i belive anytype of therapy when applied appropariely ,it may work well.

what is that 'chi kung exercises' ?

regards

Emad

Comment

Originally posted by emad
                              Hi Ian :

You are right , sometimes , i feel neural mobils did harm , however i belive anytype of therapy when applied appropariely ,it may work well.

what is that 'chi kung exercises' ?

regards

Emad
                              hmmm
                              chi kung (氣功) is so popular in taiwan and china.
                              All chinese people like this and they believe it could cue disease and promote health.

Here is the web site

http://www.chikung.org.tw/english.htm
                              Lin JHIH CHANG, PT, MD, Taiwan

Comment

Thanks for placing the Nordin article up Bernard. This is one of the best studies on mechanosensitivity in patients with neurodynamic disorders.

Also, Ian. I agree that neurodynamic tests were not always the best thing for some of our patients, particularly the ones whose symptoms were easily provoked. But we should eventually be able to have a good idea of who will and won't respond and make judgements, ie. appropriate treatment selection, with improved specificity as time passes. I've developed a system of technique selection for peripheral neurodynamic which I hope helps.

Yours, Michael

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X