Visual "tools"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIS Visual "tools"

It may have been in earlier posts, this talk about vision, visual perception and illusiory aspects
    of our visual system.

There's a strong illusion at 05:20 which may be useful in explaining the role of context
    (analogy with pain perception in different contexts)

from 07:50 another strong illusion that illustrates how context (background and surrounding)
    can create a perception of "reality" that dramatically changes when the context changes.

[YT]mf5otGNbkuc[/YT]

If you like to use that illusion here's a .jpg location
    https://vialogue.files.wordpress.com...olor-scene.jpg
    Last edited by marcel; 23-12-2016, 12:38 AM.
    Marcel

"Evolution is a tinkerer not an engineer" F.Jacob
    "Without imperfection neither you nor I would exist" Stephen Hawking

Henry Markram gives us a glimpse of the "neurosignature" or "neurotag" (from 08:00 and at 10:00)

[YT]LS3wMC2BpxU[/YT]

Ramachandran and Beau Lotto discuss the nature of perception, the brain, our lived experience of the world, and how it relates to being human.

[YT]yxa85kUxBDQ[/YT]
    Last edited by marcel; 23-12-2016, 12:40 AM.
    Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

Having presented visual illusions to many in the past few years and watching therapists respond I have currently concluded that this isn't making a dent in the "seeing is believing" crowd or the "evidence-based" sorts. Don't get me wrong - many of the former groups are wonderful people and therapists, and I am personally fascinated by how easily fooled our perceptions might be.

To me, "belief" is the problem and being human is something no one can escape. Perhaps this is why it was popular in the past to figure out how to treat animals. The veterinarians put a stop to that, but I would guess that it will rise again.

Anyway, people go into therapy school to be "special." They don't like things like this pointed out.

I wonder if there's another way to reveal the "humanness" in therapy.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,

The intention is simple and (actually was mostly) ment for patients
        (most therapist here understand that visual systems are not that straightforward and depend on context)

Somewhere in (y)our explain pain talk with a patient, the role of context could/would be "discussed" and at that point that illusion
        may serve as a tool for the patients understanding, thus you may (or not) use it as an addition to language.

I "guess" there are patients who find it difficult to understand explain pain information
        this can be a "tool" to help a litlle by means of a visual "experience"
        Last edited by marcel; 23-12-2016, 12:50 PM.
        Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

I think that it's a wonderful tool. Magic tends to be my way.

I would disagree that therapists know about this. Not in Ohio anyway.

Maybe there's a way of presenting this sort of thing without antagonizing others.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Chess board illusion

From the category we see (saw) in explain pain courses

this gif "speaks for itself"

(you can copy/paste the link)
            link: https://media0.giphy.com/media/7Iqnl...Mg/200.gif#342
            Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

There's a moment when the brain changes. Perhaps this will demonstrate how powerful it is.

Perception is far more powerful than previously thought. Power is more important to me all the time, but many reject or ignore its presence.
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,

Isn't that fascinating how easy it is to not notice the power of "perceived reality"
                Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

It is. I didn't notice what I pointed out at first. I stuck with it though. Well, to some extent.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Visual "tools" this time quite literally

Long-lasting antinociceptive effects of green light in acute and chronic pain in rats.
                    Ibrahim et al, Pain. feb. 2017

Treatments for chronic pain are inadequate, and new options are needed. Nonpharmaceutical approaches are especially attractive with many potential advantages including safety. Light therapy has been suggested to be beneficial in certain medical conditions such as depression, but this approach remains to be explored for modulation of pain. We investigated the effects of light-emitting diodes (LEDs), in the visible spectrum, on acute sensory thresholds in naive rats as well as in experimental neuropathic pain. Rats receiving green LED light (wavelength 525 nm, 8 h/d) showed significantly increased paw withdrawal latency to a noxious thermal stimulus; this antinociceptive effect persisted for 4 days after termination of last exposure without development of tolerance. No apparent side effects were noted and motor performance was not impaired. Despite LED exposure, opaque contact lenses prevented antinociception. Rats fitted with green contact lenses exposed to room light exhibited antinociception arguing for a role of the visual system. Antinociception was not due to stress/anxiety but likely due to increased enkephalins expression in the spinal cord. Naloxone reversed the antinociception, suggesting involvement of central opioid circuits. Rostral ventromedial medulla inactivation prevented expression of light-induced antinociception suggesting engagement of descending inhibition. Green LED exposure also reversed thermal and mechanical hyperalgesia in rats with spinal nerve ligation. Pharmacological and proteomic profiling of dorsal root ganglion neurons from green LED-exposed rats identified changes in calcium channel activity, including a decrease in the N-type (CaV2.2) channel, a primary analgesic target. Thus, green LED therapy may represent a novel, nonpharmacological approach for managing pain.
                    full text https://www.researchgate.net/publica...c_pain_in_rats
                    Marcel

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X