A Good Start....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref A Good Start....

So, as a student I thought I would contribute with links, articles and essays that really helped me start here at SS and enhance my discussion with classmates and professors. It also helped me sort out some of the information I've been taught in class and not take it as the cure all approach to patient care. All of my elementary questions got me referred to these threads/sources. I figured I'd save you the question asking (and low intelligence feeling, at least that's how I felt), and maybe help out.

"The Chasm"

"Crossing the Chasm"

"The Problem with OMPT"....see attachments

Jason's Pain Handouts

The ABCDEFGHI of Persistent Pain....see attachments

Diane's DNM...see attachments

Melzack's Neuromatrix...see attachment

Forum Moderators' Consensus on Pain

Effects of manual therapy on connective tissue...see attachments

Myofascial release and evidence based practice....see attachments

Craniosacral therapy and evidence based practice...see attachments

Five Questions

A Big Mistake

Asking Why?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Johnny_Nada; 26-10-2009, 08:50 PM. Reason: Forgot one
    "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

So..

Let me know what ya'll think. A decent start for students with questions?
    "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

Thank you for organizing this Matt, and for learning how to link!
      Such good deeds will not go unnoticed.
      Diane
      www.dermoneuromodulation.com
      SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
      HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
      Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
      @PainPhysiosCan
      WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
      @WCPTPTPN
      Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Nor will they go unpunished (ha, ha).

Matt, you've done a wonderful thing here and if an old guy like me might offer some advice it is this: Do not attach undue significance to your fellow's tendency to avoid using or even attending to this information. Many are wonderfully motivated and well-meaning therapists though they might not possess your passion for change. This doesn't make them bad people or bad therapists - they're just human and trying to stay alive. It's a full time job.

You, on the other hand, are already dead.

Congratulations.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

mrupe82,

Thank you for this! I wish I was so organized...I need to work on that, and on figuring out how that techno stuff (links and stuff) works. Shoot, I'm just happy to have gained personal internet access again so I can look into this stuff more here (had quite a chunk of time away when I was in the middle of the northwoods w/o internet access waiting to find our own home near civilization).

I don't think what you've posted is just helpful for students, but for exactly what you said, to help get the conversation going (or keep it ongoing) in the spirit of enhancing knowledge. I guess I would consider myself a student even now though, even if I am not in formal school anymore....I didn't gratuate but last May anyway....and can't wait to read through what you have weeded out that I have not yet found/read.

And just a tip....that low intellegence feeling may stay...I've got a year and a lot of resources as well as some great mentors along the way....but I have not lost that "low intellegence" feeling yet....but, as I try to remind myself, learning has no place for feelings. And to help myself, and maybe help you out, I changed the word intellegence to knowlege and/or exposure, and I do allow myself the "feeling" of excitement and thanks to make up for keeping my feelings out of the learning....gotta let loose a little!

So, with feeling, thank you!
          Steph
          Stephanie A. Mikoliczak, DPT
          sigpic
          And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anaïs Nin

Comment

..about that "low intelligence" feeling?
            Ain't ever going away.

Had it for a few years now, after a boom period of "man, I know everything!" right after school in the 80's.....

I must admit, this feels more real.
            We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
            Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Bas,

Thanks for helping me lose all hope.....! Just kiddin'...you are so right about the feeling of being very lacking keeps me searching, and that is real. What you said just gopt me thinking about how it might feel to know everything and think myself so intelligent and knowledgable......scary. Maybe that's not the thing to hope to acheive 'eh?

Steph
              Stephanie A. Mikoliczak, DPT
              sigpic
              And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anaïs Nin

Comment

Do not attach undue significance to your fellow's tendency to avoid using or even attending to this information. Many are wonderfully motivated and well-meaning therapists though they might not possess your passion for change. This doesn't make them bad people or bad therapists - they're just human and trying to stay alive. It's a full time job.

You, on the other hand, are already dead.

Congratulations.
                Barrett, that's got to be the perfect welcome to somasimple.
                Cory Blickenstaff, PT, OCS

Pain Science and Sensibility Podcast
                Leaps and Bounds Blog
                My youtube channel

Comment

Cory, I concur - perfectly "warm" welcome. Well done Barrett.

Isn't it time we name a select group here "The Dead Therapists' Society"?
                  We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                  Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

I love it. Been feeling particularly dead lately.
                    Eric Matheson, PT

Comment

Matt. I have been challenging a year's worth of students to sign-on and post to this forum. So far only one has claimed to sign-on with no posts. I think this would be a great avenue for students to access the information here and feel less intimidated to do so.

I truly believe the universities are the most fertile grounds for this kind of information seeking. I'm glad you are doing this and will continue to invite students to follow your lead.
                      Rod Henderson, PT, ScD, OCS
                      It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. — Jonathan Swift

Comment

mrupe82,

Thanks so much for posting that. I am not a student, been a PT for awhile but looking for a better way......

Much appreciated,
                        Kirsten

Comment

Matt maybe we should hire you to make an index for this site. Wiki pages etc.
                          Diane
                          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                          @PainPhysiosCan
                          @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                          SomaSimple on Facebook
                          @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Definitely. Especially as our numbers of dead PTs is growing...

Nari

Comment

Maybe we should have a forum called "Marble Orchard" where we can put the index I'm trying to persuade Matt to create.
                              It could be the final resting place of all the writings of all the 'dead men' people around here..
                              Diane
                              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                              @PainPhysiosCan
                              @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                              SomaSimple on Facebook
                              @somasimple

Comment

Working...
                              X