This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? For students and new-comers?

So I just got done with a hectic two-week grind in PT school and have time to throw away. I had inquired previously about a student section for folks like me that show up and have no clue what ya'll are talking about. So I was thinking of ideas or ways to help students understand what is going on in here (though I am only .05% there myself!). It would be a cliff note of SS to get students (myself) a basic understanding of where everyone is coming from. I think this would be especially helpful seems how things address here are excluded from school (only have my own experience to speak, though I mentioned central sensitization in a discussion and my professor asked if they teach that in PT school...answer was no...thanks again)

Everyone can add to it. As a PT student these things have really sparked my interest and were comprehendable reads that left me wanting to know more. I still don't know how to link things (and really suck at finding things) here so I'll just type them in.

Please remember I'm just a student and newbie myself. These are all readings that left me wondering what/why the hell don't they teach this in school. I know this is only the tip of a huge iceberg here, but these readings have kept me here and spreading the word, so maybe it could have the same impact on more students alike.

These are NOT in any order by the way, again, just things that sparked my interest and had me asking my professors more questions and enhancing discussion within my classes.

Barrett's: The Chasm
    Jason S's: Crossing the Chasm
    Jason S's: The problem with OMPT (afterwards, articles backing this thread up? Red file if you will?)
    Jason's pain handouts
    The ABCDEFGHI of persisting pain
    Four questions/four origins of pain discussion
    Forum Moderators' consensus on pain
    Melzacks' Neuromatrix
    Dianes' DNM handout
    Barrett's: asking why?
    Barrett's: A big mistake

Just some thoughts in my head. I was trying to organize my own info that I've stolen and thought it could help some other people. I've tried helping some classmates here and thought this might be a good idea to make it easier? I know in my first couple weeks, everyone told me to go here and there. Why not just have a place to spend a couple weeks and keep annoying students like me occupied/busy for a while? Maybe come away with some information addicts?

Matt
    "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Matt,

Diane explains how to link.
    "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

I'm a bit confused as I thought Matt was referring to establishing a forum within SS for students, rather than hyperlink advice?
      Possibly not, but that's how I read it.

Nari

Comment

Jon,

Thanks....told ya, .05%
        "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

Hi Nari. You got it. Matt just mentioned in passing that he didn't know how to do links so I gave him a link on how to do links.
          "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

hi folks!

so i've gone over most of the resources in this sticky, and i'm having some trouble further navigating content on the forums.

noticing that the thread is from 2009, i figure there might be some updates in the last 7 years?

i found jason's updated pain handouts for example, they're an excellent resource. :clap1:

if anyone cares to update or elaborate on this thread for further guidance to newcomers it'd be much appreciated.

Comment

Here is the linked version

Hard to believe it's been 7 years ago I created this (as a frustrated, annoyed student...now a frustrated, annoyed clinician ((but still love what I do))...:teeth

Comment

One more thing flutter....

Do yourself a service and look up posts from Jon Newman. Read his stuff. You'll notice there is an award in his honor here. You'd be doing yourself a favor.

Comment

done and done johnny

thanks so much-- probably wouldn't have found the linked version. appreciate your compiling it all in one place.

i'll be sure to look in to jon's posts as well.

glad to hear frustration and annoyance hasn't dampened your passion

my excitement with the prospects of this model are currently overshadowing my frustration and annoyance i think. i'm sure there's a latency...

ignorance is bliss...? haha!

appreciate it! :thumbs_up

Comment

Originally posted by flutterby View Post
                    done and done johnny

thanks so much-- probably wouldn't have found the linked version. appreciate your compiling it all in one place.

i'll be sure to look in to jon's posts as well.

glad to hear frustration and annoyance hasn't dampened your passion

my excitement with the prospects of this model are currently overshadowing my frustration
                    free bingo and annoyance i think. i'm sure there's a latency...

ignorance is bliss...? haha!

appreciate it! :thumbs_up
                    Hi everyone! I've just joined this forum!

Comment

Working...
                    X