X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrett Dorko
    replied
    This is an excellent presentation.

Though Jason did an excellent job in speaking of this, I started him off by introducing the word "chasm" to what I had seen between what I (and neuroscience) saw and the way in which therapy was practiced. I think, I'm almost sure.

As Dr. Phil says: (I'm paraphrasing)

You can't solve a problem without first acknowledging its existence.
    He may have not been the first to say this, though he did so repeatedly on TV.

Navigating the chasm is what Jason speaks of brilliantly here.

Personally, I think it has grown wider and "going it alone" is something I avoid by coming here each day.
    Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 22-08-2016, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gally80
    replied
    Originally posted by Thinking_Chiro View Post
    I too found this very informative. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Thinking_Chiro
    replied
    Jason Silvernail at San Diego Pian Summit 2015

Great talk Jason! Thankyou!
    http://sandiegopainsummit.com/pain-science-videos/

Leave a comment:

• Diane
    replied
    I tried to look the paper up, but SciAm is down. If you have the full paper, you could start a thread in Sound of Silence and add it there, smith.

Leave a comment:

• smith
    replied
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...nt-of-mammals/

Evolutionary scientists give skin and hair a big shout out here. "They (meaning mammals) have expanded brain regions that processed tactile input from the skin and hair." Apparently dinosaurs did not have these qualities. No need for thes research, Jurassic Park would have given you that idea.

Leave a comment:

• gcribb
    replied
    On the cusp!

Also adding thanks as I realize the time and effort it takes to create a wealth of creative and scientific discussions regarding moving meso to ecto treatment rationalizations must be tiring. I am continuing to read insatiably from the many informative forums here. I take this one particularly to heart as I feel on the cusp of crossing the chasm.

Leave a comment:

• ste5e
    replied
    Just adding to the thanks-fest. Great stuff. Put my mind at rest the thought of not having to empty out the tool box and restock. Just turn the swords to plowshears! I too followed the core stability path and now have re-branded it a Trojan horse into graded exposure - edit out the mumbo jumbo about the protective gentle bracing add in the mindful awareness of the safety of the movement, here and now, a step on the journey to what will become a more trusted, stronger, flexible and painful (but non-threateningly so) back. In reality the strength is largely still there and the flexibility too. The patient had lost their experience of it to the protective threat of pain - the exercises just guide a safe path to the rediscovery of the misplaced power and movement that they still had within them.

Leave a comment:

• davidj
    replied
    This thread is outstanding ! Going through it a second time with a fine tooth comb. Thank-you Jason and all contributers.

Leave a comment:

• Fletch
    replied
    Hi Jason

Just need to say I love this thread:clap2:. I was hoping to get some answers on here and your examples are really helping me get a greater understanding:lightbulb

Fletch

Leave a comment:

• Jason Silvernail
    replied
    You're welcome Tony, glad you liked it.

Leave a comment:

• tonyf315
    replied
    Jason,
    Thanks for pointing me towards this...very helpful!

Tony Friese, PT

Leave a comment:

• Jon Newman
    replied
    Gilbert,

A movement that might be worth considering is prone (on a mat table) knee extension with the ankle in dorsiflexion. The patient would try to move in a manner that would decrease the pressure created at the knee/matt interface. Play with it a bit yourself to see if it is something that might be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• kongen
    replied
    Tim,

There's a thread about ART here, http://www.somasimple.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3173, which you might find useful.

Leave a comment:

• tim St. Onge, D.C., L.M.T.
    replied
    Thank you everyone. This was the most useful thread that I have read and it has helped to explain much to me.
    One question though. Does the idea of working "ectodermally" apply to the mobilization of nervous tissue as well as the stimulation of various nerve receptors?
    One more question. Could the success of Active Release Treatment be explained better by it's mobilizing effect on the neural structures? (as well, of course, as the skin stretch that is produced)

Leave a comment:

• Jason Silvernail
    replied
    Gilbert-
    You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X