This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Energy Medicine

There has been some mention in recent threads about energy medicine. I've also seen some interesting posts on the subject on other sites recently, so I'd like to explore the topic a bit here.

First off, what is meant by the term "energy medicine?" Do e-stim machines fit within this, or does it imply an internal energy? I'll supply some things that I've found on the subject, but I'm curious of what people's notions are first.

My own impression when I hear this term is of quantum physics in use to explain phenomenon in the body as seen in various forms of treatment/care. I must admit that I don't hold this term in a positive light, for the sake of full disclosure right off the bat.
    Cory Blickenstaff, PT, OCS

Pain Science and Sensibility Podcast
    Leaps and Bounds Blog
    My youtube channel

This overview is likely to be acceptable to most in terms of defining what it is meant by Energy Medicine.
    "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

Great link Jon.
      Luke Rickards
      Osteopath

Comment

I agree Cory.

I used to run in circles where people practiced and promoted "energy medicine.” Quantum physics was their explanation for why it worked (see The Field and the crazy movie what the bleep do we know). The people I knew who practiced it (reiki, therapeutic touch, qi gong) while typically well meaning were very misguided and most seemed to believe in this mythical battle between good/evil, eastern thought/western thought, science/spiritual, etc. I had the impression (though I could be wrong) that most practitioners of energy medicine were taught this foundational belief first and anything or anyone that contested that belief were enemies of "good" Just my impression.
        Last edited by christophb; 05-02-2008, 02:33 AM.
        Christopher Bryhan MPT

"You are more likely to learn something by finding surprises in your own behavior then by hearing surprising facts about people in general"
        Daniel Kahneman - Thinking Fast and Slow

Comment

I should mention that there were many, many books I was recommended by these people (and read) which have since been burned.
          Christopher Bryhan MPT

"You are more likely to learn something by finding surprises in your own behavior then by hearing surprising facts about people in general"

Comment

I’m no psychic, (perhaps this is because I have not paid someone with a special gift enough money to transfer some of that “energy” my way, but I digress) but I foresee this thread going the way of many similar discussions past.

As it happens, I listened to a very entertaining and enlightening podcast last night that dealt with “energy” transference as it has been claimed to occur in various forms of jewelry, especially the “Q Ray”devices. Find it here.

My favorite line was a restatement of a theoretical construct offered by someone who “believes” in some yet-to-be-discovered “energy.” After calling the so-called explanation “poppycock, techno-babble and blather” a scientist who understands methods of investigation asks, “Why don’t they just say, ‘Beneficent creatures from the 17th dimension use this bracelet (here you may substitute “facial restriction” or something similar but equally irrelevant/improbable) to locate people who need pain relief and whisk them off to their home world every night to provide help in ways unknown to our science.”

I heard this and thought it sounded familiar. Lets see if it fits here eventually.
            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Here's some thoughts from the folks at Science Based Medicine on the NCCAM
              "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

A short quote from Jon's link in post #7:
                They don’t want truly rigorous scientific studies to determine if these therapies work. They want studies that assume that these therapies work and then simply look at utilization and cost-effectiveness.
                Why am I reminded of a lot of ortho and chiro studies? But I digress. We are discussing "energy" treatments - ortho thinks it is way beyond any of this stuff as does so-called EB chiro, whereas ordinary chiro loves to promote it, and several PTs seem to wallow directly in it.
                Diane
                www.dermoneuromodulation.com
                SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
                HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
                Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
                Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
                @PainPhysiosCan
                WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
                @WCPTPTPN
                Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
                SomaSimple on Facebook
                @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Part 1
                  [YT]9tBADYRU4sE&feature=related[/YT]
                  Part 2
                  [YT]-Pr6wQOIhMU&feature=related[/YT]
                  Eric Matheson, PT

Comment

One perceptual fantasy piled on top of another perceptual fantasy next to a pile of perceptual fantasy.

What mystifies me is why some groups prefer to base their reasoning on what science might one day discover, rather than on what science already knows. Why do so many prefer the mystical?
                    Eric Matheson, PT

Comment

And why does everyone ignore the nervous system as if it didn't exist or have any bearing on anything?
                      Diane
                      www.dermoneuromodulation.com
                      SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
                      HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
                      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                      Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
                      Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
                      @PainPhysiosCan
                      WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
                      @WCPTPTPN
                      Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
                      SomaSimple on Facebook
                      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Why do so many prefer the mystical?
                        Because it only requires feeling, not understanding... plus secrets are seductive. In many of these energy medicine traditions there are no boundaries of reason, no barriers, just like you said... unlimited perceptual fantasy at your disposal.
                        Christopher Bryhan MPT

Comment

Judging by the sales of books at the 2nd-hand bookstore I work in, the top sellers are: (out of about 230,000 books)

Fantasy
                          SciFi
                          CAM health.

Science books hardly move at all; despite authors like Davies, Sagan, Gould and Gribbin.

Amen.

Nari

Comment

well , I do not know what to call these practices , might be cultural practice , mixture of belief . I think every thing could work with the person who believe in that thing ,might be placebo ...

cheers
                            Emad

Comment

A little anecdote to illustrate the pervasiveness of this hogwash:
                              The dean of Health Sciences at a college serves on the same board I am a member of. She pronounced to the board at some point, that she was a Reiki master and that maybe a CEU course could be given at the college. I suggested (being the chair, I have liberties...) that maybe the Health Sciences name should be respected and that Reiki is strictly NON-scientific. She got in a major huff, and made us suffer through a looong story of how she was terribly injured and had facial abrasions with nerve pain. She healed so fast, thanks to Reiki, that even the doctor was stunned. That was sufficient proof for her that it WORKS.

This is the dean of Health Sciences (PhD and all) - I repeat that, just in case you were doubting it. It surprised me.
                              We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                              Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X