Patient info/edu pamphlet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is highly desirable.
    Perhaps someone can put forward ideas on the traditional PT role as they see it in their country/workplace?

Nari

Comment

Well, first I think that many, if not most PT's, are going to feel slightly uneasy with the term and theme of corrective motion although most will go along with it since movement is what they are generally endorsing, secondly, under "HOW WE CAN HELP", it is written "Usually this doesn't mean lots of strengthening and stretching exercises". I think it is safe to say that most PT's think that is exactly what it means, and that is what corrective motion is.

Comment

Hi Randy,

I think that corrective movement as it is described has been left non-descript enough that it would be safe to say anything uneasy ascribed to it will be from projection. After all, its characteristics are all that are described.

I was thinking that the characteristics of correction might make some uneasy for the same reason. If you think about their opposites: cold, stiff, difficult movement, that must be planned carefully....sounds exactly like painful movement to me. I was trying to find a way to add that, but think the pamphlet is a bit wordy already. Perhaps when the other pamphlets in the series are made this one can be subtracted from or whatever. As Jon said, it is there for everyone to modify to meet their own style.

I see your point on the strength and stretch statement. Although I think the statement is true, maybe better wording (better in that it doesn't turn away those patients and therapists who have their expectation tuned in to such things and will therefore keep them reading on) would be: "Usually this involves quick and simple movements that can be reproduced at home." or something like that.
        Cory Blickenstaff, PT, OCS

Pain Science and Sensibility Podcast
        Leaps and Bounds Blog
        My youtube channel

Comment

The pamphlet on the PT's role will really benefit from the educational aspects of the first segments; the understanding that circulation, oxygenation and motion will help the nerves and thus the pain, makes the transition to any corrective motion much easier to grasp for the novice patient. They have just learned that A) they have a real problem, B) defensive patterns and stiffness and cold are aspects, and C) that all tissues crave easy motion. Much easier to introduce gentle stuff after this, than 10 reps of loaded squats or sustained hamstring stretches!

I have found this to be the case - all patients generally sigh in relief when I talk about what we [I]are[I], and what we are NOT going to do, and thus are more than willing - and already quite a bit more relaxed for the next steps.

The idea of gradual and gentle and natural and instinctive is not that hard a sell at all to most of my patients - I actually think that this part of their learning process is profoundly effective as attitude adjuster and stimulates more positive outlooks and mild relaxation, and thus affects the overworked adrenal system- painrelief through education. Makes the breathing awareness easier, allows trust in any hand placement, and so can impact positively on the outcome of the sessions....

I had to just ramble - I just finished writing 3 reports to the "pain" MDs here. In all 3, I was commenting on the profound effect pain education has on the patient's pain experiences - just dovetailed nicely with this thread.
          We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
          Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Bas, ramble on please. Your rambling is good. Cory, I like the way you described preparing the cognitive portion of the mind in post #93. Why don't you see if you can get that in there. Take some other bit out if you have to, or condense something else.. It's a crucial bit I think.

I've been thinking lately about how it's important to treat the nervous system physically, physiologically and ph-unctionally (my new word). But it would require something a bit longer than a pamphlet, I fear...
            Diane
            www.dermoneuromodulation.com
            SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
            HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
            Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
            @PainPhysiosCan
            WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
            @WCPTPTPN
            Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I have a problem with the three reasons people have pain section. 3 reasons only? I wonder if the definition of pain might be more useful here?
              As stated, point number one implies damaged tissue causes pain, which isn't always true. While there may be orthopaedic tissue damage, this occurrs in parallel with a pain experience. I think it's important to present the lay persons guide to patho-physiological reasoning here rather than pushing the patho-anatomical stuff any further.
              A bit about the brain's role in processing actual or potential threat may be good too.
              I'm going to get back to work on it, sometime, will post again later...
              Eric Matheson, PT

Comment

Bas,

I keep going back to your point:
                ...and what we are NOT going to do
                To me this is very important. There have been a lot of people who have rather grudgingly turned up in the clinic because the doc wanted them to, and come out with: " I've been to physio two or three times before, but all the exercises and pushing on bones didn't help" or words to that effect.
                The problem I'm having with ideas on both pamphlets is the need for brevity, and being succinctly brief is NOT easy! Still thinking....

Nari

Comment

Hi Ya'll,

For me, it is too bad that this thread wasn't started a few months ago for I was invited by my local library to present a talk or presentation of my choosing. After some deliberation I choose to to offer a talk entiltled MOVE TO UNDERSTAND PAIN. Most of what I presented was drawn from surfing SomaSimple, Explain Pain and Science and Suffering.

My talk contained most of what is written in this pamphlet. In my talk I presented the "Three Movement Stages of Pain Response." As in Explain Pain I talked about the "Virtual Body". I see no mention of the "Virtual Body" here in the pamphelet and so I wonder if others find speaking of this helpful or not?

Chance

Comment

Hi Chance,

I discuss the concept when it seems that the information will increase understanding.

The pamphlet is a stepping stone for people to use or modify as they desire. There will be no official stamp of approval on it from anyone. Feel free to give the folks at Soma some credit, at least for the information included in it at the latest iteration. Actually, give the researchers the credit for the information and the folks at Soma for the compilation.

Good for you on getting out there and doing some public education.
                    "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

Working...
                    X