Todd Hargrove's Playing with Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Todd Hargrove's Playing with Movement

Todd Hargrove's latest book, Playing with Movement, came up in a Tweet recently, and I couldn't wait to share my take on just how much I enjoyed reading it. I never expected that someone on my Twitter account (predominantly cross country, track & field coaches, and Strength & Conditioning folks) would bring it up. The "web" really is a good description, because it's amazing how, like a bug in a spider web, one small movement vibrates the entire web.

Affordances for Movement

https://www.bettermovement.org/blog/...s-for-movement

The ecological psychologist James Gibson coined the term “affordance” to describe features of the environment that create possibilities for useful actions. Classic examples are the handle on a tea cup, or the railing on a stairway. Each affords an easier way to perform a task. When we see a couch, we perceive a good place for sitting, and are therefore “invited” to sit down. When kids see trees with low branches, they see the opportunity for climbing. Escalators afford the chance to ascend stairs without effort. Hiking trails invite exploration of physical space, while iPads do the same for virtual space. Thus, the presence of affordances will continually shape your movement behavior.
    ​​​​​​​
    This is an excerpt from Tod Hargrove's article on his new book.
    Jo Bowyer
    Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

The Science of Smooth Movement

https://www.bettermovement.org/blog/...mooth-movement
      Jo Bowyer
      Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
      "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Working...
      X