Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How might AI change the treatment of chronic pain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How might AI change the treatment of chronic pain?

AI is the topic du jour. It will have huge implications for us, as it will all of society.
    Some tasks where I expect bots will excel:

- visual identifications such as countenance, posture, antalgic compensation, color changes, swelling, gait, ROM, etc
    - auditory identifications of tones of voice/emotion
    - recognition of words, symptom recognition, history building, question ranking/heirachies/decision trees.
    - sifting through hundreds of millions of research papers in an instant, number of citations, quality, type, recency, etc.
    - suggestions of treatments most likely to help.
    - real time data updates for successful outcomes as posted by users
    - algos self-correcting based upon enormous outcome databases
    ... and so on.

I can imagine Google or Amazon having a health checker algorithm that talks to and watches you over your webcam, measuring movements, recognizing natural speech at natural speed, collating in real time, and moving through extremely complex decision trees with ease. I can imagine such algos giving prescription exercises and administering CBT-style interventions, all with a smiling robotic face. I believe we are very close to this sort of thing being launched. Stand by.

The thing about AI is that it will be willing to learn, adapt and change in an instant. And it will make these changes continuously. So whereas many physios learn and change slowly (if at all), AI will find massive learning very, very easy. We will be leapfrogged so quickly it might be quite a shock. Aside from sheer computing power, AI will have a database billions of times bigger than we could ever imagine as individuals.

AI might even start off including every possible treatment in its algo. Imagine that for a moment. Supervised McKenzie extension exercises versus CBT for the same* condition. Can you imagine how it's just going to evolve perfectly to uncover what works and what doesn't? And once it's up to speed, research itself will just happen automatically. If 200000 Google subscribers recovered full ROM in 2 weeks with McKenzie, versus 10000 with CBT, well there's your answer. Or part of it.

*as determined by the algo.

Then comes the likes of Sophia, but that might be beyond our lifetime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_DPi0PmF0

Comment

Some of my guys would love it, they "source" many of their other goods and services that way. Some of my young autistic patients have told me that they would much rather be treated by a bot, maybe one day they will be.
      Last edited by Jo Bowyer; 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM.
      Jo Bowyer
      Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
      "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Bowyer View Post
        Some of my young autistic patients have told me that they would much rather be treated by a bot
        Yeh I guess like attracts like! I find Sophia frightening. Imagine her rubbing your back... she short circuits and puts her fist right through your body. Oops!

Comment

Worse still, imagine her doing your personal care.
          Jo Bowyer
          "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Worse still, imagine her doing your personal care.
            Well she's nice looking. Might not be so bad. Definitely need a limiter on the max torque output.

Comment

“Are we ready for robots that care for us?” Attitudes and opinions of older adults toward socially assistive robots

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4512026/

Robots at your service The future of personal care?

https://www.bsigroup.com/LocalFiles/...bots-UK-EN.pdf

Humans can be robotic with regards to care, from government level downwards.

Mid Staffordshire Trust inquiry: how the care scandal unfolded

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...-unfolded.html

Last edited by Jo Bowyer; 12-08-2017, 01:01 PM.
              Jo Bowyer

Comment

First half of this video shows an algo processing facial movements in real time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGRJsZ_ozcY

It's a safe bet that a facial expression-based lie detector is not far off. Humans with very high processing power can already do this (eg. Derren Brown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjI1GJT7BZo). But if a super or quantum computer was used to analyze the minutiae of body language, facial cues, body heat maps, tone of voice all at once, the accuracy is going to approach 100%.

The implications are extraordinary. What allows Derren Brown to do this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdYgEDSm7E The answer is: his mind works at a very fast pace and can process multiple data streams simultaneously. See where this is going? Worried yet? I think Elon Musk is spot on with his dire warnings about the future in regards to AI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ2T5FsUI6c At 3 min in: bots can now learn to walk in hours...from scratch. Hours versus 1 year for a human.
                Last edited by EG-Physio; 13-08-2017, 03:02 AM.

Comment

The implications are extraordinary. What allows Derren Brown to do this?
                  He put a lot of work in at an early age and spent years honing his craft, as a student he did magic for diners in a restaurant.

The answer is: his mind works at a very fast pace and can process multiple data streams simultaneously.
                  This comes with practice, in the same way as it does for athletes, musicians and surgeons.

Some manual therapists think that all they need to do is rack up a few courses and it will somehow happen. Machine learning is getting there, but it will take a while before it has the potential of CNS wetware.

Jo Bowyer

Comment

This comes with practice, in the same way as it does for athletes, musicians and surgeons.

Yeh but in the future, human skill development (for the purpose of employment) will be pointless.

Turns out robots can already perform delicate surgeries better than humans. http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/8/337/337ra64 The fact that it was supervised is irrelevant, because that aspect can and will disappear very easily.

From the abstract: "Despite dynamic scene changes and tissue movement during surgery, we demonstrate that the outcome of supervised autonomous procedures is superior to surgery performed by expert surgeons and RAS techniques in ex vivo porcine tissues and in living pigs".

We're in a strange sort of calm before the storm. In one month, nothing will be different. 1 year, nothing will be different. Then very suddenly, 10-20 years ahead it will hit the world so goddamn hard we'll be left reeling. If AI singularity occurs, well it's game over.

Ray Kurzweil: “As exponential growth continues to accelerate into the first half of the 21st century, it will appear to explode into infinity, at least from the limited and linear perspective of contemporary humans. The progress will ultimately become so fast that it will rupture our ability to follow it. It will literally get out of control.”

Comment

Turns out robots can already perform delicate surgeries better than humans.
                      It did a bit of suturing!!!!

Robots have been used for decades on production lines. My ancient car was partially built by them. I am interested in machine learning and have posted several times here on the subject. It is likely that they will take over aspects of diagnosis, but they will still need to be supervised and maintained.

I preferred automatic massage chairs to some of the massage therapists I saw when I was competing. They (the massage chairs) didn't have dog breath, talk about their holidays, or give spurious advice outwith their scope of practice.

To a large extent we have already been superceded. My patients often tell me that they tried Dr Google first.
                      Last edited by Jo Bowyer; 13-08-2017, 01:10 PM.
                      Jo Bowyer

Comment

Working...
                      X