This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xaniel,

My experiences with FM patients is mild aerobic exercise is beneficial but anything more intense than mild is counterproductive. I have also noted that many of my FM patients are smokers or were smokers at the time of diagnosis. Anyone else see this trend?

I have read that there are neuroanatomical and neurophysiological differences between men and women with respect to pain. Could this explain why there is a such a disproprationate # of women:men with chronic pain?

luca

Comment

What have you researched on your question so far Luca? It's an interesting one.
      Diane
      www.dermoneuromodulation.com
      SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
      HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
      Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
      @PainPhysiosCan
      WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
      @WCPTPTPN
      Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane,

We once had a seminar on chronic pain management. Primarily from a medical and psychological perspective (at least they made up the bulk of presenters). There was one psychologist/psychiatrist who briefly discussed this and provided a few references. I will try to find them for you.

This one I remember reading:

Women require a significantly greater amount of morphine to acheive the same analgesic effect as men. They postulated that the opiod mediated circuit in the brain is functionally and anatomically different between sexes. It was supported with animal studies that demonstrate differerences in the periaquaductal grey region and possibly increased opiod receptors in male brains (therefore needing less opiods for same effect).

Didn't read this one:

There was also another study on IBS that showed different areas of the female brain "light up" on PET scan compared to men in response to pain, and also in response to anticipated pain. These areas that showed increased activity in women were also associated with emotion. I thought that was interesting.

There are also a few studies comparing cutaneous thresholds to different stimuli. Women generally have lower thresholds for pain with respect to these stimuli.

I'll try to find these references for you.

Luca

Comment

Hi all,

I didn't realy thought about the sex-difference so far but when I now think about it: ALL my FM-patientes where women and there are definitely more women than man wich see with CRPS. Quite interesting...
          "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." Bruce Lee

Comment

match-mismatchmodel (MM-model) of pain

A short while ago I read about a thesis about chronical pain, I think it suits in this thread.

Improving non-optimal results in chronic pain treatment: a tripartite approach from Carola Mes http://doc.utwente.nl/57649/
            Mes proves that chronical pain patients who underestimate pain in the beginning, can develop fear for pain and movement, which will lead to abondance of activity and eventually to an increase of pain. She focused in her thesis on patients who didn’t improve in treatment. Mes found that results of a revalidation program did depend on the way a patient reacted on respons. One patient reacts better in an environment which is concerned, while another patient reacts better in an environment that distracts and focuses less on the painproblem itself.
            Mes also looked at the match-mismatchmodel (MM-model) of pain and found that chronical pain patients tend to underestimate their pain, the way a patient shows fear avoidance due to pain is a factor.
            Last edited by Line M; 28-04-2007, 11:10 PM.
            i keep wondering.......................

Comment

hi,

since i have under 20 posts i must answer to this thread.
              so here my thoughts:
              i noticed too fibromyalgia is more common with women.
              aerobic exercices is also for me a must, but not too much aggressive.
              more common with smokers? never really asked but from some cases i can remember, i would tend to say yes.
              there is a tendency to have weak psychologic attitudes (or is it a consequence since i dont know the patients prior the diagnostic?).
              xaniel is speaking of cprs... also agree it is more common with women. And vit C is a preventive agent after a trauma for cprs. is it applicable to fm? i dont know.
              ref: http://www.ciaomed.org/articles.cfm?articleID=1442

cya,
              pht3k
              physiotek.com ------ __@
              Eric aka pht3k ---- _`\<,_
              ----------------- (*)/ (*)

Comment

The present results indicate that patients with fibromyalgia are exposed to oxidative stress and this increased oxidative stress may play a role in the etiopathogenesis of the disease. Supplementation of antioxidant vitamins such as vitamins C and E to the therapy may be indicated.
                from: Total antioxidant capacity and the severity of the pain in patients with fibromyalgia. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum
                physiotek.com ------ __@
                Eric aka pht3k ---- _`\<,_
                ----------------- (*)/ (*)

Comment

Fibromyalgia

Met a few people in a clinical setting both with FM. But I digress, the statement that FM is in the mind maybe shines a torch on the type of person writing the report. By this I mean that the author is seperating the mind and the body. Reductionist!!!!

People may have tight muscles and resultant trigger points and pain. Tight muscles require electrical signals, chemical messengers and a conscious or sub-conscious signal. The cause could be for example through anxiety [startle reflex] or maybe adaptation due to trauma. What the patient/client require is gaining conscious control over the muscles by using the nervous system.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Chris
                  PS Excuse my grammar, am delerious in bed with a cold.
                  Chris Lowndes
                  http://thinkingmoving.me

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                  Working...
                  X