No announcement yet.

Movement papers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Between session reliability of heel-to-toe progression measurements in the stance phase of gait

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0200436

Abstract

The objective of the current study was to determine the test-retest reliability of heel-to-toe progression measures in the stance phase of gait using intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) analysis. It has been proposed that heel-to-toe progression could be used as a functional measure of ankle muscle contracture/weakness in clinical populations. This was the first study to investigate the test-retest reliability of this measure. Eighteen healthy subjects walked over the GAITRite® mat three times at a comfortable speed on two sessions (≥ 48 hours apart). The reliability of the heel-to-toe progression measures; heel-contact time, mid-stance time and propulsive time were assessed. Also assessed were basic temporal-spatial parameters; velocity, cadence, stride length, step length, stride width, single and double leg support time. Reliability was determined using the ICC(3,1) model and, fixed and proportional biases, and measures of variability were assessed. Basic gait temporal-spatial parameters were not different between sessions (p > 0.05) and had excellent reliability (ICC(3,1) range: 0.871–0.953) indicating that subjects walked similarly between sessions. Measurement of heel-to-toe progression variables were not different between sessions (p > 0.05) and had excellent reliability (ICC(3,1) range: 0.845–0.926). However, these were less precise and more variable than the measurement of standard temporal-spatial gait variables. As the current study was performed on healthy populations, it represents the ‘best case’ scenario. The increased variability and reduced precision of heel-to-toe progression measurements should be considered if being used in clinical populations.
    Jo Bowyer
    Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

• Effectiveness of robot therapy on body function and structure in people with limited upper limb function: A systematic review and meta-analysis

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0200330

Abstract

Robot-Assisted Therapy (RT) is an innovative approach to neurological rehabilitation that uses intensive, repetitive, interactive, and individualized practice. This systematic review aimed to investigate the effectiveness of RT on the body function and structure of people with upper limb impairments (PROSPERO registration: CRD42017054982). A search strategy conducted on seven databases identified randomized controlled studies. Methodological quality was assessed using the PEDro scale. When possible, the data were pooled, the strength of evidence was assessed using the GRADE system, and the effect sizes were assessed using Cohen coefficient. Subgroup analyses investigated the impact on the estimated effects of the following parameters: methodological quality; portion of the assessed upper limb; duration of stroke; and intervention dose and duration. Thirty-eight studies involving 1174 participants were included. Pooled estimates revealed small effects of RT on motor control and medium effects on strength compared with other intervention (OI) at a short-term follow-up. Standardized differences in means were as follows: 0.3 (95% CI 0.1 to 0.4) and 0.5 (95% CI 0.2 to 0.8). Effects at other time points and on other investigated outcomes related to body function and structure were not found (p>0.05). The strength of the current evidence was usually low quality. Subgroup analyses suggested that the methodological quality, and duration and dose of RT may influence the estimated effects. In conclusion, RT has small effects on motor control and medium effects on strength in people with limited upper limb function. Poor methodological quality, and lower treatment dose and duration may impact negatively the estimated effects.
      Jo Bowyer
      "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

• Agreement among physiotherapists in assessing patient performance of exercises for low-back pain

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biome...891-018-2173-9

There is no standardised way to assess patient performance during exercises. In practice, the assessment is left to the physiotherapists’ personal judgement. This judgement may result from an unconscious integration of various data such as their own beliefs and experience, patient characteristics (age, comorbidities), exercise characteristics, and the relationship with the patient [5]. Better assessment of patient performance could help to improve the teaching of exercises and determine how many physiotherapy sessions are required for one patient, to propose a more personalized treatment. Indeed, if the number of supervised sessions is not sufficient, the treatment can be ineffective and patients can stop home exercises because they do not feel able to practice alone. In contrast, if the number of supervised sessions is greater than needed, the exercises will be a waste of time both for the physiotherapist and the patient.
        Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Reproducibility of isokinetic strength assessment of knee muscle actions in adult athletes: Torques and antagonist-agonist ratios derived at the same angle position

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0202261

The terms muscle strength and muscle power are erroneously used as synonymous in many professional contexts. In the present study, the term ‘muscular strength’ refers to maximal muscular force in a single voluntary contraction [1]. In the meantime, torque corresponds to the ability of a force to cause rotation on a lever. The relationship between the torque exerted by a muscle group and the range of motion of the joint is determined by mechanical characteristics of the anatomical lever system. In many muscle actions, such as knee extension and knee flexion, the mechanical disadvantage of the muscles occurs at the extremes of the range of motion. Isokinetic refers to dynamic muscular contraction characterized by a constant angular velocity of the movement [2, 3]. The angular velocity is kept constant by the dynamometer that adjusts the resistance applied to the muscles through the range of motion (i.e. the load applied to the muscle is increased at the point of highest mechanical advantage of the muscle and, correspondingly, the load is decreased at the extremes of the range of motion).

Several parameters are cited in the literature as a measure of isokinetic strength. Peak torque (PT) is consistently favored as the most prominent information retained for analysis [4, 5] and the angle of its occurrence is often reported [68]. Meanwhile, mean torque corresponds to mean values of the moment of force during a particular range of motion. Additionally, and regarding the knee joint, the strength ratios tend to be calculated by dividing the maximal knee flexors (KF) moment by the maximal knee extensors (KE) moment measured at identical angular velocity and concentric (cc) or eccentric (ecc) contraction actions. In other words, the following ratio is usually termed as conventional ratio: KFcc/KEcc [9]. Two other ratios were also suggested to examine the antagonist-agonist strength relationship for knee extension and knee flexion actions. They were termed as functional extension ratio and functional flexion ratio, respectively KFecc/KEcc and KFcc/KEecc [9]. Active quadriceps muscle contraction may create significant anterior tibial translation or shear and it may also produce substantial internal rotation of the tibia relative to the femur [10, 11]. The amount of co-activation of the hamstring muscles was suggested [12] to be crucial for ligamentous constraints, particularly the anterior cruciate ligament.

The conventional and functional ratios are being derived from the respective PTs that occurred at different angles for KE and KF. However, the antagonist-agonist strength relationship should be interpreted at the specific angle, particularly, at the angle of the agonist PT. Because of these data quality properties are of utmost importance in the evaluation of athletes, the purpose of the current study was to examine the reliability of the conventional and functional ratios derived from PTs and those obtained from the combination of KF torque at the angle of KE PT (the denominator in all composite variables).
          Jo Bowyer

Comment

• That’s​ not how it works…

https://thesports.physio/2018/08/19/...-how-it-works/

When assessing movement we need to recognise that not all of us are built the same and therefore we will not all move the same.
            What we often think are movement 'abnormalities' or 'dysfunctions' may actually be optimisation strategies in the presence of pain, fear, or a lack of tolerance and capacity. Personally, I think this is the bigger issue, and this is what we should be focusing on more.

Often it's not the movement itself that need to be corrected, its the lack of tolerance to the movement that does.

This is why I often load so-called 'dysfunctional'movements. I have come to realise that if I focus more on increasing an individuals tolerance to a painful, ugly looking, so-called 'dysfunctional' movement often the individual self-organises and what was a painful, ugly, 'dysfunctional' movement soon isn't anymore.

However, I have found that the 'ugliness' of the movement sometimes does not improve, but I don't really care.
            Last edited by Jo Bowyer; 19-08-2018, 07:36 PM.
            Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Why a Quad Index Matters

https://thesciencept.com/why-a-quad-index-matters/
              Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Movement Control: How the Brain Responds to Unexpected Situations

https://neurosciencenews.com/movemen...tuations-9733/

The authors found that motor cortex is only necessary for movement control when movements are executed in response to unexpected sensory feedback.
                Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Painting a Nuanced Picture of Brain System Regulation Moods and Movements

https://neurosciencenews.com/serotonin-systems-9745/

Abstract

Anatomically Defined and Functionally Distinct Dorsal Raphe Serotonin Sub-systems

The dorsal raphe (DR) constitutes a major serotonergic input to the forebrain and modulates diverse functions and brain states, including mood, anxiety, and sensory and motor functions. Most functional studies to date have treated DR serotonin neurons as a single population. Using viral-genetic methods, we found that subcortical- and cortical-projecting serotonin neurons have distinct cell-body distributions within the DR and differentially co-express a vesicular glutamate transporter. Further, amygdala- and frontal-cortex-projecting DR serotonin neurons have largely complementary whole-brain collateralization patterns, receive biased inputs from presynaptic partners, and exhibit opposite responses to aversive stimuli. Gain- and loss-of-function experiments suggest that amygdala-projecting DR serotonin neurons promote anxiety-like behavior, whereas frontal-cortex-projecting neurons promote active coping in the face of challenge. These results provide compelling evidence that the DR serotonin system contains parallel sub-systems that differ in input and output connectivity, physiological response properties, and behavioral functions.
                  Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Subgroups of lumbo-pelvic flexion kinematics are present in people with and without persistent low back pain

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biome...891-018-2233-1
                    Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Exposure to trips and slips with increasing unpredictability while walking can improve balance recovery responses with minimum predictive gait alterations

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0202913
                      Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Adaptation after vastus lateralis denervation in rats demonstrates neural regulation of joint stresses and strains

https://elifesciences.org/articles/3...18-elife-alert

Although most of us will never achieve the grace and dexterity of professional ballerina Misty Copeland, we each make sophisticated, complex movements every day. Even simple movements often involve coordinating many muscles throughout the body. Moreover, because we have so many muscles, there are often multiple ways that we could use them to make the same movement. So which ones do we use, and why?

Many studies into muscle control focus on how the muscles activate to perform a task like kicking a soccer ball. But muscles do more than just move the limbs; they also act on joints. Contracting a muscle exerts strain on bones and the ligaments that hold joints together. If these strains become excessive, they may cause pain and injury, and over a longer time may lead to arthritis. It would therefore make sense if the nervous system factored in the need to protect joints when turning on muscles.
                        Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Adult spinal motoneurons change their neurotransmitter phenotype to control locomotion

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/09/28/1809050115
                          Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Adductor magnus

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=bOj...Yw7x66Wj72secg
                            Jo Bowyer

Comment

• An easy and safe training method for trunk function improves mobility in total knee arthroplasty patients: A quasi-randomized controlled trial

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0204884
                              Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Non-pharmacological interventions for the improvement of post-stroke activities of daily living and disability amongst older stroke survivors: A systematic review

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0204774
                                Jo Bowyer

Comment

Working...
                                X