X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher fitness level can determine longer lifespan after age 70

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0306081829.htm
    Jo Bowyer
    Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

• What does quality of life mean to older adults? A thematic synthesis

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0213263

The need for care services for older adults living at home will increase in the coming years because of the ageing population and deinstitutionalisation [13]. More and more older adults will age in their own home and the majority of them has one or more chronic disorders [4, 5]. For many of these disorders, cure is not an option. However, care is required to manage these disorders and to provide assistance with daily tasks in order to enable older adults to age at home. Care and support are provided by informal carers as well as various formal care services like rehabilitation, nursing care at home, day care, mental health and general practice care [6, 7].

At the same time, care providers are confronted with care reforms, budget cuts and increasing regulations for national and local commissioning and audit procedures [8]. As a result, the accountability of care services becomes increasingly important and there is a need to establish the value of such services. One way to determine this value is by assessing the outcomes achieved at the client level [9]. Maintenance of QoL is one the most important outcomes of care services for older adults. Several international action plans on ageing endorse the importance of QoL [1013] and international interest in the measurement of QoL of older adults is growing [1417].

The perception of health is also determined by the point of reference used; older adults compare their health for instance often with that of others their age. The experience of health was therefore described as a relative phenomenon [36]: it is experienced and evaluated according to what one finds reasonable to expect, given one’s age, history, medical condition, and social situation. For example, some older adults find declining ability frustrating "I cannot do what I did ten years ago, and I get very angryI get disgusted with myself" ([42], p.934), while others were more accepting, saying that other people are worse off, or that pain, fatigue and illness were to be expected in old age. This explains why older adults may still perceive their health as ‘good’ despite chronic diseases, illnesses and frailty [59, 60, 67]. Some older adults are committed to improve their QoL by trying to influence their health with a positive attitude and an active lifestyle.

Health was described as important because it is the basis for many other QoL aspects: “What mostly controls it is your personal health. That determines what you can do.” ([72], p.55). Good health appeared to facilitate the ability to carry out meaningful activities, to take care of yourself, to perform household tasks, to get out, communicate and participate. Murphy et al. [70] noticed that especially as participant’s physical functioning declined older adults started to redefine health in terms of abilities rather than absence of illness, e.g. “Health is to a great extent being able to look after yourself” ([49], p.292). Only when older adults were severely restricted in their ‘going and doing’ [42], they experienced poor health. Such experiences were connected with negative emotions of sadness, anxiety and sorrow [53].

Autonomy: Being able to manage on your own, retaining dignity and not feeling like a burden.
      Jo Bowyer
      "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

• Is there an accurate relationship between simple self-reported functional limitations and the assessment of physical capacity in early old age?

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0211853
        Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Different strength declines in leg primary movers versus stabilizers across age—Implications for the risk of falls in older adults?

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0213361
          Jo Bowyer

Comment

• Pneumonia-associated death in patients with dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0213825

The aims of the present study were to elucidate the frequency of pneumonia-associated death in older adults with dementia and how the frequency of pneumonia-associated death differ according to the data on cause of death (autopsy or death certificate). The results can contribute to the clinical management of patients with dementia in preventing pneumonia, to maximize life expectancy in these patients.
            I have an issue with this. Pneumonia used to be known as "the old man's friend", as it was coexistent with increasing frailty. I was often asked to treat these patients in order to get air entry into the affected lobe(s). I would strongly advise elders to write end of life directives in order to avoid aggressive life preserving measures, which may be wanted by relatives, but not by the individual concerned. On several occasions I was punched and/or bitten. I don't blame the patients, I would probably do the same to someone who was preventing me from dying at my own pace.
            Jo Bowyer

Comment

• 'Inflamm-aging' causes loss of bone healing ability in the elderly

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0318151746.htm

The current study explains how this age-driven increase in immune signals diminishes the ability of stem cells -- essential ingredients in bone repair -- to multiply. This results in a smaller number of stem cells in the aged skeleton, say the study authors, and compromises their ability to help make new bone after a fracture. The research team also restored skeletal stem cell number and function by treating aging mice with an anti-inflammatory component of aspirin.
              Jo Bowyer

Comment

Working...
              X