No announcement yet.

Pot-Pourri

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our main purpose it to get people in pain moving. So why are we wasting so much time learning to rub, stab, electucte, crack etc.
    Rob Willcott Physiotherapist

Comment

Okay, I know this would be defined as insane by many but;

What if the public and healthcare had a non-Cartesian, biopsychosocial understanding of pain?

and

healthcare only provided medication or invasive procedures supported by research?
      I think we might begin to see a shift of the current pain epidemic in a positive direction for once. However, many would lose business, money and jobs and the economy may suffer initially which would be reistsed by some in power. I guess it would all depend on how this battle played out from a political stand point.
      Rob Willcott Physiotherapist

Comment

What if the public had a non-Cartesian, biopsychosocial understanding of self? What would happen if this was taught from an early age, in health class for instance? Rubber hands, visual and auditory illusions...get their attention early, and often. Would the public still demand medications and invasive procedures if they better understood how their experiences were manifest?
        Keith, that is my dream.
        Not my bookkeeper's.

I have trouble continuing to benefit financially from those who do not NEED to suffer.
        We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
        Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

I've thought about this for a day or two….

What if a colleague, student or other healthcare professional asked me what I do for someone with a persistent pain problem?

If I was looking to pad my wallet, had a blog to promote my superiority or created some continuing education certification, I would probably use some non-sensical, long winded explanation. I'm not much for words.

If I'm honest with myself, I can break it down to one word: Cope

http://www.instituteforchronicpain.o...onal-system-2/
          I may not be as smart as most people, but I'm sure as hell not as dumb....
          "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

Lately I've asked my maladaptive LBP pts if they have migraines. If they say no, we talk about triggers for my friend's migraines. When I ask if the holidays, coffee, a meeting at work, trigger a migraine for them and they say no, we talk about individualized nervous systems and managing their condition.

It has helped me reach a few.

Comment

Originally posted by mrupe82 View Post
              I've thought about this for a day or two….

What if a colleague, student or other healthcare professional asked me what I do for someone with a persistent pain problem?
              help them improve their health and functionality is the best I can come up with
              -Evan. The postings on this site are my own and do not represent the views or policies of my employer or APTA.
              The reason why an intellectual community is necessary is that it offers the only hope of grasping the whole. -Robert Maynard Hutchins.

Comment

Originally posted by mrupe82 View Post
                Okay, I know this would be defined as insane by many but;

What if the public and healthcare had a non-Cartesian, biopsychosocial understanding of pain?

and

healthcare only provided medication or invasive procedures supported by research?
                I think that people will always seek help with coping, that's normal. If that help wasn't available through healthcare it would have been somewhere else.
                -Evan. The postings on this site are my own and do not represent the views or policies of my employer or APTA.
                The reason why an intellectual community is necessary is that it offers the only hope of grasping the whole. -Robert Maynard Hutchins.

Comment

https://healthskills.wordpress.com/2...omething-else/

"That’s important given how few people can have their pain completely reduced"

The idea of acceptance is something I think about daily. Many (most) of those I see with persistent pain seem to deny acceptance of their pain.

Trip after trip to physicians, pain medicine, trials of pseudoscience from television, chiros, PTs, procedure after procedure.

I wonder how things would change if people accepted their pain as something that cannot be fixed, owned it and moved on as Bronnie talks about.
                  "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

In another forum (strength athletes, not rehab professionals) acupuncture and treatments came up for low back pain and a guy posted

Dont take tylonol or advil ever. Its for babies, a placebo. Heck dont even tell people you are uncomfortable, or talk about what some might call pain, let people have good days instead of hearing the truth. If you say I'd doing good, everyone will be allowed to be happy instead having to hear someone talk about being down and affecting everyone else mood.

No matter what, at all costs, when someone asks me how I'm doing I say good. I don't say good with any hints that I really am not doing good either, that is phony crap. Be a man or woman, say good, smile, have faith, hang in there, try your hardest to work on your problems, give this slight inconvenience the most effort and thought you can, and it will work.

Dont be some idiot who takes placebo medicines. People who actually travel to a pharmacy to buy some placebo called advil or tylonol are whiny. It doesn't go away because you keep acknowledging it, whining about it, and keeping it on your mind.
                    Is it bad that I'm a PT and I like what this guy is saying?

Comment

...and I'm a PT and I don't like it...

What works for him may not work for everyone. Certainly for the patients with persistent pain that I work with, just telling them "stop whining" isn't going to be the best help.

People come because they need help; because they are not managing to cope with the pain on their own. If I can gently move their attitude from "fix me" towards "there is something active I can do to help manage my pain better" then I'm doing my job.

Comment

it’s not meant to be an advice from a PT to a pain patient.

Comment

Watching the Cavs play the Celtics I've come to this conclusion for the #1 risk factor for injury in sport….

Participation

Comment

Pictures that some at SS may "get"

Click image for larger version

Name:	dilbert.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	344899

Comment

Name:	awesome.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	344900

Comment

Got it here but worth a reminder

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	344901

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                Working...
                                X