Pot-Pourri

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve.
    I appreciate what you're saying. There's much to be said for persevering in the face of adversity in the form of "a significant amount of BS", as you rather charitably put it.

However, I'm curious from what direction you think the pendulum has swung and where in the arc it is now?

Is it a pendulum or a runaway train?
    John Ware, PT
    Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
    "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
    “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
    be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

Hi John,

I envision the pendulum hanging from what might be a cuckoo clock. It is currently stuck in its mid-state, as the clock needs to be wound. Those who understand pain better are pulling on the chain that winds the clock, and those who don't are mightily pulling on the other chain, which will likely make the clock run backward or not at all. They outweigh us at the moment by a substantial amount, but not by as much as they did last year, or the year before, or the year before, or the year before......

And the clock is on a runaway train which is driven by an engineer who is asleep at the wheel. But that's OK, because the linesman further down is asleep at the switch too.

Comment

And the clock is on a runaway train which is driven by an engineer who is asleep at the wheel. But that's OK, because the linesman further down is asleep at the switch too.
        I see a derailment in the not-too-distant future- and then we'll all be really dead, not just metaphorically alienated from the profession.

By the way, if you're one of those pulling to wind the clock, then I'm afraid, my friend, that you are indeed a deadman.
        John Ware, PT
        Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
        "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
        “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
        be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

-I struggle with the idea of applying or using an intervention on someone that I would never allow to be performed on myself...
          I may not be as smart as most people, but I'm sure as hell not as dumb....
          "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

Originally posted by Mikal Solstad View Post
            I envy those who, as John Ware recently said, work with patients who are actually sick.

I can not see myself working in this profession 10-15 years from now...
            Other professions have enraging problems as well. The grass is not greener. There's a lot of interesting problems to solve in your profession. What's wrong with it?

Comment

Originally posted by mrupe82 View Post
              -I struggle with the idea of applying or using an intervention on someone that I would never allow to be performed on myself...
              Wow, this hit close to home.... I do not let people do manipulations on me (for the most part)..... so why am I (as you to perfectly put it) struggling with the idea of applying it to patients?
              Roy
              El Paso, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by CalDude View Post
                Other professions have enraging problems as well. The grass is not greener. There's a lot of interesting problems to solve in your profession. What's wrong with it?
                We are not exactly saving lives, here, we are attempting (and failing) to treat pain.

We are stabbing people with needles, pushing on their spines, bruising them with "massage" and instruments, making them worry about having "bad posture" and "being weak".

What's wrong with it?

I am not sure that it should even exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikal Solstad View Post
                  We are not exactly saving lives, here, we are attempting (and failing) to treat pain.

We are stabbing people with needles, pushing on their spines, bruising them with "massage" and instruments, making them worry about having "bad posture" and "being weak".

What's wrong with it?

I am not sure that it should even exist.
                  I disagree. Yes, there are a lot of things we are doing wrong as a profession.

BUT, if done right, which profession is better placed to offer quality conservative care for people in pain?

Comment

gilbert,

You're confusing me. Perhaps you're confused.

I agree with Mikal.
                    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Hi Barrett
                      That makes two of us.
                      So why are you a PT?
                      Don't you still think you have something to offer patients in pain?

Comment

gilbert,

I sense that I have a lot to offer the patient in pain, but these things don't include what's taught in the schools very often.
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

So Barrett, does that mean you think the profession shouldn't exist? Or that it needs to make drastic changes to validate it's position and existence? I agree that A LOT of what is taught in the schools is... let's say poor... and there is a heavy amount of outdated and disprove modalities on the board exam...
                          Roy
                          El Paso, Texas

Comment

Matt,

Great thread! It echos to a whole lot of thoughs and mixed feelings I try to survive to every single day...
                            Frédéric Wellens, pht
                            «We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.»
                            «
                            Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
                            »
                            Friedrich Nietzsche
                            www.physioaxis.ca
                            chroniquesdedouleur blog

Comment

I think that PT itself is a wonderful and helpful and potentially helpful profession.

I don't think we should be sticking needles into each our patients or adhering to the dictates of those who WRONGFULLY contend that "bad" posture or weakness leads to pain. The problem is far more complex than that.

We haven't progressed as a profession due to laziness, willful ignorance and a lack of curiosity.

When a new DPT knows nothing of modern pain science I can only draw the conclusions I have.

I've met many.
                              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Two times per week for 8 weeks? Would you go to your dentist that often?
                                I may not be as smart as most people, but I'm sure as hell not as dumb....
                                "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X