The best 3 abs exercices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken Jakalski View Post

The most important fact of all is that the abdominal and oblique muscles play no dynamically active role in protecting the back, especially if one's breath is not held. It is the deeper lying transversus muscle (which is not exercised by situps or crunches!) which contracts first in response to breath-holding and straining during lifting and spinal extension.
    Ken,
    For chronic non-specific low back pain do our spines really even need "protecting"? I think that some exercises that transfer load from the LE to the UE can have a positive impact on self-efficacy and may decrease the threat of movement, it seems that much of the current literature shows that there doesnt seem to be any form of exercise that is better than others (graded exposure, "core" stability, mckenzie, etc.), right? But, if we assume that the spine would benefit from stability, one thing I have a hard time reconciling is how the TA would actually do this. It seems like it could provide some possible stability by increasing the intra-abdominal pressure, but I have a hard time understanding how the horizontal pull of a very thin muscle will improve "stability". But I would appreciate any references you have demonstrating improved TA activation, strength, and stability.

I can envision the trunk musculature becoming important for patients who must resist an extension moment (linemen, gymnasts, throwers, laborers, etc). For me, the core's role is to adequately transfer forces from the ground to the UE. So the more dynamically stiff the core, the more efficient the energy transfer and less reliance on passive support structures like the pars and ligaments of the spine. Then again, I can not say that I can support this with any literature that I know of, so I suppose it is just a hypothesis.

My personal favorites:

1) long bar rows and presses
    2) diagonal chops and lifts
    3) Stu McGill's rotational planks, "stir the pot"

Comment

I thought TA automatically fired with any exercise? Should not the TA be helpful to contribute to intrabdominal pressure for heavy overhead lifts? Russians used to think so anyway.

Core neuro/muscles have a preponderance of type 2 aerobic muscle nerve/fibers. Some NSCA researchers therefore say to train using 50% one rep max. using higher reps. Runners should have better times due to increased aerobic metabolism. You know, less anaerobic acids floating around. Think of using 20reps and not thousands though.

McGill's stuff, and rows not enough ideaomotion for my taste, although may work great for some. Too much spine compression for me. Along the lines of more ideaomotion consider using SL Romanian toe touch. Lots of ideaomotion (freedom of motion) there. I read where it trains the whole core (SL Rom. DL), ha,. That sounds too good to be true.
      Last edited by smith; 25-05-2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X