Tiger...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diane View Post
    Sort of like, they used up all their juice?
    Another possibility is, the synaptic junctions have used up all theirs, and they can't inhibit properly anymore the surrounding neuronal array to limit movement to the desired target movement. True smudge-ification.
    I agree and have a slightly different take on it. Rather than the brain no longer inhibiting properly, the brain is facilitating/creating the dystonia. Not necessarily ascending/descending facilitation but the dystonia is purposeful, and obviously the brain is not "ready" to perform the desired movement. Could it be that there is an advantageous purpose of the dystonia but "we" just don't know what it is?

Comment

• Originally posted by gcdpt View Post
      I agree and have a slightly different take on it. Rather than the brain no longer inhibiting properly, the brain is facilitating/creating the dystonia. Not necessarily ascending/descending facilitation but the dystonia is purposeful, and obviously the brain is not "ready" to perform the desired movement. Could it be that there is an advantageous purpose of the dystonia but "we" just don't know what it is?
      I doubt it.
      I agree with removal of inhibition model.
      Diane
      www.dermoneuromodulation.com
      SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
      HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
      Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
      @PainPhysiosCan
      WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
      @WCPTPTPN
      Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

• He is most likely depressed and I wonder if anyone has bothered to talk to him about this? or is the focus entirely on whatever is left of that unfortunate disc? I think he has been mismanaged but from a distance that would be hard to estimate.

Comment

• http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...2457-golf.html
          I may not be as smart as most people, but I'm sure as hell not as dumb....
          "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

• If only Tiger would fire surgeons like he fires caddies.
            Ryan Appell DPT
            @Rappell_PT

Comment

• His agent is saying these reports are false. Having seen many people with three or more back surgeries, I've yet to see any of them tolerate much more than a reclined position. I'm curious how long it will be until he undergoes a fusion.
              "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

• on cue...

Tiger undergoes fusion.

Now, how long till they diagnose him with failed back syndrome?
                Ryan Appell DPT
                @Rappell_PT

Comment

• I hate when I'm right....

Comment

• There are so many things I think when looking at Tiger's initial on-set to now having four back surgeries. I can only say so much not having a true understanding of his symptoms and issues. That said I have a few questions to ask:

What if Tiger simply stayed away from formal "treatment" and went on feel i.e. let things calm and build back up?

What if he was given simple re-assurance and not provided "treatment" under the context of structural abnormality?

What if someone blatantly and truthfully told him the evidence for ineffectiveness of injections and back surgery?

What if he accepted his limitations, current situation, made amends and got on with a life outside of his sports career?

Am I the only one that needs to say "Tiger, I'm sorry, but you are a perfect example of every thing that's wrong with the treatment of low back pain. You've been provided with an outdated understanding of low back pain and an ineffective yet harmful surgery. I understand you have pain, but the treatments provided to you are ineffective for you concerns."

I'm sure what I've said can and will come under scrutiny. But I stand by this:

Those treating people with back pain would better serve people by NOT TREATING it. Those with back pain, may be better served by simply accepting and moving on with their life. Given the current state of low back pain treatment, I'd love to be proven wrong.
                    Last edited by Johnny_Nada; 21-04-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Nothing surprising here and I agree with Johnny. It means very little if not a thing. I'm influential but not powerful. I think. I'm pretty sure.

I spent some time with one of the PTs "on tour" with the likes of other PGA golfers years ago. What he didn't know appalled me. Of course, I changed all of that.

Actually, I didn't change anything.

I think Tiger is a lesson for many of us, but, believe it or not, not vocal enough to say what the culture might hear. I'd say his celebrity wasn't large enough either. As big as he was, how many play golf or hear anything he says?

More money than he can spend, but he listens to someone aside from us.
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

• The crappy thing for these guys is that one missed putt costs them $500,000. One missed tournament can cost a million bucks. 5 missed seasons is millions and millions of dollars. If I were in his shoes and my choices were "do nothing and be reassured," and "lets try one more surgery," I would probably make the same choice. His career is over, as unfortunate as it is. I've worked with golfers before and it is one of those sports where the athlete can make an amazing amount of money, but one bad season will end a money stream. The other problem is these guys rarely have anything else to fall back on as an income stream that is anywhere close to the level that pro golf provides. Imagine if you had to take a 95% pay cut to be pain reduced.
                        Michael Heinrich DPT.

My opinions and statements on this site are not a reflection of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Federal government.

Comment

• His narrative seems to be packed with so called dysfunctions and bogus diagnoses

It's a tragic industry.
                          Morten

Comment

• Maybe we aren't built to tolerate that kind of rotation? Of course, we seem not to be built for American football either. Woody Hayes always said that "God invented the knee before he invented football."

A great line.

Better we should just juggle, but I'm rather biased.
                            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

• Originally posted by Nomadic View Post
                              The crappy thing for these guys is that one missed putt costs them $500,000. One missed tournament can cost a million bucks. 5 missed seasons is millions and millions of dollars. If I were in his shoes and my choices were "do nothing and be reassured," and "lets try one more surgery," I would probably make the same choice. His career is over, as unfortunate as it is. I've worked with golfers before and it is one of those sports where the athlete can make an amazing amount of money, but one bad season will end a money stream. The other problem is these guys rarely have anything else to fall back on as an income stream that is anywhere close to the level that pro golf provides. Imagine if you had to take a 95% pay cut to be pain reduced.

Comment

• Speaking of professional golfers as if they worried about things more than any other human being seems ridiculous to me.

They have chosen a path that requires regular practice, luck, good looks and talent. There are probably a few other things in there.

Anyway, the requirements sound familiar.
                                Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Working...
                                X