Tiger...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nomadic,

For some reason my message did not come through above.

I don't want to get into a discussion about money and someone that had the highest income amongst all world athletes time and time again. Money is no object for this particular person.

I echo Barrett's comment. What difference does it make if its a construction worker or Tiger? Are there things one can do? They could pursue other occupations but most don't. I see countless individuals 50 and above struggling to continue as brick masons, roofers, landscapers, laborers. I continue rehabbing them after a knee meniscectomy, shoulder arthroscopy and lumbar procedures. They all have something in common.

Some things are not well suited for an aging population. Some occupations require a physical capacity of 100%. Anything less may result in one's inability to compete (professional sports) or complete (physical occupations).

If one is not ready or willing to accept their limitations and alter their path, then healthcare will be happy to step in. Unfortunately for Tiger, and many of the aging workforce I see, the results are what John W called in a recent thread, a tragedy.

So who do we call out. The distressed, suffering individual not willing to accept or alter their lifestyle, occupation, etc?

Or

Healthcare willing to provide "treatment" without benefit, countless harms and a likely path toward disability?

What a mess...
    Last edited by Johnny_Nada; 23-04-2017, 01:17 AM.
    I may not be as smart as most people, but I'm sure as hell not as dumb....
    "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

• Deadpool....perfect anti-pseudoscience superhero there Johnny.

Comment

• There's a long thread on Facebook about the failure of Tiger's treatment. It's on the Explaining Pain Science page.

I'm of the notion that human bodies aren't built for that kind of rotation and that the ones in charge of Tiger's treatment don't know what they might. I assume that the therapists think that pain is an input.

It's not possible to change that belief and it begins before neuroscience discovered otherwise.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

• John's post #105 is about someone dealing with focal dystonia. Though not painful, it is one of those things addressed by Ramachandran in the '90s (yes, during the last century) and reported on at an APTA convention I attended.

When I worked and taught in the teens of this century none of the therapists I encountered had heard of either Ramachandran or the mirror box and procedures he proposed. They were too busy "helping others" to learn anything they had found adequate.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
          Working...
          X