Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really should not matter how the information is delivered. It shouldn't matter if I'm a raving lunatic. If the information is correct, then it should stand on its own merits.
    My concern with the above is that it implies that information receiving is impartial and information is ... partial?/valenced whereas all the neuroscience indicates it isn't. We're constantly projecting/correlating valence on to the information coming in and that creates a grounding effect. I generally think that when I put the word 'should' in a sentence that I am placing more truth on my theory of something than the reality of something and reality should trump theory. I increasingly think a lot of the disagreements aren't about theory vs theory but rather are the theories being misplaced onto the aspects of reality.

The difficulty with what we discuss is that it is so central to humanity and suffering and all the other emotional reasons that we generally prefer to be alive than inanimate that it can't be taken as anything but predicated on some form of emotion/valency. Personally I don't see a problem with the tone thing, I read it as a lot of people passionate about a central thing - people and having different views. Difference isn't bad.

I don't know what your excuse is.
    Congenital laziness on my behalf I guess
    Last edited by Mark Hollis; 29-05-2014, 01:03 AM. Reason: single sentence wishing to join the party
    "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." ("Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.“) Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Question your tea spoons. Georges Perec

Comment

Originally posted by Alice Sanvito View Post
      When the message is unwelcome, there will always be complaints about how it is delivered. If you can't refute the message, you can always fall back on flaws in the delivery. This wastes time and distracts from the information. That is why I reject complaints about "tone."

It really should not matter how the information is delivered. It shouldn't matter if I'm a raving lunatic. If the information is correct, then it should stand on its own merits. If it is incorrect - as Barrett says, show me exactly where I'm wrong and support it with evidence.

And if you can't do that . . . well, shut the f___ up.

Namaste.

I had a dispute with a female colleague over the weekend about the merits of acupuncture. I referenced several authors and consistently backed up whatever message I was delivering with a science driven (and referenced again) premise.

Within 10 minutes she said the following:

"I don't like your tone and the fact that you think everything can be explained by science and evidence....maybe you should open your mind a bit....I KNOW acupuncture works because it cured my shin splints"

This is what our profession has come to....

My wife latter informed me that I was rude in the conversation (this colleague is also a long time friend of hers....an aquaintance rather of mine).

I disagreed with my wife....

Comment

"I don't like your tone and the fact that you think everything can be explained by science and evidence....maybe you should open your mind a bit....I KNOW acupuncture works because it cured my shin splints"
        That pretty much sums up the response of most massage therapists. It's pretty difficult to have a productive conversation because you can't even agree on what constitutes evidence.

I disagreed with my wife….
        Danger, Will Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice Sanvito View Post
          shut the f___ up.

Namaste.

I'm thinking this would make a great t-shirt.
          Rod Henderson, PT, ScD, OCS
          It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. — Jonathan Swift

Comment

It really should not matter how the information is delivered. It shouldn't matter if I'm a raving lunatic. If the information is correct, then it should stand on its own merits. If it is incorrect - as Barrett says, show me exactly where I'm wrong and support it with evidence.

And if you can't do that . . . well, shut the f___ up.
            I do want to make it clear that Barrett did not say that last sentence, I did.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
            Working...
            X