X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
    Perhaps it's too late.
    I disagree.*

He has 4300+ twitter followers and 2500+ likes on FB; he continues to gain a following with clinicians who prefer a complex toolbox with a special holster for pain science.

His numbers eclipse yours, Joe Brence's, and SS combined on FB.

His popularity is on the ascent, in my estimation.

Respectfully,
    Keith

*ETA: Sorry Barrett, when I become a 'top poster' I will agree with you
    Blog: Keith's Korner
    Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

The numbers are meaningless. You can buy them.

I like your use of the word "holster."

His message is relentless and I know that its aggression appeals to many, but that doesn't mean it's correct or that he's actually "liked."
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I think this guy who he called a jerk is nico_chile. Nicolas- the soma simpleton- has posted here a grand total of 14 times in over 3 years.

Don't you need to be a little more prolific to reach "soma simpleton" stature?

ANdy,
        First of all, you need to start agreeing with me more or we're going to revoke your "top-poster" card.

Maybe, this is just a matter of style. You Brits tend to have a reflexive graciousness, which I think we Americans may have thrown into Boston Harbor with all that tea.

Anyway, I call spades spades- I don't see that changing.
        John Ware, PT
        Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
        "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
        “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
        be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

I'd rather be a SomaSimpleton. :angel:

Excerpt:
          There wasn't enough time to present the lecture I have about operator vs. interactor models, unfortunately - translating everything means a class takes twice as long. I really really want to get across the point though, that implements are not necessary for treating anything in the periphery that has to do with pain. Only careful hands. The nervous system is absolutely self-corrective, as long as it's intact and has the ability to make any and all proteins, receptors etc., that it needs for its own maintenance. I saw this paper (full text) posted this morning and want to share it - Flexible Cerebral Connectivity Patterns Subserve Contextual Modulations of Pain. Can you imagine the detriment to this sort of brain function if it has to put up with gouging tools, needles and high velocity manipulation? From a certain subset of practitioner who has decided they Must Be In Control of the Situation? And don't want to allow a nervous system have its own natural response? (To me, this is like a subset of rape culture.)

Another very short comment appeared in a wonderful blogpost by David Butler today, who apparently has been in Paris, visiting Pasteur's home:
          "I came out thinking “this man has saved far more lives than the Mona Lisa ever will, and why are scientists hardly revered these days – adulation goes to politicians, sportsmen and Kardashian types”. I am sure most people think the term “pasteurized/pasteurised” on the milk carton means the milk came from a pasture. And too many of my colleagues think they have to be doctors to get anywhere."

Yes.
          Oh yes.
          Such nonsensical and completely beside-the-point puffery. Egos walking on hind legs. I'd much rather be a SomaSimpleton.
          Diane
          www.dermoneuromodulation.com
          SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
          HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
          Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
          Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
          @PainPhysiosCan
          WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
          @WCPTPTPN
          Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
          SomaSimple on Facebook
          @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

The numbers are meaningless. You can buy them.
            From a March 12th post on his facebook account: At 1905 likes! Thanks for the support and shares! Keep sharing! At 2000, someone wins an EDGE, EDGEility, EDGE Bands, EDGE Solution and 1 year to the OMPT Channel!

I'll leave it at that.

Dr. E can call me whatever he wants. I feel like we have an understanding of each other and while I do not support some of the crap he says or does, he is more ambitious than many in our field. The weekly links by "soma simpletons" here, actually improves his S.E.O and likely drives additional "likes" to his page.

In terms of attracting numbers to my site, I can only speak for myself in saying, my focus is to attract thinkers. I could honestly care less about numbers. We are attempting to attract those who truly care about improving our profession. You can teach a child to manipulate. You can teach a monkey to use a tool. But can you teach either to clinically reason?

Disclaimer: I am not calling those who manipulate or use tools "children or monkeys". I am implying the utter difficulty that it takes a mature anterior cingulate cortex to overcome a "Stroop Effect" and clinically reason, when posed with a concept which challenges a pre-conceived notion (internal conflict resolution)
            Last edited by joebrence9; 18-09-2013, 05:56 AM.
            Joseph Brence, DPT, FAAOMPT, COMT, DAC
            "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
            Blog: www.forwardthinkingpt.com

Comment

Maybe, this is just a matter of style. You Brits tend to have a reflexive graciousness, which I think we Americans may have thrown into Boston Harbor with all that tea.

Anyway, I call spades spades- I don't see that changing.

Ah John, perhaps it is all about dissonance .

I fear as a "minor" poster my disagreeing is irrelevant.

yours graciously

ANdy
              "Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Comment

Lets say I referred to myself as 'THE Vestibular Therapist'. I would make damn sure I understood every facet of the research. I would be open to questioning and discussion in order to improve my understanding of the vestibular system. Why? Because my title states that I'm THE guy to see. I would be actively seeking out new knowledge and research in order to improve my skills and achieve better outcomes. I think I'll stick with Rob Willcott PT.

PS: I have 1975 twitter followers! Do I get a sticker?
                Last edited by advantage1; 18-09-2013, 01:12 PM.
                Rob Willcott Physiotherapist

Comment

Originally posted by advantage1 View Post
                  Lets say I referred to myself as 'THE Vestibular Therapist'. I would make damn sure I understood every facet of the research. I would be open to questioning and discussion in order to improve my understanding of the vestibular system. Why? Because my title states that I'm THE guy to see. I would be actively seeking out new knowledge and research in order to improve my skills and achieve better outcomes. I think I'll stick with Rob Willcott PT.

PS: I have 1975 twitter followers! Do I get a sticker?
                  I'm happy with dizzyphysio as I'm still struggling with the science and I only have two or three patients on the go at any one time.

Re: stickers,I can offer: starfish,racing cars,dogs,cats or wizards.
                  Last edited by Jo Bowyer; 18-09-2013, 02:00 PM.
                  Jo Bowyer
                  Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
                  "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by joebrence9 View Post
                    The weekly links by "soma simpletons" here, actually improves his S.E.O and likely drives additional "likes" to his page.
                    Yep...I link his stuff here a fair amount. Mostly critical but I do think what he's throwing out there and how popular he has become is barometer on the pusle of trends in learning for PT's in general. So I think his "popular" site is something we should be watching and discussing the content.

Here is the thing. I think he is leaps and bounds better than some courses in Canada that shall remain un-named. I'll admit that I read his site because I find it informative and keeps me in the loop on what new stuff is out there. I'm taking an SFMA course in a way due to his site.

The difference between Dr. E and myself I think is that I've got no horses in the race. My #1 priority is to provide excellent care that is both effective AND as aligned with what science informs us as I can be. That my friends is the real trick...

As I've indicated here before, any fool can heighten expectation (which BTW can be achieved via reputation, deserved or undeserved, as Moseley indicated in a recent presentation). But it is a fine balance between deception for the sake of heightening expectation and creating a more powerful placebo...and unethical behavior.

I've obviously never met Erson personally but my gut tells me he has not fully crossed the chasm...or put another way....has too many horses in the race to be motivated to do so.

Nevertheless, he is closer to crossing the chasm than 99% of the clinicians I come in contact with.

I just wish he had more maturity than he clearly does. I mean, his online behavior clearly suggests it's either a maturity issue...or he does indeed have narcassistic personality disorder.

For his sake, I'm hoping it's the the former.
                    Last edited by proud; 18-09-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I think Dr. E, DPT has every intention of being a "playa". I've seen this kind of thing too many times now not to recognize it for what it is. There are some crafty, energetic and pretty smart individuals past and present who understand how this system works- or more accurately doesn't work (for the patient that is), and they find ways to manipulate it, which just so happens to work towards their personal financial gain and, probably even more importantly to them, their professional power and prestige.

We work in a system- a game- with irrational rules. Maybe it's the former athlete in me, but I choose not to play a game that is inherently corrupt and unfair. Frankly when I tried, it made me physically ill, and I was starting to yell at my kids for no reason. Thank God, I have a child and wife who won't stand for that.

I think Erson has at least one child. Perhaps he or she is still too young for it to have that much of an impact. Perhaps his wife is more passive than mine.

Perhaps he doesn't give a damn. He just wants to be a "playa".
                      John Ware, PT
                      “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot

Comment

BTW, ANdy,

I am unilaterally making the decision that- with over 1000 posts- you qualify as a "major contributor" to the site.

I think we need someone with the computer graphics skills to come up with a badge for this. And we also need a special one for all of us "soma simpletons".

Then, we can all go to Dr. E, DPT's blog and personally thank him for the idea. :angel:
                        John Ware, PT

Comment

Originally posted by John W View Post
                          BTW, ANdy,

I am unilaterally making the decision that- with over 1000 posts- you qualify as a "major contributor" to the site.

I think we need someone with the computer graphics skills to come up with a badge for this. And we also need a special one for all of us "soma simpletons".

Then, we can all go to Dr. E, DPT's blog and personally thank him for the idea. :angel:
                          Maybe we just need a certification course for becoming a SomaSimpleton (SS) then I can add it to the initials behind my name.:angel:

Kory Zimney, PT, DPT, CSMT, SS
                          Kory Zimney, PT, DPT

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei

Comment

Originally posted by joebrence9 View Post
                            From a March 12th post on his facebook account: At 1905 likes! Thanks for the support and shares! Keep sharing! At 2000, someone wins an EDGE, EDGEility, EDGE Bands, EDGE Solution and 1 year to the OMPT Channel!

I'll leave it at that.
                            Hmmn.
                            My Facebook page has more than 15,000 likes, and on twitter, more than 1300. Does that make me more popular than him? According to his metrics? Do I win a trophy or something? Maybe a free face gouger?
                            Diane
                            www.dermoneuromodulation.com
                            SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
                            HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
                            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                            Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
                            Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
                            @PainPhysiosCan
                            WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
                            @WCPTPTPN
                            Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
                            SomaSimple on Facebook
                            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

John, I always enjoy your acerbic wit!

I will change my signature line to add:
                              SS (Cert.)

When I get over 10,000 posts it will be
                              BSS (Cert.) BIG SomaSimpleton.
                              By the time I am 80 years old, I will be able to claim BSS (Diplomate)
                              We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                              Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

I so wish I had the graphic skills to design our SomaSimpleton badge. Wouldn't that look great emblazoned on an avatar next to our humble and gracious acknowledgement of Dr. E, DPT's contribution to humanity over at his very own blog?
                                John Ware, PT

Comment

Working...
                                X