Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref Expectation....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...?dopt=Abstract
    "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Thanks Matt, very interesting study.

CONCLUSION:

General expectations of benefit have a strong influence on clinical outcomes for patients with neck pain.
    Can we say that this study suggests that non specific effects related to any of the interventions appear to be the main drivers in determining effectiveness /symptom relief ? (at least for this patient sample)

The manual therapy interventions of massage (87%) and manipulation (75%) had the highest proportion of patients who expected these interventions to significantly improve neck pain. These were followed by strengthening (70%) and range of motion (54%) exercises.
    Interesting spectrum. Also, interesting that strengthening is ranked higher than range of motion exercises. It seems to me that this ranking is consistent with societal and cultural beliefs of pain and rehabilitation.
    Last edited by Evanthis Raftopoulos; 23-03-2013, 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    -Evan. The postings on this site are my own and do not represent the views or policies of my employer or APTA.
    The reason why an intellectual community is necessary is that it offers the only hope of grasping the whole. -Robert Maynard Hutchins.

Comment

Full text.
      Attached Files
      -Evan. The postings on this site are my own and do not represent the views or policies of my employer or APTA.
      The reason why an intellectual community is necessary is that it offers the only hope of grasping the whole. -Robert Maynard Hutchins.

Comment

Expecting the same as Wanting?

In reading this study, is it going to far to infer that patients will be benefited by treatments that they want to benefit them?

Is expecting a treatment to help the same as wanting a treatment to help? Or is that stretching the meaning a bit to far when interpreting scientific papers?

Thanks!
        "It sounds like you're saying something interesting but I'm not following what it might be. I have a hard time making my own thoughts clear to others and always hope people will ask me to clarify, but not everyone does. Can you clarify your previous post?" ~ Jon Newman

Comment

What is the difference between belief and hope?

To me, hope represents a possibility, belief unleashes behavior and emotion.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Working...
          X