This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref Students of AAOMPT Blog: Pain Videos

The Student Special Interest Group (SSIG) of AAOMPT has a four part series on pain in which they shared 4 very relevant videos relating to pain, understanding pain, and educating people about pain. These are all videos that have been shared through various mediums before, and many of you will be familiar. You can access them below:

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

They now have posed a few questions about physical therapist student education and patient education. Appears they would like to start a discussion, and I am interested to see if people participate. I think it is exciting that a student group is sharing these resources, and attempting to engage the profession at large about pain. Some may not agree, but I see this as a small act that may (hopefully) signify important change.

Pain Discussion

Students: Is pain management being taught in your education? If so, how is this concept being taught? As a future physical therapist, do you believe we should have a better understanding of pain prior to graduating?

Practitioners: How often are you implementing pain education into your practice? Should pain management be a priority in the DPT curriculum? Is pain management only necessary for "chronic" or "persistent" pain patients, or do you believe that it may be adventitious to incorporate some of these concepts with any patient who is in pain?
    I will be commenting at some point.
    Last edited by Kyle Ridgeway; 03-12-2012, 07:26 AM. Reason: Formatting.
    Kyle Ridgeway, PT, DPT
    PT Think Tank |@Dr_Ridge_DPT | Google+
    "It takes a deep commitment to change and an even deeper commitment to grow." - Ralph Ellison

I wanted to give this post a bump. Would love for people to comment as they are able on the pain discussion post.
    Kyle Ridgeway, PT, DPT
    "It takes a deep commitment to change and an even deeper commitment to grow." - Ralph Ellison

Comment

Kyle,

I bookmarked this thread, and I intend to get involved in the discussion. Thanks for the bump to remind me. (The new format here for finding recent threads has me a little out of sync).
      John Ware, PT
      Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
      "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
      “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
      be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

You are welcome. I am waiting for more students and PT's to comment before I comment. I am curious to see how the discussion evolves.
        Kyle Ridgeway, PT, DPT

Comment

I didn't wait- imagine that...
          John Ware, PT
          “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot

Comment

I have pinned this thread.
            Diane
            www.dermoneuromodulation.com
            SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
            HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
            Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
            @PainPhysiosCan
            WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
            @WCPTPTPN
            Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Another great student endeavor. The students at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Physical Therapy Program participate in the Marquette Challenge which raises money for The Foundation for Physical Therapy.

In March 2013, Steven George will be giving a lecture entitled “Update on Musculoskeletal Pain for Practicing Clinicians”. Cost $130. All proceeds donated to the foundation.

This is fantastic news and I will be going!

Thread summarizing the course
              Last edited by Kyle Ridgeway; 06-09-2014, 03:48 AM. Reason: Added link to other thread
              Kyle Ridgeway, PT, DPT

Comment

read this
                Last edited by John W; 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM. Reason: removed link-unkown poster

Comment

NikkiReo,
                  I removed your link because we don't know who you are, and there's a high likelihood that this is spam.

You're welcome to introduce yourself in the Welcome Forum, and then if you have something of interest to the board of a non-spam nature, we'll be more than happy to take a look.
                  John Ware, PT

Comment

Another gem from the students at CU:

Teaching People About Pain: Understanding and Addressing Pain in Health Care
                    Adriaan Louw, PT, PhD
                    Kyle Ridgeway, PT, DPT

Comment

PT Student Blog: Pain

Another nice effort by a current DPT Student

Maybe the future is brighter than we anticipate? Is change happening?

PT Brain Trust Blog

A few interesting posts:
                      Was it the HVLAT? A reflective case discussion (Kenny V commented on this)
                      Hey, where is that pain from?
                      Kyle Ridgeway, PT, DPT

Comment

Student Change

Hello Kyle, et al
                        First, thanks for the shout-out.
                        Second, this is my first post on SomaSimple having stalked it for a year+.
                        Third, I believe that the "hacking" of the DPT curriculum is where the change is happening quickest. Here and other blogs, social media exposure, etc.

As students our focus is to pass the National Boards. I think there is a tough game to play as a student. We are trying to become the best we can, while our study standards are to prove to the governing body that we are safe and competent (which we should be, no doubt). Perhaps that makes sense. It is easier to define what not to do to a patient, vs what is the best thing to do.

I might argue that not understanding pain and the power of communication (ex: controlling nocebo statements, etc) is 'what not to do'... but perhaps that is a bias.
                        -Matt D

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                        Working...
                        X