This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref Stories of pain and discomfort

I find narratives and stories of peoples experiences with pain and discomfort fascinating. Personally it adds and widens my own understanding of the experience. I would like to dedicate this thread to some of those narratives. Here is some other prominent threads on SS regarding narrative and story:

Book Club: Narrative, Pain and Suffering
    Story and Narrative

There is a lot of sports references below but it does not have to be exactly sports.

Kris Jenkins’s View of Life in the N.F.L. Trenches

AS FREEZING PERSONS RECOLLECT THE SNOW—FIRST CHILL—THEN STUPOR—THEN THE LETTING GO

Everybody gets popped

The Hazards of Growing Up Painlessly

For A Hockey Player, It's Pain Vs. Desire

It Hurts So Real

These are just a few that stick out in my head. Some of them are listed in other places here on SSimple. As I search through the world wide web I will try to add more. If anyone has any particular ones they would like to add, then go for it.

Eric
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Body is imbued with mind, and mind is embodied.

This could become a very dense and important thread. Maybe a sticky?
    Kyle Ridgeway, PT, DPT
    PT Think Tank |@Dr_Ridge_DPT | Google+
    "It takes a deep commitment to change and an even deeper commitment to grow." - Ralph Ellison

Comment

Done. It could also be moved to a different forum if people want.
      Diane
      www.dermoneuromodulation.com
      SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
      HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
      Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
      @PainPhysiosCan
      WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
      @WCPTPTPN
      Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

A compelling story of man whom lived to tell a story of being stabbed. I think Barrett featured it in a thread somewhere but I cannot find it.

[YT]yhMi0tkYyT8[/YT]

Comment

200 years of Surgery NEJM.

There are some very interesting tales of pain and suffering in here along with the evolution of surgery.

What I find most remarkable, is the history of anesthesia that accompanies the history of surgery. The symbiotic relationship between the two is harrowing.

I can't help but think that there would be an equally interesting story here, detailing how what originally began as a method to suppress a sense of harm and its expression to allow invasion of the body, grew into a model for suppressing a normal part of the human experience.

Oh how medicine got that part so wrong.

Eric

Comment

There's a story you could write and I would love to read.
            Diane
            www.dermoneuromodulation.com
            SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
            HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
            Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
            @PainPhysiosCan
            WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
            @WCPTPTPN
            Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

And suffering. Arthur Kleinman

Arthur Kleinman, MD
              There are key psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia and depression, but I’m very concerned about people who have ordinary unhappiness, or have experienced a catastrophe, or just bad luck, and are renamed depressed or having an anxiety disorder. That’s happening in a big way right now. I’m concerned about taking ordinary life, stripping it of its moral content, and making it over into a disease.
              My bold. An interview with Dr. Kleinman can be accessed here. His book, albeit old, The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing, and the Human Condition was one of the first, tangible resources that fundamentally altered how I view patient care.

Also, his take on Caregiving via his experience doing so for his wife.

We tend to think of dangers and uncertainties as anomalies in the continuum of life, or irruptions of unpredictable forces into a largely predictable world. I suggest the contrary: that dangers and uncertainties are an inescapable dimension of life. In fact, as we shall come to understand, they make life matter. They define what it means to be human.
              ― Arthur Kleinman
              Kyle Ridgeway, PT, DPT
              PT Think Tank |@Dr_Ridge_DPT | Google+
              "It takes a deep commitment to change and an even deeper commitment to grow." - Ralph Ellison

Comment

I have ordered his books, thanks for those quotes, great stuff.

That’s happening in a big way right now. I’m concerned about taking ordinary life, stripping it of its moral content, and making it over into a disease.
                I wonder about this part, diagnosis of NSLBP, shoulder impingment etc.

Eric

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                Working...
                X