• Show
Clear All

• Open Office (free software)

Hi Somasimplers,

A free alternative =>
    Open Office

Writer

For all your documents

WRITER has everything you would expect from a modern, fully equipped word processor or desktop publisher.
    It's simple enough for a quick memo, powerful enough to create complete books with contents, diagrams, indexes, etc. You're free to concentrate on your message - while WRITER makes it look great.
    The Wizards takes all the hassle out of producing standard documents such as letters, faxes, agendas, minutes, or carrying out more complex tasks such as mail merges. You are of course free to create your own templates.
    Styles and Formatting puts the power of style sheets into the hands of every user.
    Trap typing mistakes on the fly with the AutoCorrect dictionary, which can check your spelling as you type.
    Reduce typing effort with AutoComplete, which suggests common words and phrases to complete what you are typing.
    AutoFormat takes care of the formatting as you write, leaving you free to concentrate on your message.
    Text frames and linking give you the power to tackle desktop publishing tasks for newsletters, flyers, etc. laid out exactly the way you want them to be.
    Increase the usefulness of your long, complex documents by generating a table of contents or indexing terms, bibliographical references, illustrations, tables, and other objects.
    Email your documents - WRITER offers direct connection to email software.
    Make your documents freely available with WRITER's HTML export to the web, or publish in Portable Document Format (.pdf) to guarantee that what you write is what your reader sees.
    Save your documents in OpenDocument format, the new international standard for office documents. This XML based format means you're not tied in to WRITER. You can access your documents from any OpenDocument compliant software.
    WRITER can of course read all your old Microsoft Word documents, or save your work in Microsoft Word format for sending to people who are still locked into Microsoft products.
    Last edited by bernard; 21-04-2006, 03:19 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
    We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    bernard

Last version is 2.2
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
    We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    bernard

Comment

for your pt who dont know very well this software, there is no compatibility problem with microsoft software since verison 2 of open office. so to resume what bernard said: it will do the same as the ms office suite, and even better, it will convert your file into pdf if you wish, and it's free.
      at home and at my office, i use strictly this suite without any problem. and i always prefer open source software. it follows the first goal of internet: a collaboration effort freely available to share ideas.
      so i use firefox as browser
      and as os i like to use a linux distribution, mainly ubuntu. at work i only have ubuntu as os
      at home i use both winxp and ubuntu since i need xp for some specialized software (music production as a hobby) that are only availbale for xp.
      give it a try, you wont regret.
      pht3k
      Last edited by pht3k; 01-12-2007, 10:26 PM.
      physiotek.com ------ __@
      Eric aka pht3k ---- _`\<,_
      ----------------- (*)/ (*)

Comment

Be careful with OpenOffice - I installed Draw, didn't like it (too complex) and uninstalled it and found that my Paint program had been erased during the original install.

Tim
        Tim Richardson, PT
        www.PhysicalTherapyDiagnosis.com

Comment

Originally posted by pht3k View Post
          for your pt who dont know very well this software, there is no compatibility problem with microsoft software since verison 2 of open office. so to resume what bernard said: it will do the same as the ms office suite, and even better, it will convert your file into pdf if you wish, and it's free.
          at home and at my office, i use strictly this suite without any problem. and i always prefer open source software. it follows the first goal of internet: a collaboration effort freely available to share ideas.
          pht3k
          Hi,
          I agree with you, I have been using Open Office for a year and I think it is a very useful software. I think it is very easy to use. :thumbs_up
          Javier González Iglesias

Comment

Working...
          X