Carol Tavris - Debunking Pseudoneuroscience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIS Carol Tavris - Debunking Pseudoneuroscience

Carol Tavris - Debunking Pseudoneuroscience: video, about an hour. :thumbs_up
    Last edited by Diane; 13-07-2012, 07:32 AM. Reason: terrible speller
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

What a great lecture. Thanks Diane!
    We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
    Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

I stopped watching tv years ago, the internet is much more interesting (and less ad breaks). Thanks Diane, that'll be my sunday night. (oh and it looks like pseudo got typed wrong (although pueudo should be the pseudo spelling of pseudo)
      "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." ("Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.“) Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus Ludwig Wittgenstein
      Question your tea spoons. Georges Perec

Comment

Tavris is one of my heros now. Her and Aronson's book"Mistakes were made" is in my top 10 for sure maybe top 5 right now.

I agree Mark, who has time for TV anymore.
        Byron Selorme -SomaSimpleton and Science Based Yoga Educator
        Shavasana Yoga Center

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Comment

I particularly like her unabashed slamming of junk science. With a sense of humour to boot. Great stuff.
          We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
          Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Byron, thanks for the books heads up, that'll be my saturday library visit. Weekend sorted!:thumbs_up
            "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." ("Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.“) Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus Ludwig Wittgenstein
            Question your tea spoons. Georges Perec

Comment

The book is featured in this thread.
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Is anyone else having trouble with that link?
                Tim Irving DC, MS, LMT

Comment

It looks like the video has been taken down. Bummer.
                  Diane
                  Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                  @PainPhysiosCan
                  @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                  SomaSimple on Facebook
                  @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hollis View Post
                    I stopped watching tv years ago, the internet is much more interesting (and less ad breaks). Thanks Diane, that'll be my sunday night. (oh and it looks like pseudo got typed wrong (although pueudo should be the pseudo spelling of pseudo)
                    That's my bad. I fixed it. Thanks.
                    Diane
                    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                    @PainPhysiosCan
                    @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                    SomaSimple on Facebook
                    @somasimple

Comment

Originally posted by Diane View Post
                      It looks like the video has been taken down. Bummer.
                      Darn it all. If someone finds the link again please repost it, I didn't get to it yet.

Mark, I read about dissonance so much here on SS I thought her book was required reading in order to post. That book and The invisible Gorilla are two thinking books IMO that should be taught to every High School student. Maybe even public school.

Thanks for posting that Barrett. The iPad is a real pain for posting links. Haven't tried the tapatalk thing yet.
                      Shavasana Yoga Center

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Comment

Whoo hoo! Found it again by googling vimeo carol tavris.
                        Odd the APA would take it down. Maybe they didn't like the content.
                        Diane
                        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                        @PainPhysiosCan
                        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                        SomaSimple on Facebook
                        @somasimple

Comment

hmmm. I got a permission denied message. This is a slippery video to catch now, makes me want it more.
                          Shavasana Yoga Center

Comment

Originally posted by byronselorme View Post
                            hmmm. I got a permission denied message. This is a slippery video to catch now, makes me want it more.
                            Maybe it's cached locally on your computer. Someone could put it up in parts on YouTube. Check copyrights!

Comment

Dang...
                              Diane
                              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                              @PainPhysiosCan
                              @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                              SomaSimple on Facebook
                              @somasimple

Comment

Working...
                              X