Meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
    Feldenkrais is a wonderful form of mindfulness, as is simple contact.

We should also be aware of the darker side of meditation.
    We should always be aware of the dark side.

Manual therapy/Injury

Catalysed Involuntary Movement/PNES-NEAD

Meditation-Mindfulness/PTSD-The void

I was lucky enough to spend several years working with a psychiatrist who shared my passion for mind/body issues and continue to work with damaged patients with the clear proviso that I am not a trained counsellor.

Adverse reactions happen, and if you work with high risk patients you will see them and woe betide you if you have not taken an adequate case history,examined your patient and obtained ongoing informed consent. Injured patients have a tendency to withdraw informed consent retrospectively.

The varieties of contemplative experience: A mixed-methods study of meditation-related challenges in Western Buddhists

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0176239

Abstract

Buddhist-derived meditation practices are currently being employed as a popular form of health promotion. While meditation programs draw inspiration from Buddhist textual sources for the benefits of meditation, these sources also acknowledge a wide range of other effects beyond health-related outcomes. The Varieties of Contemplative Experience study investigates meditation-related experiences that are typically underreported, particularly experiences that are described as challenging, difficult, distressing, functionally impairing, and/or requiring additional support. A mixed-methods approach featured qualitative interviews with Western Buddhist meditation practitioners and experts in Theravāda, Zen, and Tibetan traditions. Interview questions probed meditation experiences and influencing factors, including interpretations and management strategies. A follow-up survey provided quantitative assessments of causality, impairment and other demographic and practice-related variables. The content-driven thematic analysis of interviews yielded a taxonomy of 59 meditation-related experiences across 7 domains: cognitive, perceptual, affective, somatic, conative, sense of self, and social. Even in cases where the phenomenology was similar across participants, interpretations of and responses to the experiences differed considerably. The associated valence ranged from very positive to very negative, and the associated level of distress and functional impairment ranged from minimal and transient to severe and enduring. In order to determine what factors may influence the valence, impact, and response to any given experience, the study also identified 26 categories of influencing factors across 4 domains: practitioner-level factors, practice-level factors, relationships, and health behaviors. By identifying a broader range of experiences associated with meditation, along with the factors that contribute to the presence and management of experiences reported as challenging, difficult, distressing or functionally impairing, this study aims to increase our understanding of the effects of contemplative practices and to provide resources for mediators, clinicians, meditation researchers, and meditation teachers.
    Update 25/05/2017
    Last edited by Jo Bowyer; 25-05-2017, 10:22 AM.
    Jo Bowyer
    Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

I would agree Byronselorme that traditional sitting meditation does not work for many people, especially if they have lots of pain. Ryan D already brought up walking meditation, which I think is a great alternative. I also use mantra myself (not transcendental meditation) and often recommend it to patients if they are particularly stuck in negative thinking about their pain. As for the "dark side" I agree with Jo, working within your competency and continuing to get informed consent is key.

Comment

mindful moments

Hello all

I too am very interested in mindfulness and am currently in the process of collating data for my MSc research at King's College.

I am fortunate enough to have joined an NHS team that, although has not been exposed to mindfulness before have really embraced my enthusiasm for it, and after some training sessions and research articles pushed on them (in a friendly way) many have now taken up the practice - very exciting!

I was also given free reign of the (shudders at the title) Functional Rehab class, now renamed unofficially to 'Fun-Rehab: leave your diagnosis at the door'!

There is a strict entry criteria based on catastrophisation, mindfulness and START back and is a 6 week class incorporating mindful practice via various exercises such as tai chi, yoga, pilates etc.
        There is no timer/beeper and no predetermined idea of how much the patients should do. The only rule is 'when it hurts, stop, acknowledge it, ease it, challenge it'
        Which is an attempt to cut through traditional/over-strategised pacing techniques and return the power to the patient, the only authority they need to listen to is their body.

We start every session with formal mindful practice and finish with mindful practice to he'll build the skill, but the reality is the patients spend the majority of the hour in mindful - based practice.

At first they are worried and unsure. They ask a lot of questions, but it so lively to see these reduce over he session as they grow their confidence and trust themselves more.

At the end they re do all the questionnaires demonstrating a significant change int heir scores for the better phew sighs with relief!

I have been personally practicing meditation for 15 years (to a greater and lesser extent - and rediscovered with the link to physiotherapy 3 years ago) and believe personal experience and skill is important to guiding the patient to mindfulness, but perhaps not essential.

Laura
        Last edited by fusionphysio; 03-08-2014, 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

We have a once a month mindfulness course we do in our clinic (multi-disciplinary). It has been beneficial. We mix pain education with the mindfulness and a hint of CBT/ACT.

Patients state they are experiencing less stress and becoming better at limiting their pain experience.

Personally, I have meditated daily (mindfulness or sitting meditation) for about 2 years now. The longest I sit for meditation is 15 minutes. It has helped with frustration tolerance and dealing with negative past events.

I would like to see more clinics focus on this area and forgiveness as well.
          "Physicians are many in name and title, but few in reality." --Hippocrates

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard

Comment

I have heard meditation described as a state of relaxed, non-judgemental
            awareness. Many different techniques have been created to reach it.
            The ones I have tried range from chaotic breathing, shaking, dancing, whirling, walking, sitting silently to lying still.
            The core experience might be very similar, but from the outside it may look very different.
            The only way to teach, learn or practice is to dive in to it as a participant.
            Thinking, reading or writing about it seldom helps.
            If this post does, anyway, I'm grateful.

Comment

Augmenting brain function with meditation: can detachment coincide with empathy?

http://journal.frontiersin.org/artic...015.00141/full

Background and Aim
              Meditation practices aim at modifying the emotions by reducing reactivity to both pleasant and unpleasant emotions (1, 2). Meditation also regulates the attention by reducing distractibility and directing focused attention to the object of meditation (1). In many meditation techniques attention is directed to ongoing experiences without the intention to analyze, judge, get involved, or expect anything which can lead to detachment (3). Detachment here was taken to mean reducing or removing the need to control, possess, and be influenced by the actions of people or circumstances. Detachment or remaining dispassionate is ideally combined with empathy. The aim of the present article is to discuss the neurophysiological basis by which detachment and empathy may co-exist in meditation.
              Jo Bowyer
              Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
              "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Listened to a "you are not so smart" podcast with Michael Taftt. Here is his book. Diane had pointed to it earlier this year on FB. Sounds like it is right up our alley. http://www.amazon.ca/The-Mindful-Gee.../dp/B0155FWYBW
                Byron Selorme -SomaSimpleton and Science Based Yoga Educator
                Shavasana Yoga Center

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by angaho View Post

Yes, stranger in a strange land. What a beautiful book...

I guess I am trying to convey the hurt I felt - and feel - when I can't find my place in ANY community - not the MBSR-teachers, not the Buddhists, not whatever is left of the gatherings around Osho's teachings, not the Zen guys, not the Christians and so on...
                  Not the dancers, writers, actors.
                  Not Swedes, Europeans or Americans.
                  And certainly not among the Physical therapists.

I am trying to make my life choices meaningful- and for some reason it is helpful to me to let it all spill in this forum.

Maybe there is no ONE place for a lover of life - maybe the cure of this pain is to keep moving - expanding and retracting...

... Kind of breathing and sharing...

Love,
                  Anna G
                  Since writing those words a lot has happened.
                  Like me, the author, at last letting myself be thoroughly examined and diagnosed with ASD and ADHD. Which to me explains the limits of what meditation can do for me in terms of transforming my personality. So what is left is the path of acceptance and self-compassion.

Comment

Working...
                  X