No announcement yet.

Upcoming Interview with Alice Sanvito!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Upcoming Interview with Alice Sanvito!

Folks,

I am so pleased to share with you the interview I did with Alice Sanvito, Russian Massage and Neuroscience, on Monday, August 29th at 3pm EDT.

We pre-recorded this show and it was so much fun to chat with Alice. Her wonderful personality came through as we discussed Russian Massage, neuroscience and her teacher, Zhenya Kurashova Wine.

We will also be treated to a wonderful song by Caro (Carol Lynn) at the end of the broadast. She's a fantastic singer and I'm honored to be sharing her music with everyone.

Please tune in for not one but TWO treats!!!

Will

Russian Massage is unique that it is a system of massage entirely based on physiology. Developed in the former Soviet Union as a medical massage, sports massage and part of their physical therapy, it is supported by over 150 years of serious scientific research. What this means is that they have investigated the various strokes and examined exactly what physiological changes each of these strokes, when done in various ways, produces in the body. Today, our guest is Alice Sanvito, LMT who has had the honor of being one of the few Americans trained in Russian Massage by her teacher, Zhenya Kurashova Wine. We will discuss the principles of Russian Massage as well as how recent neuroscience is supporting the system.

Alice graduated from Kaleidoscope School of Massage in 1991 and continued education in sports and medical massage. In particular, extensive training in Russian Medical and Sports Massage, actively studying for ten years with the renowned Zhenya Kurashova Wine, who brought Russian Massage to the United States. Alice has worked as the massage therapist for four shows of Cirque du Soleil and two shows of Riverdance.

Jeez, I don't know. Are we sure about this. Kalidoscope school of massage? Her teacher is named Wine? I wish my professors were named Jack Daniels.

Comment

Yes, it makes The Ohio State University sound rather pedestrian.

We would have destroyed Kaleidoscope in football however.

I'm looking forward to this one, and any opportunity to hear Carol Lynn sing should not be missed.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Just a reminder that we will air Alice's interview in a few hours!!!

If you miss just click on the link in the post #1 to listen later.

Will

Comment

Just finished listening to the last half of this, Will and Alice.
          :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I agree with Alice, what Will is doing by running himself ragged, bringing these interviews/information forward, is a huge service.

I agree with Will, that what Alice has to bring forth is enormously valuable, including taking an openly science-based stance - by that I mean, sticking up for what is knowable instead of for what isn't, sticking up for thinking that is based on what is knowable (that which has been put through Occam's thresher/harvester/composter/wood chipper already), instead of sticking up for ideas that are completely untestable and therefore ended up on a two-hundred year-old conceptual junk heap.

With every Alice stepping out there is one less massage therapist in the shadows, in service to a mindset that is guru-worshipping and woo-drenched.

So, good work Alice and Will! :clap2::clap2::clap2:
          You have raised the bar a whole bunch lately.
          Diane
          www.dermoneuromodulation.com
          SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
          HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
          Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
          Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
          @PainPhysiosCan
          WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
          @WCPTPTPN
          Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
          SomaSimple on Facebook
          @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Interesting interview Will and Alice. Thanks for taking the time.

Great singing Caro. Wow!
            "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

I couldn't help the name of my school. You should see my certificate! It's got a little rainbow ribbon on it! I'll bet yours are b-o-r-i-n-g. Mine's just embarrassing.

It was great fun talking to Will and fun for me to remember the conversation.

It is frustrating the almost complete lack of rational thinking in my profession but there are, and have been, a few well-informed souls out there. I have sought them out and learned what I could from them. In the last few years those connections became unavailable and I've felt very isolated. This past year has been tremendous as I've made wonderful connections that have provided support, encouragement, revitalized my education, and given me a place to converse with people I trust whose heads are screwed on half straight.

In public, I try to remain as calm, polite, and informational as I am. In private, I'll express my frustration a little more bluntly. So, if you'll indulge me for a moment . . . It is endlessly frustrating to me, not only the lack of critical thinking in my profession but the deep ignorance and often unbelievable arrogance. It's stunning at times. (The most recent off-the-scale example - an MT on another forum suggested, in all seriousness, that a very sick person with a very resistant case of pneumonia, who is in an induced coma, be given intravenous hydrogen peroxide. I am not making this up.) It just makes me want to crawl into my hole, see what few clients who find me, and avoid the rest of my profession as much as I can.

And if I had to, I would. However, it's not healthy for me and it's not healthy for the greater good. We all, as one sort of manual therapist or another, do what we do because we want to be helpful in some way. The best way I know to do that is to continue to learn, to seek out those who also are learning, to do my best to maintain personal and intellectual integrity and find the company of those with similar values and interests.

I got into trouble the very first hour I started massage school when my teacher made an obvious and glaring error about basic molecular theory. Thinking she just misspoke, I said something and quickly learned that in this profession, people don't know basic science and don't like to be challenged. They find it quite annoying to bring up basic science or ask the most obvious rational questions. So, I've been annoying MTs since 1991. I try not to be too much of a jerk about it but at the same time, I just can't let blatant, glaring nonsense go by.

I hope to get more skillful and it seems recently I'm finding some outlets for getting the word out. This morning I got an invitation from the president of our state chapter AMTA to submit my recent article on energy work to the newsletter. That goes out in paper form to all our state members and in email form to members in four states. This, in my mind, is good news, that there's support for having a civilized discussion about an issue that is divisive and, in my mind, the most important issue in our profession - whether we are going to be professional and rational or continue to act as if reality were optional.

I thank all of you here for the encouragement and support. You are part of my growth. I'm honored and humbled to be in your company. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

One last thing: my teachers did not cultivate personality worship. They were about the work.

And Carol's song at the end was perfect! I'm a swing dancer and it was a great way to go out!

Comment

Good job Alice. Your actions are commendable. Consumers and providers alike will benefit from your efforts. :thumbs_up
                "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

I will listen to the interview on my way into work this morning but can already feel my confirmation bias kicking in. No matter, I've been at this long enough to know that, in the end, somebody's right and sombody else is wrong. I feel certain that Alice's path has been harder than any taken by a PT such as myself. Her's is a profession distinctly respectful of the ethereal; the invisible and the imaginary. Rational thought often clashes with all of that.

Alice,

Above the rainbow emblazened diploma on your ofiice wall you should put a sign: Alice Sanvito - annoying the profession since '91.

Just an idea.

They're going to put that thing about "energy" in the newsletter?

It's been nice knowin' ya.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Yes, soon you'll be as dead as anyone else around here.
                    Diane
                    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                    @PainPhysiosCan
                    @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                    SomaSimple on Facebook
                    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Hi Alice!

It was a great interview. I am glad you're there raising the bar. I got my diploma at a school owned by a Raëlian. http://www.rael.org/ I kid you not.

And no, I wasn't aware of this prior to my enrollment.

I've tried posting some stuff on the school's FB page. I got this reply :

''Dear Carol, yes we are very much interested in the school becoming neuroconversant. Could you tell us more about this Donald Melzick?''

Sigh.
                      Carol Lynn Chevrier LMT
                      " The truth is, people may see things differently. But they don't really want to. '' Don Draper.

Comment

I loved the interview and several thoughts came to me while I drove and listened. I wish I could remember what they were.

Don't worry, they'll come.

What I do remember is that while in a sauna you should take care to hit each other with the right tree, or something ilke that.

Great job guys. It's nice to hear that the word (such as it is) is being spread through other professions.

We all treat the same problems - pretty much.
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

What I do remember is that while in a sauna you should take care to hit each other with the right tree, or something ilke that.
                          :clap2: Barrett, that was funny.

What I took away was the way Alice was able to articulate and express in English a glimpse into the vast (and rather unforgivingly precise!) world of interoception/inner kinesthetic perception, both from an experiential and from a practitioner point of view.

:thumbs_up
                          Diane
                          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                          @PainPhysiosCan
                          @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                          SomaSimple on Facebook
                          @somasimple

Comment

Alice,

Years ago I read on a "bodyworkers listserv" that Riverdance would hire massage therapists in the cities in which they performed. Between acts they would get massages.

Is that the way it worked?
                            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Diane View Post
                              :clap2: Barrett, that was funny.

What I took away was the way Alice was able to articulate and express in English a glimpse into the vast (and rather unforgivingly precise!) world of interoception/inner kinesthetic perception, both from an experiential and from a practitioner point of view.

:thumbs_up
                              Great overview, Diane!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Comment

Working...
                              X