This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diane
    And you Mike? How is skin stretching going for you?
    Thank you for asking. Well I'm still using it but I find often that I can not shut down the tender spot even if I try differnt directions of skin stretch. I still have some problem with those tender gluteus and sometimes the paraspinalmuscles in the T/L junction area. It feels like the tender spots in these areas are deeper. But of course we are talking of feelingsand palpatoric illusions here. I'm waiting for that book of yours...teeth:

About "Soft Tissue Manual Therapy" The conception has already been established and thats why I think people in our business will mixe up the concept with different kinds of massage and triggerpoint techniques.
    Neuromodulation by skin stretching, NMbSS now how's that for your title on your callingcard...guess not
    I'm still using the term "skin stretch" because as Diane said that is what you actually are doing.

Mike

Comment

I'd agree that the term "soft tissue" has been rendered meaningless, mainly because it can mean just about anything.

Mike,

My advice for dealing with those "tender spots" you find so troublesome: Ignore such things entirely before, during and after care.

Not that you asked or anything.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I still have some problem with those tender gluteus and sometimes the paraspinalmuscles in the T/L junction area.
        Try using one or two those nice padded door stop chiro gizmos known as SOT blocks; stick them in side by side under a prone patient's hip on the side opposite to the one you're treating; sit on the doorstop side of the patient, then bend the patient slightly sideways around the fulcrum; one hand is grasping the outside of the foot/pulling skin all the way down the outside of the leg, the other is reaching across them to palpate their cranky spot with the other hand. Very handy for the tough bits by T/L and on outside of pelvis.

Sometimes I add what I call the "headbutt technique" (warning patient first of course..); I'm sitting on the blocked side of the patient pulling their leg, sidebending them slightly around the fulcrum, I take up all slack, then I put the top of my head against the side of the pelvis or right on the trochanter and load in slowly, pushing with it, literally. Gives me the equivalent of a third hand. The pressure adds increased proprioceptive sidebend, a wee bit of lateral translation maybe and a third point of contact, which either enriches the input to the sensory cortex or confuses it sufficiently such that the patient's cranky bits can relax even more. Perhaps there's something useful going on biomechanically although I'm guessing it's mostly confined to mechanoreceptors not joints.

PS: If that doesn't work, take Barrett's advice.
        Diane
        www.dermoneuromodulation.com
        SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
        HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
        Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
        @PainPhysiosCan
        WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
        @WCPTPTPN
        Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane,

How about neurodermal release?

I know you'll hate release thanks to the MFR crowd.

How about neurodermal contact? Or neurodermal convergence?

Nick
          Nick Matheson, PT
          Strengthen Your Health

Comment

Thanks for the idea Nick. I like the neurodermal part. I think I could live with Neurodermal Therapy. NDT. I think it could even grow in stickiness. As long as the acronym isn't already associated with something else, like neurodynamic technique.
            Diane
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            @PainPhysiosCan
            @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I think Neurodevelopmental Therapy already has NDT.
              Neurocutaneous Therapy? NCT?
              Eric Matheson, PT

Comment

Cutaneal therapy?

Neurocutaneal Tx?

Neurocutaneal modulation?

Neurocutaneal stretch?

Ectocutaneal something?

The visual thesaurus online might help. A few free searches are allowed.

Nari

Comment

NEURODERMOMODULATION

I had an epiphany :lightbulb about this on the way to work this morning. I am going to call everything I do, NeuroDermoModulation.

NDM.

Thank you Nick for the first two bits. Thank you Ron Melzack for the last bit. I like it because it covers everything ectodermal, does not include anything mesodermal, has a nice sound (no c or k or t sounds in it), and hasn't been taken yet. So it's MINE! All MINE!!! You read it here first with a date affixed. Haha.

It has Neuro in it, so we can guess brain is involved. It has Dermo in it so we can guess skin is involved. It has Modulation in it, so we know something active, some sort of change in the nervous system is going on in a treatment or interactive sense. I really like this one. It even has MOM in it, and MOD in it, to soothe the subliminalists. It's big enough to include all sorts of technical stuff, all sorts of social grooming approaches, without any baggage or mesodermal memeplexes from our soft tissue past. It's specific enough to be about the nervous system without having to have "pain" as a word spelled out. Most of all I like that it is neuromodulation but with skin consideration added right in the middle, the tasty bit of the name sandwich.
                  Diane
                  Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                  @PainPhysiosCan
                  @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                  SomaSimple on Facebook
                  @somasimple

Comment

That's great, Diane, but just a reminder that neuromodulation exists as a word in itself, as electrical stimulation, widely practised with little gadgets the docs and researchers play with.
                    A tad confusing to the uninitiated?? maybe not...

Nari

Comment

The word neuromodulation also exists in the pharmacological world, dripping this or that drug onto/into nervous systems to see how they respond. Putting "dermo" right into it takes care of potential confusion with either of those two huge research rivers of exploration. Neurodermomodulation can be a river of exploration of the human nervous system with the dual objective of reduced threat/pain, increased survival/function used by us human primate social groomers.
                      Diane
                      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                      @PainPhysiosCan
                      @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                      SomaSimple on Facebook
                      @somasimple

Comment

Now what the heck is wrong with:

"interactive inhibitory and exitatory integumental manual and digital nervous system fascilitation technique"

Jeez - so simple...
                        We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                        Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Bas,

In the current therapy climate, there is no doubt that from a marketing perspective your suggestion would be far more suscessful.:teeth:
                          Luke Rickards
                          Osteopath

Comment

Bas, certainly, "IIEIMDNSFT" as you have described it above, would find a home within the scope of or under the broad umbrella of NDM, but I doubt it would displace it entirely or ever replace it.
                            Diane
                            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                            @PainPhysiosCan
                            @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                            SomaSimple on Facebook
                            @somasimple

Comment

What about a S4
                              Soft Sensory Skin Stretch.
                              Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
                              We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
                              If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
                              bernard

Comment

OK, NDM. Blah. What am I going to do with that? Makes waaay too much sense...
                                Seriously - good one Diane! Get that circled TM behind it soon!
                                We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                                Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Working...
                                X