This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution, Embryology

I'm going to stick this thread here in the DNM forum, and add posts that are about where our physicality comes from.
    Here is an interesting article in Seed Magazine by P.Z. Myers on neck bones. He discusses why the general rule for mammals is 7 cervical vertebrae, whereas in other animals (e.g., birds) the number can vary enormously. He goes on to discuss how (human) embryos with ribs on the 7th, more often than not do not survive to birth let alone adulthood. Apparently cervical ribs are usually part of a cluster of "abnormalities" that are not generally life-enhancing.
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Embryology of the CNS

Here is an isolated chapter extract. Langmans Embryology Chapter 19 Central Nervous System Development.

Diane check your library disc for full details.

Pernkopf

Comment

Thanks Karen.
      Diane
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      @PainPhysiosCan
      @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Thanks indeed, will be a nice read for my RCAMT exam.

Frédéric
        Frédéric Wellens, pht
        «We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.»
        «
        Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
        »
        Friedrich Nietzsche
        www.physioaxis.ca
        chroniquesdedouleur blog

Comment

Hi Frederic and Diane,

I attached another file for you. It is board review material of neuroembryology. I really like these particular books. Frederic try this link too. Sorry to be so enthusiastic. I love books.

Pernkopf
          Last edited by Karen L; 30-10-2008, 07:29 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

Here is a paper that discusses the Cervical Rib and survivability issue. It is interesting that the anomaly can be induced by fertility treatment.

Evolutionary conserved structures as indicators of medical risks: increased incidence of cervical ribs after ovarian hyperstimulation in mice.

Karen

Comment

Neurocristopathy n. Maldevelopment or neoplasia of tissues originating in the neural crest.

Association of rib anomalies and malignancy in childhood

R. Schumacher1 , A. Mai1 and P. Gutjahr1
              (1) University Children's Hospital, Langenbeckstrasse 1, W-6500 Mainz, Federal Republic of GermanyReceived: 6 June 1991 Accepted: 28 October 1991
              Abstract A relationship exists between tumours and malformations both generally and in particular combinations. This is also valid for minor errors of morphogenesis suggesting that embryonic tumours are an expression of aberrant intra-uterine morphogenesis. We speculated that these minor aberrations might also manifest in other morphological defects, especially in minor anomalies and malformations of the ribs. We reviewed chest roentgenographs of 1000 children with malignancies for rib anomalies and compared them to 200 patients with mainly infectious diseases. We found 242 rib anomalies in 218 children with tumours (21.8%) and 11 (5.5%) in children without malignancy. This difference was statistically highly significant (P<0.001). A high incidence of cervical ribs was found in neuroblastoma (33%), brain tumour (27.4%), leukaemia (26.8%), soft tissue sarcoma (24.5%), Wilms tumour (23.5%) and Ewing sarcoma (17.1%). Only neuroblastoma showed a high incidence of rib bifurcation (4.5%). The increased incidence of these mesenchymal defects in children with malignancies may be another clue for an altered morphogenesis in tumour origin. In neuroblastoma the rib anomaly may be another expression of neurocristopathy as proposed for the association of congenital heart disease and neuroblastoma.
              Key words Ribs - Leukaemia - Hodgkin disease - Neuroblastoma - Wilms tumour

Karen

Comment

Some links for Diane, et. al.

Link 1

Link 2
                "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

Man those look juicy Jon!
                  I can access them through my library affilliation but can't quite grab 'em, because I can't seem to work adobe reader very well.

I wonder, Karen, if you're reading, if you would have better luck.
                  Diane
                  Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                  @PainPhysiosCan
                  @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                  SomaSimple on Facebook
                  @somasimple

Comment

The articles from Jon's links are here

Comment

THANK you Clarett! :teeth::thumbs_up
                      Diane
                      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                      @PainPhysiosCan
                      @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                      SomaSimple on Facebook
                      @somasimple

Comment

I want to thank Jon and Clarett for bring these two parts of an article to my attention and to here. I read them over last night, and they're good. I do not think I've ever seen an overview before of the embryology AND evolution across the animal world, with a particular focus on skin function like this, ever before. Both sections are great. Thank you. :teeth::thumbs_up

In particular I gained more insight into how the immune system and neural sensing system in skin balance each other, the importance of Vit D/riboflavin balance, how human skin is, well, neotenous by remaining so thin and un-specialized throughout life, how sharks not only have daggers for teeth, how their whole skin is made out of sharp tiny teeth-like bumps. Like sandpaper. Used as sandpaper. How important is is for every critter under the sun and under the water to have integument of some kind. How the need for a sensing boundary goes all the way back and down to single-cells.

I remembered that humans have no parasympathetic innervation at all to skin, except a bit to the lips (as I recall) - most of the vasculature is handled by sympathetic innervation (mostly to constrict it), and whatever else goes on autonomically in skin, the sensory nerves themselves handle it. Leak out some substance or other to either rile the vasculature, make it widen. It all fits somehow. These are all important puzzle pieces. Must. Know. More.

It ties in (at least in my mind) with Seth Grant's work on synapse evolution. First there were synapses (or at least there were openings in single-cell membranes) before there were neurons. It is SO COOL that we still have certain synaptic proteins in common with yeast cells. It boggles the mind. So far his theory stands, impeccably researched and so far more elegant than any predating it.
                        Diane
                        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                        @PainPhysiosCan
                        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                        SomaSimple on Facebook
                        @somasimple

Comment

Here is a slide I made recently. It's pretty basic but fairly clear, I hope.
                          Attached Files
                          Diane
                          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                          @PainPhysiosCan
                          @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                          SomaSimple on Facebook
                          @somasimple

Comment

Seems okay to me. Perhaps clarify the color!

Marc

Comment

Mabo, I was planning to explain during the slide that the colors represent the three basic embryonic tissue layers.
                              Diane
                              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                              @PainPhysiosCan
                              @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                              SomaSimple on Facebook
                              @somasimple

Comment

Working...
                              X