This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref DNM REFERENCE LIST

I have started (finally, after many abandoned attempts) to build a reference list. It's on a google doc, so I'll be able to add papers as I come across them.

(I worked all day long on this, although you'd never know it by looking at it. Not much of a scholar. Not able to handle vast amounts of data. Not cluey enough about RefWorks. Had it nailed at U of A, but at U of S, so far no one has stepped up to help me get started, even after a couple email requests. Guess I'll have to get on the phone. I've developed telephobia, so I'll have to be in just the right mood for that.)
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Are there still spots left for the DMN course? If i can find a budget way of going to the UK i would love to join the course. I am a 3rd year student of psychomotor therapy, so I am no expert.

I tried to access some of the links, like the manual, but can't get access, do you have to write a certain amount of posts to be able to get access to some other parts of the forum or something?

I most read in here as I don't think I can contribute with stuff yet, hopefull I can later on.

regards

Lasse
    Denmark
    Lasse Petersen
    BA in relaxation and Psychomotor Therapy

Comment

Hi Lasse,

It takes around ten posts to get access, as for places on the course I am not sure about where you would stand with being a student Diane would be the one to say whether it is appropriate, I will check with Dave where we are we numbers.

Regards

ANdy
      "Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Comment

I will leave it up to Dave and ANdy, Lasse.
        May I ask, what is psychomotor therapy?
        Diane
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        @PainPhysiosCan
        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Wow! This really puts to shame the huge study-binder of references on touch I've been putting together (which I must admit, I haven't worked on very much since my boy's been born... go figure.)

Thanks Diane. I'm gonna plow through it and see what I'm missing that would be relevant to my research project.
          Erik
          If things didn't change we'd stop noticing them very quickly.
          - Barrett Dorko.

Comment

Help yourself! :teeth:
            Diane
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            @PainPhysiosCan
            @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

Comment

Hey Diana.

think my first post should have been in the seminar thread, sorry.

Here is a link to my school's webpage where there is some infomation about the education.

http://www.viauc.com/healthsciences/...orTherapy.aspx

The philosophy of psychomotor therapy is to help/assist the client (some of the old ladies who invented it called it students instead of clients, and i think this is a pretty good way to put it). It is sort of an exploration of how you function and move like a person, and to discover the relationship between tension and relaxation. The main focus for me is the treatment part which is very gentle. It is sort of an exploration of the body for the client, where the psychomotor therapist is asking questions/coaching the client to get more awareness on different areas of the body.

As I said difficult to explain :teeth:

Andy: That's why I am asking, because I don't want to participate in the course if i need to study more stuff first, and perhaps she will come to the UK again. I am going to write my Bachellor from next summer, and this subject about touch is quite interesting and also a vital part of my own education.

regards
              Lasse
              Lasse Petersen

Comment

Thank you for the information, Lasse.
                Diane
                Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                @PainPhysiosCan
                @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                SomaSimple on Facebook
                @somasimple

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylion View Post

Andy: That's why I am asking, because I don't want to participate in the course if i need to study more stuff first, and perhaps she will come to the UK again. I am going to write my Bachellor from next summer, and this subject about touch is quite interesting and also a vital part of my own education.

regards
                  Lasse
                  Hi Lasse

have discussed this with Dave, at present course is full but we will put you on the reserve list in case someone pulls out - is that okay?

regards

ANdy
                  "Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Comment

Hey Andy

That sounds awesome, what is most important to read to be able to get the most benefit out of the course. I am not able to access the manual yet, so i can't read that one. Could be nice to know where to start.

regards

Lazylion
                    Lasse Petersen

Comment

Hi Lasse

If a place comes up we will let you know immediately.

Is psychomotor therapy similar to sensori-motor psychotherapy a la Pat Ogden et al?

regards

ANdy

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylion View Post
                        I am not able to access the manual yet, so i can't read that one.

Lazylion
                        Hi Lasse,
                        Once you have made 10 posts and been registered for a month, you'll be able to access the original manual here on SS. :angel:
                        Diane
                        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                        @PainPhysiosCan
                        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                        SomaSimple on Facebook
                        @somasimple

Comment

Hey Andy

I didn't see your question, I have just returned from work.

to be honest i don't know Pat Ogden, but will try to google her later on.

Psychomotor therapy is difficult to explain, and there isn't much scientific work behind it, some of the inventors kept personal journals from klients they worked with and tried to find bits and pieces to fit the puzzle and all the time asked questions about their work.

Then I read Barett's article "Asking why" and the simple contact, and then i though, wow this is really Psychomotor therapy, or at least some of it, with some science behind it, and then i got really excited.

Things like this:

many failures with coercive technique have taught me that Paul knows a lot more about what to do than I. If I accept his resistance to movement toward the center as appropriate, he will show me the path out of trouble.”

and this

We tend to think that we are in a healing profession and the pressure is on us to provide a cure. Evolutionary reasoning invites a shift of thinking to consider that this flexed and deviated posture in the patient example, might be a very adaptive response and one not to be meddled with? Would you ever consider saying to a patient: “Don’t worry about your flexed and shifted posture it’s very useful and protective at the present time - it will get better as your problem gets better, and at the appropriate time I will help you to gradually overcome it. If we attempt to correct the way you stand and move too quickly, we may actually prolong your problem.”

really resonated with me, because this is really what we do. We never do quick fixes and manipulations. As i wrote earlier, the founders called their clients students instead. A typical treatment consists of 10-15 talk, maybe some posture evalutation, but as an active part of an exercise, like asking the patient swings gently back and first and noticing how front and back work together. We learn never to say anything directly to the patient, like, you are tight in your calves, that might be because you have your weight more on the front of your feet. Instead it is more like a gentle exploration together with the client, always asking question about her experience.

Then she/he lies down on the matress and you work with the body. you notice how the client get down on the matress is asking how she is "how do you feel" if the client says "I feel very relaxed" and you can see she is tensed up you know there is something out of sync, with her experience of her body and the way the I see the body is reaction.

The treatment is some very gentle strokes stretches designet to, i would have said re-align, but that is not a very good word for it, but more like a helping hand so the client can experience her body in a better way.

while i am working I ask her questions, and in my head i sort of do a cros reference to what i notice when i have my hands on her muscles and what the client has told me about her life, tear and wear.

We do distinquish between defects and defences, and i must say it is quite hard to work in this way, I tend get too excited on behalf of my client and fall into the "I want to take care of you and fix you" role, which is a no go in our profession.

To be honest up until now I have been very skeptical about this because i was much more into quick fixes and manipulations and stuff because it Seemed to work much better, but i guess it is more what i call the parking lot syndrome, if there is no thought behind what you are doing then the clients way of perceiving her own body can't follow the adjustments and you revert into old habits.

So I am getting more and more excited about my own profession when i read stuff in here.
                          My teachers are really experienced, but they do unfortunately not have the science to back up what they tell us, it is like there is a big gaping hole there to be filled with science stuff, and that was the reason i joined somasimple, and why I was/and still am so eager to meet and hear Diane.

I do work with clients already, I have been coaching for many years and when i started my education i sort incoporated the stuff i learnt from school.

hope that made some sense, if not feel free to ask me.

regards

Lasse
                          Lasse Petersen

Comment

Slideshow references

Here's the entire list.
                            Here is a copy of just the ...

SLIDESHOW REFERENCES

1. David S. Butler (Author); Sensitive Nervous System. Noigroup Publications; 1 edition (January 1, 2000)

2. Vilanayur S Ramachandran MD PhD (Editor); Encyclopedia of the Human Brain, Four-Volume Set. Academic Press; 1 edition (July 10, 2002)

3. IASP Taxonomy page: http://www.iasp-pain.org/Content/Nav...ns/default.htm

4. Waldman SD; Pain Management 2nd Ed (Saunders) 2011. Joel Katz and Ronald Melzack; Ch1: A Conceptual Framework for Understanding Pain in the Human

5. David L. Felten MD PhD (Author), Ralph Jozefowicz (Author); Netter's Atlas of Human Neuroscience. Saunders; 1 edition (July 15, 2003)

6. Morrison et al; Reduced C-afferent fibre density affects perceived pleasantness and empathy for touch. 2011 Mar 4; 134(4): 1116-1126 (FULL ACCESS)
                            7. Olausson H et al.; Unmyelinated tactile afferents signal touch and project to insular cortex. Nat Neurosci. 2002 Sept; 5(9):900-4. (FULL ACCESS)

8. Björnsdotter M et al.; Somatotopic Organization of Gentle Touch Processing in the Posterior Insular Cortex. J Neurosci 2009 July 22 ; 29(29) 9314-9320 (FULL ACCESS)

9. Eduardo E. Benarroch (Editor), Jasper R. Daube (Editor), Barbara F. Westmoreland (Editor), Kelly D. Flemming (Editor); Mayo Clinic Medical Neuroscience, Fifth Edition. Informa Healthcare; 5 edition (October 15, 2008)

10. Smith CUM; Biology of sensory systems (Wiley, 2009). p. 448

11. thebrain.mcgill.ca

12. Gallace, A., Spence, C., The science of interpersonal touch: An overview. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. (2008), doi:10.1016/j.neubiorev.2008.10.004 (FULL ACCESS)

13. Hertenstein MJ; The communication of Emotion via Touch. Emotion 2009 Vol 9 No 4, 566-573

14. Ossipov MH; Pain Pathways: Descending Modulation. Ed. Larry R Squire; Encyclopedia of Neuroscience 2009 Elsevier Ltd.
                            15. Keysers C; Somatosensation in social perception. Nature Reviews Neuroscience. June 2010
                            16. Proske, Gandevia; The kinaesthetic senses. J Physiol 587.17 (2009) pp 4139–4146 (FULL ACCESS)

17. Neugebauer V, Galhardo V, Maione S, Mackey SC ; Forebrain Pain Mechanisms, Brain Res Rev. 2009 April; 60(1): 226-242 (FULL ACCESS)
                            18. Benedetti F et al.; Neurobiological Mechanisms of the Placebo Effect J. Neurosci. 2005;25:10390-10402 (FULL ACCESS)

19. Rempel D, Lundborg G and Dahlin L; Pathophysiology of Nerve Compression Syndromes: Response of Peripheral Nerves to Loading. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 1999 Nov 01;81(11):1600-10 (FULL ACCESS)20. Lundborg G; Intraneural microcirculation. Orthop Clin North Am. 1988 Jan;19(1):1-12.

21.Steve K. Lee and Scott W. Wolfe; Peripheral Nerve Injury and Repair J Am Acad Orthop Surg July/August 2000; 8:243-252. Adapted with permission from Lundborg 1988 (FULL ACCESS)

22. Butler D; Mobilization of the Nervous System Churchill Livingstone; 1 edition (January 15, 1991)

23. David Rempel, Lars Dahlin, Göran Lundborg; Pathophysiology of Nerve Compression Syndromes: Response of Peripheral Nerves to Loading. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 1999 Nov 01;81(11):1600-10 (FULL ACCESS)

24. Marko M. Pecina (Author), Andrew D. Markiewitz (Author), Jelena Krmpotic-Nemanic (Author); Tunnel Syndromes: Peripheral Nerve Compression Syndromes. CRC Press; 3 edition (August 16, 2001)

25. Netter FA; Atlas of Human Anatomy. Novartis Medical Education (August 1989)

26. Thieme Teaching Assistant (online)

27. Susan Standring PhD DSc (Author); Gray's Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice, Expert Consult - Online and Print 40e. Churchill Livingstone; 40 edition (November 21, 2008)
                            28. Purves D, Augustine GJ, Fitzpatrick D, et al., editors. Neuroscience. 2nd edition. Sunderland (MA): Sinauer Associates; 2001.Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10799/

29. http://www.biopsypunch.com/biopsietechniken (found during search for “relaxed skin lines” in Google Images)

30. http://www.karitoverud.com/illustrations (found during search for “relaxed skin lines” in Google Images)

31. Linda C. Lundblad, Håkan W. Olausson, Clas Malmeström, Helena Backlund Wasling; Processing in prefrontal cortex underlies tactile direction discrimination: An fMRI study of a patient with a traumatic spinal cord lesion. Neuroscience Letters, Volume 483, Issue 3, 15 October 2010, Pages 197-200

32. Dissection photos Diane Jacobs 2007

33. Carmine D. Clemente PhD (Author); Clemente Anatomy A Regional Atlas of the Human Body 4th Edition. Williams & Wilkins 1997

34. Miciak M, Gross DP, Joyce A. A review of the psychotherapeutic 'common factors' model and its application in physical therapy: the need to consider general effects in physical therapy practice. Scand J Caring Sci. 2012 Jun;26(2):394-403
                            Diane
                            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                            @PainPhysiosCan
                            @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                            SomaSimple on Facebook
                            @somasimple

Comment

Working...
                            X