X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip New treatment encounter

New treatment encounter I

All about introducing a new topic to a new patient in a new language.
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

thoroughly enjoyed that post, I regret having been quite so flippant in that earlier thread regarding backlash.

I taste pie

ANdy
    "Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Comment

No worries ANdy.

Here is Part II.

Lundborg pictures related to the PNS.
      Last edited by Diane; 18-02-2012, 07:25 AM. Reason: Add link
      Diane
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      @PainPhysiosCan
      @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane, I think this is brilliant.

Is it possible that there is some way of alluding to prejudicial terms? By that I mean the use of certain words to refer to and thus subtly describe various ethnic groups. Eliminating this in children takes at least a generation.

If we consider referring to muscles and posture in the ways they commonly are, and then deciding personally not to do that, our influence on the next generation of therapists may have some impact.

After all, how powerfully misdirecting is it for someone who's supposed to know to say, "It looks like you pulled a muscle" after a brief visial and manually probing exam? A civilian wouldn't know how phenomenally clueless such a statement is. They think this "professional" has special knowledge.We know they haven't read anything about pain in the last 20 years.

If they look authoritative things just get worse.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Diane really great information there.

Barrett, what you said makes sense to me. I personally think that i a big part of the way out. That and when pulled muscle type references are made to just say, hey that's the way my grand mother thought, it 2012 now! In other words, putting that thinking in it place, the past.

Well maybe that's not true, i bet before we knew so much about 'muscles' at least some treatments were unknowingly nervous system oriented. Yoga, Qi Gong etc certainly have hints. (Well yoga is loosing that, and now developed to a 1950's body view plus fascia)

Anyway, Anoop's comments about common sense, aside, i still maintain, the basic paradigm is really common sense, it's just been beaten out of us. Flipping the tables is in order!

Comment

New treatment encounter Part III
            Diane
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            @PainPhysiosCan
            @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

Comment

New treatment encounter Part IV.
              Diane
              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
              @PainPhysiosCan
              @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
              SomaSimple on Facebook
              @somasimple

Comment

Really enjoying this series of blogs Diane. Excellent stuff and very thought provoking.

Thank you

Comment

You're welcome!
                  Thanks for finding that new image.
                  Diane
                  Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                  @PainPhysiosCan
                  @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                  SomaSimple on Facebook
                  @somasimple

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
                    Diane, I think this is brilliant.
                    Thank you Barrett.

Is it possible that there is some way of alluding to prejudicial terms? By that I mean the use of certain words to refer to and thus subtly describe various ethnic groups. Eliminating this in children takes at least a generation.

If we consider referring to muscles and posture in the ways they commonly are, and then deciding personally not to do that, our influence on the next generation of therapists may have some impact.

After all, how powerfully misdirecting is it for someone who's supposed to know to say, "It looks like you pulled a muscle" after a brief visial and manually probing exam? A civilian wouldn't know how phenomenally clueless such a statement is. They think this "professional" has special knowledge.We know they haven't read anything about pain in the last 20 years.

If they look authoritative things just get worse.
                    As far as I'm concerned, Mesoderm-ese and ortho terms in general are full of prejudicial terms and words and concepts and misleads. In fact I'd love to see the entire language of Mesoderm become a dead language. By dead, I mean extinguished completely. But that's just me, probably.

I changed some of the pictures in New treatment encounter IV, and New treatment encounter II, got braver with Lundborg, added the new one Adam B showed us, and threw in some slides I built showing the internal regulation system.

Here is another I just prepared, from Surgical Disorders of the Peripheral Nerves - quite good IMO.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Diane; 19-02-2012, 07:12 PM.
                    Diane
                    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                    @PainPhysiosCan
                    @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                    SomaSimple on Facebook
                    @somasimple

Comment

I grew up listening to the songs from musicals and my brother Kevin reminded me of this one from South Pacific yesterday.

Makes you think about the language the culture uses to describe dysfunction in such an unrealistic way, doesn't it?
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Speaking of culture, this descibes what we do NOT need (twittered by SandyHiltonPT).
                        Attacks paid for by big business are 'driving science into a dark era'.

"Those of us who grew up in the sixties, when we put men on the Moon, now have to watch as every Republican candidate for this year's presidential election denies the science behind climate change and evolution. That is a staggering state of affairs and it is very worrying," said Professor Naomi Oreskes, of the University of California, San Diego...."It has taken the scientific community a long time to realise what it is up against," says Oreskes. "In the past, it thought the problem was just a matter of education. All its practitioners had to do was make an effort to reach out and talk to teachers, the public and business leaders. Then these people would see the issues and understand the need for action.
                        "But now they are beginning to realise what they are really up against: massive organised attempts to undermine scientific data by people for whom that data represents a threat to their status quo. Given the power of these people, scientists will have their work cut out dealing with them."
                        :sad::thumbs_do

This has to do with science around global warming/climate change, but it easily transmits into any domain or level of science, because it's ideological. I.e., Mesodermalism and its clunky misrepresenting language may continue to win into the foreseeable future.

I hope brain mapping etc. as a science exploration can continue without becoming colonized by dark-age thinking. But somehow I doubt it.
                        Diane
                        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                        @PainPhysiosCan
                        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                        SomaSimple on Facebook
                        @somasimple

Comment

New treatment encounter Part V
                          Diane
                          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                          @PainPhysiosCan
                          @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                          SomaSimple on Facebook
                          @somasimple

Comment

:clap2:THANK YOU:clap2:

These blogs are what patient cancellations were made for - the paper work has just been de-prioritised.
                            Peering over the shoulders of giants.

Know pain. Know gain.

Comment

Again thanks Diane, this is great stuff, i hope you don't mind if i share it.

Comment

Working...
                              X