X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Webinars

I like the format of webinar teaching.

First, I get to make slides, and once I learned how to make slides, I found I loved making them. There is something about arranging and rearranging and organizing information on slides so that it is visually interesting (at least to me) as well as conceptually interesting that engages my brain, that captures it, that makes it focus, better than reading and underlining does. So, I get to make slides.

Second, I get to build a story out of slides that will have a beginning, middle and an end. So it's like a book, but more visual. And less writing.

Third, I get to tell the story to people who are far away but who I can't see, so I don't feel nervous. And I don't have to travel/go through airport security/worry about being mugged/have swollen ankles/deal with lost luggage. All good.:thumbs_up

Fourth, I get paid. It works out to about 2¢/hour, probably, but still, I get paid. :thumbs_up

I just did a second one of these, last night, for a group of osteopaths in New Zealand, for Nic Lucas' and Rob Moran's company, HealthProfessionalCPD.com.

The actual webinars themselves are property of the company so I can't link to them. However, the slides I made for the presentation last night on the neuromatrix model of pain, are attached as a PDF. Much of the information I talked about is right on the slides, so here they are in case anyone is interested in reading through a bunch of slides, minus my voice and story-line.

The only drawback to producing a set of teaching material for a webinar is that I have WAY too much time to obsess over it and no way to see if what I'm building is on the mark for what the organizers expect or even want. I have to wait for feedback about it. Total creative freedom is a luxury which at the same time provokes anxiety. Which I have had to learn how to cope with.
    Still, that luxury of total creative freedom is something I would never want to trade for the security of more troopiness. And out of all the apparent chaos is finally emerging into my field of awareness the possible backbone for a potential book. Still a daydream but less vague than before. Sometimes pareidolia is a good thing.
    Attached Files
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Very cool Diane. I had lost track of Nic and Rob's company so I'm glad you're producing something for them and brought them back to my attention. I just took an EDUCATA course recommended by Cory in another thread and I'll be interested in what other companies are able to produce.

Do you have any idea whether continuing education credit will be available for PTs in the US?
    "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

You mean, from Rob and Nic's company? I have no idea.

I'm asking Rob if it's possible to organize pay-per-view or something, so that people, if they want, could watch just the webinars I did. I hope he looks at that suggestion. A pay-per-view would make sense, in that the webinars are already done, he doesn't have to be there live, people could access them through some kind of automation system, he would get paid, I'd get a residual, maybe it could count as a cont-ed credit anywhere in the world... I could post a link, send him business..
      It works in my own head, but I have no idea what the practical, legal, international or interprofessional issues are from his side.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look Jon, and for the feedback.
      Diane
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      @PainPhysiosCan
      @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I just downloaded the slides you made available. I like their layout, color, content, etc., even though I've only scanned through them. I did notice your slide of IASP definitions (p 61) and was curious about why the most current IASP definitions I'm typically championing here weren't included. I'm now wondering if those updates haven't been officially adopted (and therefore, I should quit advocating for their use.)

Regardless, I'm surprised how much I'm learning just reading through the slides. Thanks for offering them here.
        "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

I took the definitions straight from the IASP website, just a couple days before the webinar. I figured they were the latest word.
          I thought it was somewhat weird that there was no apparent official definition of "nociception".
          Diane
          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
          @PainPhysiosCan
          @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
          SomaSimple on Facebook
          @somasimple

Comment

Here are the definitions I seem to be constantly obsessing over. You're right that the website doesn't reflect these definitions. I suppose either these updates haven't officially been approved (but it seems they were) or they're a bit slow to update their website.

Comment

Several online formats have emerged and seems to me that your idea is practical Diane. In fact I'd say they are missing out if they are not doing that already. The beauty of the online format is that you can watch it at your convenience. I for one, like the ease of access. I don't tend to go to courses to network so the online format tends to suit my learning desire just fine, so far.
              Cory Blickenstaff, PT, OCS

Pain Science and Sensibility Podcast
              Leaps and Bounds Blog
              My youtube channel

Comment

I'm with you on this Cory. The cost and inconvenience of travel and decreasing continuing education budgets (where such budgets still exist) make online education attractive. Besides reading books and papers, it's where I get my education anyway so it's nice to be able to get credit for it.
                Last edited by Jon Newman; 30-01-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

It can be done.. my entire U of A pain management certificate program is on-line.

(I got an "A" in the first class, two more to go. Yay!)

Much manual therapy could be taught (at least reinforced) through videos, one presumes. I think there is still a place for one-on-one tutoring with a live model though, so some traveling would still have to be involved.
                  Diane
                  Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                  @PainPhysiosCan
                  @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                  SomaSimple on Facebook
                  @somasimple

Comment

I would love to see more info from here presented Webinar style!
                    Tony Friese, PT
                    Vestibular Rehabilitation Competency 2006
                    Wausau, WI

Comment

Bump.
                      Diane
                      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                      @PainPhysiosCan
                      @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                      SomaSimple on Facebook
                      @somasimple

Comment

Have you made any videos or considered making videos of your technique with a dialouge?I know that the materials you have made available are excellent,adding a visual component helps those of us who are visual learners.I would gladly follow the path to available webinars,as your methods are helping my patients and I want to continue to improve from future lessons.
                        And as this is a forum filled with many great therapist,if you had the opportunity to have a library or store of various teachings,I think many people would like to purchase those they like.This may have been discussed,but I'm not good with finding all the things I look for.

Comment

Working...
                        X